Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 07:39 PM

40,955 posts, read 49,260,682 times

Advertisements

Have you considered a moving van ? Austins not that far away and it sounds like you might need a little distance from your mother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 08:00 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,684,987 times
I'm so sorry there is so much drama in your life, but you can help the situation by making a few strategic moves. You can get a pay as you go phone with a year of service for about one hundred bucks - TracPhone or GoPhone. I'd take the phone away from your son and use it yourself, give your phone to your partner, and inform your son that when he runs through a year's worth of minutes on his pay as you go phone he's done with the cell phone until he can buy more time. This would teach him a lesson and prevent you from getting another ridiculously high phone bill. It would also buy you time until the contract is up. At the end of the contract do not enter into another contract with your mother. If she wants to bankroll your son, fine, but you and your partner should be completely out of that arrangement. Best wishes.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:35 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,303,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Have you considered a moving van ? Austins not that far away and it sounds like you might need a little distance from your mother.
LOL so true. She's 45 minutes away currently. Not far enough! We are planning a move out of state in a few years and that will be best for all I think..

I do my best to keep my distance and generally do well until it's holiday or birthday time. Moving farther would fix that huh?

I know I'm ranting on here but it's all very sad, really. My mom is alienating everyone and cannot, will not see it, and it's sadder still because she wasn't always this horrible.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:39 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,303,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I'm so sorry there is so much drama in your life, but you can help the situation by making a few strategic moves. You can get a pay as you go phone with a year of service for about one hundred bucks - TracPhone or GoPhone. I'd take the phone away from your son and use it yourself, give your phone to your partner, and inform your son that when he runs through a year's worth of minutes on his pay as you go phone he's done with the cell phone until he can buy more time. This would teach him a lesson and prevent you from getting another ridiculously high phone bill. It would also buy you time until the contract is up. At the end of the contract do not enter into another contract with your mother. If she wants to bankroll your son, fine, but you and your partner should be completely out of that arrangement. Best wishes.
Thanks. Really the only drama source is my mother... when I refuse to deal with her I live drama-free! If she's not at war with me she is complaining to me about some current "war" with her brother and his wife. My niece (her granddaughter) hasn't spoken to her in a year because, as she put it, "Every interaction was just nasty and who wants to respond to that?" My niece is 22 and just messaged me asking about my mom but doesn't want to talk to her, just wanted to know she is okay.

It's just hard lately because she's been very "in your face" with us.

Thanks for the phone advice, but I don't feel that my son will make this mistake again. It happened months ago, around Christmas when he met this girl, his first big "crush". Since then he has DRASTICALLY limited his usage on his own. He texts mainly and that's unlimited. His minute usage is very very low and because he had to pay for it I think the lesson has sunk in.

But yeah, like I said a few posts ago... NO MORE money anything with her. Lesson painfully learned!

Old 08-02-2008, 10:19 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,258,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
I read the whole thing, actually. I'd contact the phone company and see about cancelling my service. You're obligation is probably up by now anyway, which would cost nothing to cancel. Or, if it's been awhile, it would benefit to cancel with a small fee. Cell phones and internet are usually non-essential items (lots of people have neither). And, as said previously, friends and business shouldn't mix.
With T Mobile, the mom would have to cancel.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:30 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,070,102 times
Oh...this is easy. Everyone get and pay for your own phones already. Step away from the drama...cut the apron strings...you all will be much happier. Well, except your mom....but you don't have to give her your new cell #.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:42 PM

820 posts, read 2,870,588 times
I agree with the others. You're an adult, your partner is an adult - get your own phone plan. If your mom wants and agrees to keep your son on her plan, then his behavior using the phone is her problem. Otherwise, it's up to you if you get him a phone or not. Case closed.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:05 PM

52,323 posts, read 52,784,279 times
This drama is making my head hurt.

Get your own phone plan and act like an adult by paying your own bills. If you your mother wants to put your son on her bill then fine.

Don't mean to be sh**ty but I've had a belly full of drama lately.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:08 AM

126 posts, read 260,956 times
I'd be laughing if you all weren't so totally dysfunctional. Get a phone for you and your son. Your partner should be old enough to get his/her own. Let your mom have hers.

Learn from this ridiculous mess and move on. Sheesh.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:44 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,181,065 times
If your name is not on the plan, then give back the phones. If she wants to pay for your son's, remind her that you're not responsible if anything like that $800 bill happens again.

For yourself, get a prepaid phone for emergencies only.

And never make deals with family again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships