Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2023, 09:49 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Replying to OP:
Yes. Those are opportunists. Manipulative people. Not poor or starving, but preying on others, sending them on a guilt trip. There is always someone who will buy those sob stories - l see it all the times.
The Nextdoor admins relaxed the rules for personal fundraising, and created a breeding spot for scammers and swindlers.
It's even hard to find a reputable business there. Just bunch of wannabes with rented tools and no skills.
And they want to charge the same prices as the reputable businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2023, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Haven't seen any this behaviour in our neighborhood NextDoor.

Mostly lost pets, items for sale, looking for recommendations for trades people.

People will also occasionally post videos from outdoor cameras showing thieves and vandals.

Earlier in May, there were posts from high school and college students looking for summer odd jobs, like walking pets, babysitting, taking trash to the dump.

Lots of pictures of our spectacular sunsets over the Gulf of Mexico.

Local government posts public health and safety notices.
Those are the mainstays, along with posts about the power just went out, what are all those sirens, did anyone hear a low flying helicopter last night, and there's a strange car driving slowly down the street.

But I have noticed an uptick in the sob stories and I think they are looking to capitalize on all the members looking to virtue signal.

Old 07-31-2023, 10:37 AM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Yes, my NextDoor is lousy with begging. Then there's the anti-begging, saying don't give money to this or that scammer on here or up at the local Walmart because....
I have seen people asking for luxuries, and the same people repeatedly, and seen them called out. And the politics never ends, OMG, some people can politicize ANYTHING and they don't hold back.

I'm not sure why we're surprised than an online NextDoor would be different from an in-person neighborhood.

Old 07-31-2023, 11:00 AM

975 posts, read 533,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Not asking for advice here or opinions on how NextDoor is a toxic cesspool; we all have our reasons for using or not using it. Just want to discuss the prevelance of online panhandling there; people claiming that their cupboards are bare and that their children are starving, their pets are at death's door, their evil landlord is about to lower the boom, etc. I'm sure some of it's sincere, and I'm sure some of it is just racketeering, but if NextDoor is someone's last resort, well, then I guess it's their last resort. But the current trend seems to be requests for luxuries; one woman wanted someone to buy concert tickets for her, another was "fundraising" because her teenage daughter wanted to go to Europe. My favorite is a guy who who was looking for someone to "drop him off a blender." Is anyone else seeing an influx of this sort of thing?
Wow, I have never seen that on NextDoor for my neighborhood. I have seen a lot of "does anyone want my old...", "I saw a guy with two bicycles going down the street" and "coyotes running in the neighborhood", but no panhandling.

Old 07-31-2023, 12:19 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,427,484 times
I was banned on NextDoor,but was most likely far from the most toxic...

Old 07-31-2023, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
I was banned on NextDoor, but was most likely far from the most toxic...
Don't upset the Karen's.

When I first joined ND several years ago I thought it was amazing how you could discuss local matters with people in the area, many in the same subdivision. It quickly got old and repetitive, though. Probably 90% of the posts fall under ten basic issues like lost pets, suspicious people, etc. Now I drop by every couple months or when I need something or want the gossip on something. Like if the power goes out, I check the power outage maps but also visit ND to see if any of the busy bodies have tracked down the specific cause and determined the extent and timetable. When I have had AC, plumbing, or other household repair issues I've gone there for recommendations for local service companies/individuals. I've found good people that way and will trust the word of someone in the neighborhood over a nameless google review.

Old 07-31-2023, 01:11 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Maybe it's the area included in your NextDoor community.

We have very limited NextDoor neighborhoods so it is easy to get posts just from my immediate area. I do not follow most of the suggested neighborhoods immediately outside my little enclave.

No one in my neighborhood is looking for free food.

I will sometimes see someone indicate that their beloved pet has died and they have leftover pet food available if someone wants it.

Old 07-31-2023, 01:44 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,427,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Don't upset the Karen's.

When I first joined ND several years ago I thought it was amazing how you could discuss local matters with people in the area, many in the same subdivision. Probably 90% of the posts fall under ten basic issues like lost pets, suspicious people, etc. Now I drop by every couple months or when I need something or want the gossip on something. Like if the power goes out, I check the power outage maps but also visit ND to see if any of the busy bodies have tracked down the specific cause and determined the extent and timetable. When I have had AC, plumbing, or other household repair issues I've gone there for recommendations for local service companies/individuals. I've found good people that way and will trust the word of someone in the neighborhood over a nameless google review.
Yes I wanted to stay for that reason,but they decided that banning me for a few hard truths was more important than me having access in general to local happenings.
I now use local facebook groups to find suggestions on businesses,but it's usually people just throwing in their favorite businesses...whether they're good or not is not certain. For that I usually go on Yelp.

Old 07-31-2023, 02:22 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,407,323 times
Yes. I just tore apart some young girl who posted some pictures of her dog and it's situation. I can't type what I put on there but let's say that I'm looking into finding her and calling Animal Control and the police on her

Old 07-31-2023, 05:06 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,650,286 times
I get more requests via email or facebook for money for various sports or cookies from the daughter's of friends and relatives than I see from neighbors on Nextdoor. It's your kid, you send her to soccer camp.

Like others here have said, it's mostly lost pets and suspicious activity on our Nextdoor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships