Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2023, 04:15 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,720,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Agreed. Someone you don't know, who also doesn't have any of the same contacts that you do, invites you to his house? And then you GO?!?! And you don't know anyone, but apparently you talked with his "good friend" (how would you even know that??) who didn't know why you were there but didn't buy the "random" excuse. Then the host says to chill out and you will meet again.

What kind of social get-together was this? Do you at least share a common interest like hiking, gaming, tacos?? How did he find you "on social media"?
This particular social media platform has events that only certain people get selected to be on based on activities they have eloquently written about online. He and I are both part of that group. There is slight verification for that process. People can look at each others profiles and see what we've written. If we've attended the same event, then they would probably write about it and can possibly see that me and/or most likely others have written about respective event.

I knew that the person I spoke with was a good friend of his because it came up in conversation. On top of that, there were unexpected bios of everyone sent out for the party beforehand, with mine having the least amount of detail. It was a risk, but the context was a small risk basically on all ends.

The host knew everyone else but myself or myself and maybe a small number of other people at the most.

Old 01-30-2023, 04:26 PM

9,578 posts, read 5,372,833 times
Was this a 'boy' party?

Old 01-30-2023, 05:36 PM

6,326 posts, read 4,245,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
This particular social media platform has events that only certain people get selected to be on based on activities they have eloquently written about online. He and I are both part of that group. There is slight verification for that process. People can look at each others profiles and see what we've written. If we've attended the same event, then they would probably write about it and can possibly see that me and/or most likely others have written about respective event.

I knew that the person I spoke with was a good friend of his because it came up in conversation. On top of that, there were unexpected bios of everyone sent out for the party beforehand, with mine having the least amount of detail. It was a risk, but the context was a small risk basically on all ends.

The host knew everyone else but myself or myself and maybe a small number of other people at the most.
Don’t care, you said it was weird and that was a red flag, which following up on proved the weird feeling was justified. This has nothing to do with paranoia. Not an invitation I would risk, nor would I appreciate being invited to fill a quota.

Old 01-31-2023, 12:13 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,974,761 times
It sounds off the wall to me. If the guy wanted to get to know you better, why not just ask you to meet in a public place over a cup of coffee? I have met several people from City Data like that when I happened to be in their part of the world. No big deal - I just sent them a DM letting them know that I enjoyed their posts and would be in their vicinity on such and such a date and would they like to do a casual meet up at Starbucks or where-ever. No pressure involved I understood perfectly if they had other plans. So far, everyone I asked has said "yes" and it was fun to finally meet the person whose posts I'd been reading - sometimes for years.

I guess if the rather complicated social meet up process you describe is the norm for your group, then it was maybe normal to meet the way you two did. Personally, it sounds like quite a bit of work to me, but to each his own. However, if your intuition is telling you that something is up with the guy who gave you the invite, I'd pay attention to your sense of unease and proceed with the utmost of caution. You just can't be too careful these days.

Old 01-31-2023, 07:54 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,836,421 times
It all makes sense if it was a sex party.

Old 01-31-2023, 08:26 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,974,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
It all makes sense if it was a sex party.
Yeah, I thought the same thing.

Old 01-31-2023, 10:44 AM

102,353 posts, read 108,635,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Agreed. Someone you don't know, who also doesn't have any of the same contacts that you do, invites you to his house? And then you GO?!?! And you don't know anyone, but apparently you talked with his "good friend" (how would you even know that??) who didn't know why you were there but didn't buy the "random" excuse. Then the host says to chill out and you will meet again.

What kind of social get-together was this? Do you at least share a common interest like hiking, gaming, tacos?? How did he find you "on social media"?
Honestly, I've been wondering if this is a new social networking trend in the gay community, new enough that the OP hasn't heard of it. And the OP has now given us additional info about the website he was on, and recruited from: it's something like an authors' or bloggers' social networking venue, so he and the host and others at the party had that in common. So it wasn't coming from quite as far out in left field as the original post made it sound.

Maybe this isn't all that unusual for specialized social networking sites that organize around a specific interest, or that requires a certain qualification for membership.

Old 01-31-2023, 11:33 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,836,421 times
Maybe the OP has a special characteristic that was underrepresented among the attendees and he was needed to make up the numbers.

To quote Richard in Silicon Valley, "You know, you could be a a twink, a bear, an otter, a circuit queen, a chub, a pup, a gipster, a daddy chaser, a leatherman, a lady boy. You could be a Donald Duck, which is a gay guy who got kicked out of the Navy."

Old 01-31-2023, 01:37 PM

8,313 posts, read 8,734,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Was this a 'boy' party?
That's what I thought when he said collared shirts and pants. No women?

Old 01-31-2023, 02:01 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,043,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
What a bizarre situation.

So this person is inviting random strangers to his house? And no one knows why?
Yeah this is really weird - very, very weird in fact. I too would say bizarre. Pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships