Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 08:04 PM

8,742 posts, read 13,078,832 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is the right place. Mods - please move it if it’s not.

I just moved into a new neighborhood. It’s all SFR and for the most part, peaceful, except for a house around the corner. This kid (teenager) has some kind of off-road 4 wheeler and it’s loud. According to my wife, he fired up this 4 wheeler everyday after school in the afternoon. Today being Sunday, I can hear that noise all afternoon. I went outside and he was racing up & down the street, the. Went back his driveway, rev up the engine really pound and was making some sort of adjustment.

I came this close to go over to confront the kid. Al least to ask politely if he can be more considerate of neighbors. But judging from his actions, he’s obviously don’t care. He’s probably know he’s in the wrong. Last weekend he was driving up & down his street and was going to make a turn onto my street buy saw me standing there staring at him so he turned back and continued racing up & down his streee.

Since I am new to the neighborhood, I wonder why nobody has complained? So i’d figured wait & go talk to the neighbors to find out the background.

So my question is, would it be appropriate if I go confront the kid or his parents? The 4 wheeler doesn’t appeared to be street-legal maybe that’s why he doesn’t drive in on a major street just a block away, then he may encounter police cars driving by?

Is there a less confrontational way? For example, I could remain anonymous and call the local PD to ask an officer to stop by? This happens EVERY WEEKEND I am home, and everyday according to my wife. It’s getting on my nerves. I work long hours all week & just want some peace & quiet on weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 10:44 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,413,291 times
Just call the police and report it. They aren't street legal, and if they see him driving it, they will talk to him and probably his parents.

In my area, it would be legal for him to drive it around the yard, though. SO just because he's told to stop driving in on the road doesn't mean you will stop hearing the noise for good.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:02 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,243,224 times
Maybe you could approach his parents ? and then if they act like he is in charge (Like most parents these days do ) then when you see him out doing this then call the police since the parents don't seem like they are too interested in making him tone it down . I know I would be furious with my kid if he did this and it was bothering the neighbors . I suffer from migraine headaches and I had to ask a neighbor to turn down his stereo and he was very apologetic and did not realize his music was that loud . I can only imagine how frustrating that is for you and your wife .

Old 02-26-2018, 06:09 AM

5,485 posts, read 4,155,299 times
and remember, in a few years he will have his driver's license and/or discover girls, and your worries will probably be over.

Just kidding, let the PD know he is driving on the street.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:11 AM

25,204 posts, read 11,611,470 times
I would approach (not confront) the parents. Take plenty of time stamped photos and contact local PD if it continues. What do your other neighbors say about this nuisance? Are your roads public or private?

Old 02-26-2018, 06:13 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,531,783 times
I love that the kid is outside and doing outdoor things but he also needs to be respectful of others.

In a perfect world you could go to the parents and have a talk with them and they would talk to their child. Sadly today if you do this you might become the "cranky new neighbor".

Personally I would rather stay anonymous and call the police as ATV's are not street legal. They should come out and talk with the parents.

Noises of all kinds drive me crazy. On the other hand I do love when kids are outside instead of inside.

Good luck.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:36 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,380,746 times
Call the police. Off road vehicles like you've described are not legal on a city street. A few tickets may put a stop to this. And, keep your anonymity, why put a target on your own back.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:20 AM

1,913 posts, read 2,265,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Call the police. Off road vehicles like you've described are not legal on a city street. A few tickets may put a stop to this. And, keep your anonymity, why put a target on your own back.
^^^^This^^^^^

Definitely let the police deal with him. However, since you have already spoken to him about the issue, you might want to wait a while before contacting the police. He will probably still think it was you who made the complaint, but if enough time has passed that the memory of the confrontation has faded somewhat, he won't be sure. Since he has already demonstrated a certain lack of interest in the wellbeing of others, you have to consider that he might decide to retaliate in some way if he thinks the intervention of the police is because of you. Wait a little while to make the connection less obvious.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:03 AM

15,262 posts, read 13,132,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Take plenty of time stamped photos and contact local PD if it continues.
Video.

Photos are fine but don't convey how loud those blasted ATVs can be. And you can do video without him seeing you, if you're careful.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:17 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,499,731 times
Join your neighborhood www.nextdoor.com and pose this question there; your neighbors will let you know what’s been done so far and offer good local suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships