Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2023, 05:37 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,800,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
i deleted next door because i kept getting message from nighborhoods, five miles up the road, that not next door, that on the other side of town

I was with next door for about a year the political fighting was incredible . The begging wasn't so bad (the buy nothing groups are beggarsville pretty much on Facebook) but politically man they were spouting everything and it's like okay fine you guys can just stay in your corner but yeah with 46 next door communities even trying to trim them off you still got a bunch of people just snarling back and forth and the moderators weren't doing a very good job so I finally just left them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2023, 08:09 AM

860 posts, read 1,340,992 times
We have so much begging. One lady was asking for $80k for a surgery and claimed she couldn’t have surgery on Friday without the money. The whole time she had a loan to cover it…. Not to mention that the possibility still existed that insurance would kick in for $60k of that. She wasn’t very successful but if she had been, and if insurance had kicked in, she would have walked away with a cool $60k from Neighbors. I asked her what she would do in that event and she claimed she would donate it to a charity. After how she lied about having a loan available to her to pay for the surgery, it’s hard to believe she wouldn’t pocket the money for herself. That thread was deleted after that but since these people post multiple times, there are other threads still open.

Then there is the gofundme to startup a non-profit for autism care. No charity/non-profit filings, etc.

Then the gofundme from a Haitian who has been here for 39 years and is a citizen. She wants $210k to buy solar generators for Haitians. Weird.

Then we have the felons asking for help too. I’d say 3-4/10 posts are gofundme’s.

Old 09-01-2023, 09:20 AM

6,422 posts, read 7,681,256 times
In my area the hospitals have foundations to help with medical costs and I'm sure others do also. We have several claiming medical bills but don't mention all the foundations which offset those costs so it is hard to know what their actual out of pocket costs/profits are. Fortunately, people like that can be blocked but should be banned. ND will tell you they can be reported to them or to GFM but nothing comes of it.

ND also increased the mods and no longer vet them. The rules change so often it is hard to know what they are but, as Distgusted Man said, only one side of politics are allowed to have a voice. Individual mods have little power to moderate the discussions and the language requirements are what they call commonly used terms which lowers the bar.

We have a small neighborhood FB page to exchange information on so ND isn't as relevant as it once was.

Old 09-01-2023, 09:57 AM

746 posts, read 417,867 times
hard earned money is not desired by these people who are always chasing easy money.

Old 09-05-2023, 03:32 PM

3,381 posts, read 1,982,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Apologies to OP, but this is too funny not to add in here. Anyone who knows NextDoor will find something funny about it:

https://youtu.be/_JSg0j88ORA
I laughed so hard watching this that I woke my husband up from his nap! Thanks so much for posting

Old 09-05-2023, 03:38 PM

6,311 posts, read 4,212,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Yes to your first paragraph: it's the same people constantly "asking" for every single thing from free food to the moon and stars. School clothes for the kids, transportation, furniture - and some kind soul will offer up something and have it rejected for not being just what they want. And no matter how obvious that is, they'll be back asking again.
Yep two women moved into the small village I used to live in and immediately started begging locals for stuff. One woman had two teens working part time yet still begged for help with bills, food, etc

Old 09-14-2023, 06:07 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,681,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Yep two women moved into the small village I used to live in and immediately started begging locals for stuff. One woman had two teens working part time yet still begged for help with bills, food, etc
It is more fun to spend someone else's money.

Old 09-14-2023, 06:17 PM

22,000 posts, read 13,038,107 times
I'm not sure when it ceased to be shameful to beg for others' stuff, but we should return to that time.

Old 09-15-2023, 03:57 PM

16,541 posts, read 8,306,729 times
I see a lot on gofundme like this...also people asking for things on town facebook pages or towns creating yardsales where things are often free.

I mean it seems obnoxious to ask for someone to buy you concert tickets...but we live in strange times with the internet. I use to see weird things on craigslist too. There's nothing wrong with asking I guess...but I certainly wouldn't be buying someone I dont know concert tickets.

Old 09-15-2023, 06:12 PM

7,673 posts, read 3,305,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I see a lot on gofundme like this...also people asking for things on town facebook pages or towns creating yardsales where things are often free.

I mean it seems obnoxious to ask for someone to buy you concert tickets...but we live in strange times with the internet. I use to see weird things on craigslist too. There's nothing wrong with asking I guess...but I certainly wouldn't be buying someone I dont know concert tickets.

I bought a young woman with three kids a year's pass to Oregon Museum of Science and Industry. They have year round programs there that are obviously educational. I forget the story, but, her husband had been out of work and starting a new job, etc. I do not remember what she was asking for (probably kid's clothing), but, that's what I decided to give them (a way out of the house with the kids to be around other kids, etc.). This was prior to the pandemic. Anyways, she did not ask, but, it was Christmas time and it was one of my little charitable acts. They were jazzed about it (I paid something like $250 if I recall).

I really do not know why people care if one person decides to give another human being some of their time, money or other resources. What's it to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships