Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 06:59 AM

4,193 posts, read 3,415,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Haha. We've all been making things for the wrong people! There ought to be a broker system to put makers and receivers together.........
Maybe someone oughta yank the handmade blanket outta 'grandma's' hands and give it to coschristi....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 07:00 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,948,976 times
I was a nurse practitioner when I was pregnant with my children and received several hand made gifts from patients who had seen me throughout my pregnancy. Though some of the gifts weren't necessarily something I would have chosen (scratchy yarn, dark colors...._, I cherished each one of them and have saved them for years. I could still tell you the name of the patient who made each one.

I didn't have to love the gift in order to appreciate (and thank!) the giver.

Old 09-02-2019, 07:04 AM

7,602 posts, read 4,180,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post

I really don't understand how people can be so discourteous.
Actions like that are one of the reasons why I had anxiety when dealing with people. Sounds like Mattie handled it better than I ever did.

Learning the lesson that a gift is a gift and you should not expect anything in return, not even a thank you, is a very difficult lesson to learn. Having a gift returned to you sucks. I had it happen to me as well.

ETA: I had a teacher once tell me that she did not want gift cards. She wanted something homemade. So we taped silk flowers to the top of pens and then put the bouquet in a painted watering can. That was 3 years ago and she still has it in her classroom and said it was the best gift she ever received from a student. I have not done that since. I just give gift cards because it is easier.

Last edited by elyn02; 09-02-2019 at 07:19 AM..

Old 09-02-2019, 08:24 AM

37 posts, read 36,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianstad View Post
Thanks for good comments.

Sigh...I wouldn't be so hurt if I hadn't spent so much time on the darn thing. Never again.
I think people who don't make things may often think they are cheap, home made, etc.
I bet if it came from Saks or Neiman's it would have garnered more attention.
Yes, the grandmother did thank me but didn't seem like she thought it was all "that" either.
She has never made anything herself so I just think people like her have no idea how much work is involved.
I'm sorry you had to experience this. And I completely agree that most people don't know what hand-made looks like or how much work goes into it.

I consider myself a fairly good knitter/crocheter but it takes me a while to complete projects, mainly because I've got too many other things going on, lol. I also think I have good taste in yarn and patterns. For example, I have a knitted beret pattern from which I've made three for myself (two solid, one variegated). Based on the number of compliments I've gotten on them, I've felt safe in gifting hats made from that pattern using solid colors and good (not necessarily expensive) yarn. So far, so good...and I've gotten effusive thank-yous for each one.

So that's the other side of this: Not everybody appreciates the kind of work and artistry that goes into the kind of baby blanket you described. For those people, just give them a simple solid that you can knock out quickly (and if it's a baby blanket, make sure the yarn is washable). Save the really artistic, heirloom projects for yourself and the ones who appreciate them. Their thanks will mean a LOT more.

Old 09-02-2019, 08:28 AM

32,685 posts, read 48,227,692 times
My mother always insisted that the only people who gave handmade gifts were people who were too poor to buy a gift.

I mean seriously. But some people have that sort of attitude about homemade stuff. No appreciation for the hours of work to make or to bake and the expense that goes into it.

You've now had your heads-up, OP. No more gifts for that family. There really is no reason to give gifts to unappreciative people.

Old 09-02-2019, 08:31 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,358,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
this is so true .
My grandchildren never say thank you for anything I send them and neither does their mother so I simply stopped sending . I mean why bother ? Yes , Rude is the new norm .
There is mostly the parents fault. My granddaughter (10 years old) has been taught to always send a thank you, whether it's in a text or a phone call and when she is a little older I will teach her about thank you notes. When I got married everybody got a thank you note with a small wedding picture. Times have changed but that doesn't mean rudeness should be the norm.

Old 09-02-2019, 10:58 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianstad View Post
Thanks for good comments.

Sigh...I wouldn't be so hurt if I hadn't spent so much time on the darn thing. Never again.
I think people who don't make things may often think they are cheap, home made, etc.
I bet if it came from Saks or Neiman's it would have garnered more attention.
Yes, the grandmother did thank me but didn't seem like she thought it was all "that" either.
She has never made anything herself so I just think people like her have no idea how much work is involved.
I’ve run into that. Some people really appreciate handmade goods, and some think you are cheaping out, because they have no idea of what materials cost.

Sort if on the same line, my engagement ring was a family heirloom, four generations old. A few friends thought it was sad I had to have a used ring

I’m blessed my family loves my handmade goodies.

Old 09-02-2019, 01:46 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,213,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Each of my children were gifted with a crochet baby blanket at birth. I saved them all, and when our first grandchild was born, sent one up to the new parents. It was returned by my DIL. It was "used". I donated it to the local thrift store.
I would have been livid! And, wondered about my son's choice for a wife.

Old 09-02-2019, 02:23 PM

15,156 posts, read 27,854,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I was a nurse practitioner when I was pregnant with my children and received several hand made gifts from patients who had seen me throughout my pregnancy. Though some of the gifts weren't necessarily something I would have chosen (scratchy yarn, dark colors...._, I cherished each one of them and have saved them for years. I could still tell you the name of the patient who made each one.

I didn't have to love the gift in order to appreciate (and thank!) the giver.
Exactly - people have made things that I really did/do not like but I ALWAYS thank the gift giver.

Old 09-02-2019, 04:02 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,362,235 times
Blame the parents for not stressing manners to their kids.

My mother never made us send thank you notes when we were growing up.

Most of my friends and/or family text a thank you.
One day you'll probably be thanked once they get a chance to sleep through the night. Wonder if they could use your help babysitting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships