Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 10:05 PM

369 posts, read 557,877 times

Advertisements

Hi people.

I've been living in my current apartment for 10 years and I love it here. I love the area, my place, everything. I had an upstairs neighbor the entire time I've been here who was awesome, quiet, and respectful but sadly, he recently moved out. In his place (it's a 1-bedroom apt), has moved in this noisy, obnoxious, LOUD family of 3 - I didn't know that was allowed in a 1-bedroom - and I haven't been able to sleep or have peace of mind for THREE months. I'm losing my mind!

First of all, they have a 6-years old kid who is always, always, ALWAYS crying or screaming or WAILING. I have worked with kids before and this behavior is not normal (and I've seen the kid out/about and he seems otherwise normal). In fact, I'm getting worried it's something they're doing...but, that's another discussion. Needless to say, this kid screams and cries, and jumps up/down, and then when the mom gets annoyed with him (she's a real wench!), she starts screaming back at this kid...so then they have a screaming match!

Both their and my apartment faces an internal courtyard, so sound echoes, especially if you leave the balcony doors open - which they insist on doing, while all this noise goes on. You can just imagine the noise that goes on.

On top of that, they walk like they are keeping herds of elephants up there...thump, thump, thump! ALL hours of day/night! The husband works, the wife is an at-home mom, and the kid...I'm not sure why he isn't in school, but he should be. And no one seems to sleep up there! They're always walking around all hours of day/night, all the time! There's never ONE hour of peace where these people aren't around. There's always someone up there stomping, thumping, screaming, banging, yelling, jumping, etc....

Anyway, when they first moved in 3 months ago, they made so much noise moving in for DAYS, that I finally had to call management and be like, "This noise has been going on for 14 hours from these people; they need to cut it out!" She told me to go talk to them, which I think is a rotten idea, because if things don't go well, then you have a hostile neighboring environment...but management sucks.

But I did anyway. I went upstairs, introduced myself nicely and told them I'm their downstairs neighbor and could they please try to keep the noise down. The woman was totally rude and entitled in her attitude and blamed the movers - at this point it was 3 days post-move, and 8 p.m. I asked if the movers were there at that very moment and she was like, "Um...well, no, not now, before". Yet all this thumping and jumping and banging for HOURS? Really?? Anyway, I asked if they could try to keep it down, and she said, "Okay" and SLAMMED the door.

And the noise continued the next day into the next...

I called management again and told them what happened, and they - being lazy - said there is not much they can do. Now they know I have been living here for 10 years, am an awesome tenant, never ONCE had a trouble with neighbors and all our other neighbors are quiet...so WTF??!!

So I've been trying to get used to the sounds, have bought a white noise machine, and am wearing earplugs at night to sleep (and I can still hear them stomping around)...and now my ears are hurting, and I'm always tired, and not getting enough rest/peace and quiet, and it's affecting my life, health, work...and I don't know what to do??

I've even looked around to MOVE, even though it's completely a horrible time for me to up and move, esp. after all these years and the cost of things right now, but I'm desperate for some QUIET time!

I can say with certainty...I HATE these neighbors!! But I need help to figure out how to handle them/management and still be able to live in my home in peace/quiet. And what is UP with this kid crying ALL the friggin' time?!!

Is there anyone with experience/expertise who can help??

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 10:23 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,000,767 times
Get some of your neighbors help and sponsor an apartment wide barbecue or some other social event (do you have a courtyard that this could be held in?) Invite everyone - if the noisy neighbors come - sit and talk with them - and at some point over hamburgers or salmon vent your complaints in detail. Explain that you want to be on friendly terms but make it clear to them that they are being a nuisance. This may work or it may not. Management isn't going to help. You need to find a way to get through to the people - and doing it in a non-confrontational style is your best bet. Good luck.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:23 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,546,711 times
I had a similar experience to yours, and I solved it by moving. Unfortunately, some people can't be reasoned with; they have this sense of entitlement and by God, nothing is going to make them budge from that. In my situation, the noisy next door neighbors were the manager and his family! There was no one I could complain to; the owner couldn't have cared less. I still find it hilarious, though, that my old apartment was apparently vacant for nine months after I moved because they refused to lower the rent.

Sometimes the fight just isn't worth it, especially if you're not getting anywhere.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:27 PM

@Harrier - Thanks, but that's not possible, and these neighbors are just obnoxious and...ya know.

@SandyCo - You know, I'm looking every day for a place. But, my neighborhood is great and since I've been here 10 yrs - even with rent hikes - can't beat my current rent in this neighborhood. PLUS, I have no way of knowing if I move somewhere else, what kind of neighbors/management I'd get there...so I don't want to jump out of the frying pan into the fire - I write this, as these ($*#$&(*#$ are stomping and screaming some more above me...omg. But I AM looking, but this time of year isn't huge on people moving, so vacancy options are not ripe. AND, moving is so expensive..

Old 01-03-2012, 10:31 PM

519 posts, read 1,049,452 times
Tell the management you're moving if the issue isn't resolved properly.

If they are lazy then they won't want the added work of looking for someone to take your place, it will be easier for them to at least attempt to sort it out.

You could also call the police if the noise is outside the restricted times - if they won't come, your local govt could be contacted.

If I were you, I'd just leave - sounds like you're a great tenant and given the current property market you should be able to find something even nicer.

I wish you all the best xx

Old 01-03-2012, 10:42 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,546,711 times
HoliWood, I know how you feel. My previous apartment was under rent control, so I had little choice but to put up with the noise and stress for over three years before I was finally able to move. Three years is an eternity when you're so miserable! I pay $300+ per month more now than I did before, but it's worth every extra penny. How can I put a price on my peace of mind?

My upstairs neighbors vacuums every day. That's it! Every so often he'll play his music loud during the day, too, but compared to what I was dealing with before, this is nothing.

By the way, it took me over four months to find another apartment. I knew what I was looking for, and it's truly amazing how many awful apartments are out there! I turned one place down because we'd only have one parking space, and the street parking was a nightmare. I was patient, though, and I finally found a great place. It's only a mile away from where I used to live, but it's a world of difference! The manager was more than willing to work with me once I told her my employment history, etc. If you're a good tenant with good credit, you might be pleasantly surprised!

Old 01-03-2012, 11:05 PM

@Tumblebug - Thank you, I have just written management a letter so I have a record of my communication with them about this issue.

@SandyCo - Yes, I've been looking EVERY day for 3 months, and there are so many bad places out there. I would like to live in the same neighborhood but prices have gone up through the ROOF in the area over the past decade (since I've lived here!), so the prices are outrageous. I also wouldn't be surprised if management isn't doing anything because they'd like me to move so they can charge more for my current apartment. However, not sure where they'll find another tenant who is quiet, long-term, is never late with rent, and is so respectful and takes good care of their property. It makes me so upset that this is going on and that I feel so powerless, but I'm going to keep trying.

In the meantime, the lack of sleep/peace of mind is making me a little cray-cray.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:21 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,943,502 times
You might consider calling Child Protective Services: DCFS - Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services - Contact Us

A child constantly crying and not in school is a BIG red flag.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:24 PM

1,528 posts, read 4,231,409 times
I feel you man.. There's nothing worse then putting up with annoying & rude neighbors..

Old 01-03-2012, 11:48 PM

@PatrolMan - I've thought about it, but I have dealt with DCFS before (not personally, but otherwise) and I'm just wondering if this kid is just super-duper spoiled? I don't know, but I'm definitely keeping an ear/eye out in case its more than just a bratty kid.

@yowps3 - Seriously...the worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles