Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2023, 01:30 PM

3,060 posts, read 2,035,841 times

Advertisements

I only had one roommate after college, not a positive experience. I rented an apartment and advertised for a female (like me) roommate, didn't know anyone in the town I got a job in. I was young and dumb.

Last straw was her last sleepover guy who tried to get into my room "by accident" but my door was locked. Dodged a "me too" event IMO. I told her no more men overnight and moved out a couple weeks later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2023, 02:28 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
This is exactly what my first and only roommate and I did. We both worked and went to school on similar schedules, so we were typically home at the same time. Sure, we'd run into each other in the common areas of the apartment, but with his room at the back of the apartment and mine at the front, there was still plenty of privacy to be had.
This. I've only shared living space with roommates a couple of times. Because both of us worked for the same employer on the same schedule we tended to be home at the same time. How the rental is laid out makes a huge difference. Luckily, the rented SFH houses my roommates and I shared were built so the bedrooms were separated by the common areas and there was more than one full bathroom. Even if one had been a half bath, we would have found a way to make it work. We both spent most of our time in our bedrooms so there was a lot of separation that felt more private. OK, just knowing there was someone else present that might inhibit someone from dancing around the kitchen in their birthday suit, but it really helped a lot. If we wanted to be social there were common areas. Of course, we were adults and made a point of being considerate about noise, keeping the common areas cleaned up, etc.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-08-2023 at 02:50 PM..

Old 01-08-2023, 02:28 PM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
for me it would be someone who is home too much ha

Old 01-08-2023, 02:36 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
for me it would be someone who is home too much ha
Me too

Old 01-08-2023, 06:41 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
I've never had a roommate that didn't sleep in my bed ()

But to me smoking or pets would be an instant NO!

Old 01-08-2023, 06:51 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
Of course there are obvious rules such as: Don't break anything. Don't be loud at 1AM. Don't invite sketchy people/hard drug users over. Don't steal the other person's food.

But Covid has made me aware of a major dealbreaker. People who stay at home all day. I'm talking about the people who work from home and then spend most of their free time home too, and maybe only take an hour out of the day to go out for groceries and whatnot. Except covid is over and many people are still continuing their lockdown lifestyle.

It's infuriating to never have alone time. I feel like I may as well be living with my parents.
I'd agree that this would be a major deal breaker for me, though perhaps not the biggest. It would be less of an issue if the apartment/house was spacious, though, so it depends on that too.

Old 01-08-2023, 08:06 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Smokers and pot use for me. Can't stand the smell of either.

Another is drinking and eating my food/drink without asking. One of my first roommate reactions I got in trouble with a roommate because I dared say he drank my milk. The only reason I knew was because I never got to open it. Had I drank it, I doubt I would think to myself "I only remember having one glass, why does it look like I had two?"

Another deal breaker that I discovered from college, black-out drunk messing around. Had a roommate in both my junior and senior years (not the same) who were idiots when drunk. My senior year roommate in question was worse. Unlike smoking, it is an easier one to hide and lie about until the flour is thrown around the kitchen and your bodywash and toothpaste line the tub.

Old 01-08-2023, 08:07 PM

990 posts, read 543,252 times
I think as long as they pay their rent and are respectful that's all you can ask. If they're only drawback is that they are home all the time then I think you should count yourself lucky.

Old 01-08-2023, 08:08 PM

846 posts, read 682,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rent.in.ny View Post
If he pays his rent on time, is clean and quiet
This is assuming they are quiet. There's a chance they are, a chance they're not. But if they never leave the house, AND they happen to not be quiet.... then rough.

Quote:
he can stay 24 hrs at home and you can do nothing against it.
I never said they didn't have the right to do that. But I have the choice to choose who I want to live with.

Quote:
I have never read in an ad... "MUST leave the house for at least 4 hours per day, so that I can be alone."
Because most people did leave the house for 4+ hours a day... before covid.

Old 01-08-2023, 08:10 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS414 View Post
I think as long as they pay their rent and are respectful that's all you can ask. If they're only drawback is that they are home all the time then I think you should count yourself lucky.
See I find those that don't like anyone that works at home as a bad roommate as someone that likes to have rule of the roost from time to time. I get that, but often unless the apartment is small I would imagine the bedroom is the office to keep it quiet. I mean if I was work from home (I am not and could not be with my job) I would be in my room and not the main living area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships