Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2023, 06:50 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times

Advertisements

What might be appropriate is a respected nonprofit organization that will speak for said person having done a background check to see that thing are indeed serious, and that there will be fallow up to see that funds are dispensed as advertised.
Someone under desperate circumstances are likely to be willing to be investigated in order to receive help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2023, 06:55 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Someone truly "under desperate circumstances" can easily get help from organizations already in place. There's no need to beg from random people or waste resources verifying that need. I'd guesstimate that 99.9% are scammers and am alarmed that so many are taken in by them.

Old 08-02-2023, 06:58 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
In my experience NextDoor has always been mostly a toxic waste dump, and this bogus panhandling activity is simply the next phase of toxicity, or should I say a--hattery.
Yeah. It didn't help that every member of this private forum has their name and address "verified". Because it's not enforced.
My name and address is not linking to real me. And I am registered in three different cities.
Panhandlers, scammers, wannabe handymen and bogus businesses found a way to register there.

Old 08-02-2023, 07:01 PM

7,098 posts, read 4,825,782 times
I don’t follow Nextdoor, but I belong to a couple of different “neighborhood pages” on facebook. Same stuff goes on there. People just ask for the most random stuff that they want for free!
Plenty of people giving stuff away, too, but the wanters quite outnumber the givers.

Old 08-02-2023, 08:43 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Yeah. It didn't help that every member of this private forum has their name and address "verified". Because it's not enforced.
My name and address is not linking to real me. And I am registered in three different cities.
Panhandlers, scammers, wannabe handymen and bogus businesses found a way to register there.
It seemed like when I signed up, they snail mailed something to my home address with a verification code or something, but I don't think they do that anymore.

Old 08-02-2023, 08:59 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Local food bank is always a good place to either donate or volunteer at instead of giving money to ebeggars. Stuff like people begging for free furniture I can get. It's hard to get rid of furniture nowadays as most places won't take it and the stuff is expensive if you had to move out of a bad situation and need a couch or dining room table. There's often someone someone with unwanted furniture in the neighborhood so you might be able to pick up a free couch and do two people a favor.

Old 08-03-2023, 07:51 AM

11,067 posts, read 6,887,781 times
It sounds like they don't verify by snail mail anymore. They need people actively involved since a lot of people have dipped out.

A few years ago, there was no way to report people, or contact a mod. No way at all. I found that strange, especially when there was so much crap going on, on that one particular neighborhood in mentioned upthread.

Old 08-03-2023, 08:28 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,155,940 times
About a month ago, a lady explained that she had recently lost a lot of weight, in part because she had a large benign tumor removed, and she was wondering if anyone had clothes to give away (and gave the sizes she was looking for) or where she could go to get some inexpensive clothes for herself.

It just so happens I keep a bin going for clothes I get tired of, or clothes I ordered and don't fit right, etc. It was stuff I was intending on giving to Goodwill, but here's a lady in need, and I could help with that need.

So I messaged her and told her what I had. I told her I'd put them on my porch, and gave her my address. Come to find out, the lady lives around the corner from me. She was tickled that some of those clothes were brand new.

Old 08-03-2023, 11:12 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Ours rarely has a request for financial help, more often than not it's a complaint about someone not picking up their dog's droppings, parking too close to the line at the supermarket, parking in front of their house, or someone's kid walking on their lawn. It gets very tiresome. I glance at it but rarely read posts any more, and never contribute.

Old 08-03-2023, 02:06 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Yes. There does seem to be an increase in people posting about their problems, asking for monetary help. Many provide links to their GoFundMe accounts.

It might be that more scam artists have taken to using Nextdoor but it's also possible that more and more people are having some legitimate struggles given the current state of the economy and are turning to their Nextdoor "neighbors" for assistance.

I haven't seen anything that constitutes as a frivolous request, like asking for concert tickets, but I have seen some folks asking for things that they really should be able to provide for themselves if they took on a little extra work like yard work, dog sitting, etc.
For those like the OP living in an obvious reclusiveness, why are you even engaged on a neighborhood website when clearly you could give a rat's *** as to the welfare of your neighbors?

The unfortunate reality is that much of the lower middle class-middle class is suffering minus any social service safety nets. While some may sink quietly into homelessness and/or destitution through what is often no fault of their own (job loss, health issues) some may choose to fight for their livelihood and the fact that reading about it upsets your perfect little world of prosperity is a somewhat nauseating trait you might take a moment in the mirror with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships