Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 11:11 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,667,756 times

Advertisements

There is no excuse for someone not thanking someone else for a gift, hand-crafted, or not.

But I think hand-crafted gifts are inappropriate, because of the "taste" factor - not everyone is going to love the colors you picked, for instance. Save those projects for yourself and your household.

(The exception would be knitting beanies or blankets for homeless people).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2019, 11:19 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,045,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
But isn't a gift - a gift.

Just give it and go on your way
Yep, and I've preached that exact thing in at least 4 threads in this subforum.

Here's one

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I guess I will type what I always type in these threads: Remember the point of a GIFT.

A gift is supposed to be willingly given without expectation of payment. If you're giving her a gift to congratulate her on the basis of YOUR feelings toward her and your pride in her accomplishment, you should continue to do so and be glad you did that.

If, however, you believe that GIFTS are given with strings attached, then go ahead and cease all gift-giving to her going forward. The fact that she didn't write you a note doesn't automatically mean she didn't appreciate it. It mostly speaks to her upbringing, her concept of etiquette, and her attention to detail.

I'm not saying her omission is in any way correct. I'm just saying you shouldn't necessarily flounce off in a huff because of this.

A gift should not have strings attached, even as a thank you. Give it and be done. Our own expectations often ruin our experiences.

Even so, our societal conventions demand otherwise. Some would say common courtesy isn't so common anymore.

Old 08-31-2019, 11:33 AM

7,600 posts, read 4,176,287 times
Societal conventions are dependent on location I think. When my daughter attends parties in communities that are more tight-knit and upper middle class, they always send thank you notes in the mail. The children from other communities never send thank you notes. They say thank you at the party and there is no follow up unless they really liked the gift.

Generally, people don't like the gifts I give them so I stopped doing that and instead give gift cards.

Old 08-31-2019, 12:16 PM

32,679 posts, read 48,185,877 times
I stopped giving gifts to my nephews. I figure if they don't acknowledge the gift, they didn't like it and there is no reason for me to spend money buying things they don't like. I assume that they never noticed when the gifts stopped because no one ever said anything about it.

In fact, they never acknowledged me in any way, not even in person, so I eventually just took them out of my will. I can't see any reason to leave money to people who refuse to have any sort of relationship with me at all.

Well, one of them did send me a wedding announcement with a note that they didn't want me to come to the wedding but enclosed a list of the gifts that they wanted to receive. That really was the last straw.

Old 08-31-2019, 12:28 PM

19,861 posts, read 9,418,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I stopped giving gifts to my nephews. I figure if they don't acknowledge the gift, they didn't like it and there is no reason for me to spend money buying things they don't like. I assume that they never noticed when the gifts stopped because no one ever said anything about it.

In fact, they never acknowledged me in any way, not even in person, so I eventually just took them out of my will. I can't see any reason to leave money to people who refuse to have any sort of relationship with me at all.

Well, one of them did send me a wedding announcement with a note that they didn't want me to come to the wedding but enclosed a list of the gifts that they wanted to receive. That really was the last straw
I would say that the bolded would be unbelievable -- except, unfortunately, I do believe it, based on the number of anecdotes I have read about this kind of thing.

Old 08-31-2019, 12:34 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,199,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Well, one of them did send me a wedding announcement with a note that they didn't want me to come to the wedding but enclosed a list of the gifts that they wanted to receive.
That really was the last straw.
That is horrible. Simply, horrible.

Old 08-31-2019, 12:39 PM

24,663 posts, read 11,001,272 times
Who knows when and how the grandmother delivered the blanket and if the child had not outgrown it by then? Was it gift wrapped with a card/note or handed over in a grocery bag?

Old 08-31-2019, 12:43 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,297,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I would say that the bolded would be unbelievable -- except, unfortunately, I do believe it, based on the number of anecdotes I have read about this kind of thing.
Maybe they meant that they didn't expect her to attend. Didn't want her to feel that she was obligated.

Sometimes people go to these events because they think they have to go and then complain the whole time...

Old 08-31-2019, 12:48 PM

22,501 posts, read 12,045,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
A couple of possibilities:

1. New baby avalanche...parents overwhelmed and maybe not managing everything all that well. Things like courtesy got lost in the shuffle. Maybe they received multiple blankets as gifts and lost track of the givers. That happened to co-worker friends once. When their first baby arrived they received something like 8 home made baby blankets and they didn't realize until too late they had lost track of who made what.

2. Possibly a disconnect between new parents and grandparents: parents thought their thanks were transmitted to you via the grandparents. Grandparents thought the new parents thanked you directly. Both sides thought the other had responded but in reality no one ended up doing so.

3. Then there's what other people suggested...no manners.
Per the bolded --- When that happens, just write a note saying "thank you for your gift". It's better than not acknowledging the sender's gift.

When my brother and SIL got married, we gave them a check. My SIL, who did the thank you notes, wrote "thank you for your gift". I had no problems with that at all.

In fact, when we got married, we got a gift and I didn't know what to call it! I, too, did the "thank you for your gift" note and also said I appreciated their thoughtfulness.

And, yes, sadly, writing thank you notes does seem to be going the way of the dinosaur.

Old 08-31-2019, 12:50 PM

22,501 posts, read 12,045,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
this is so true .
My grandchildren never say thank you for anything I send them and neither does their mother so I simply stopped sending . I mean why bother ? Yes , Rude is the new norm .
Lately, I'm always having to remind my grandkids to say "please" and "thank you".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships