Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 10:58 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,686,976 times

Advertisements

I'm not in this situation now, but it's something I likely face at some point in the future. I've been divorced for 10 years, not at all on friendly terms with my ex, our three sons are all grown. If my ex dies before me, I don't know if I should attend or stay away from his funeral. I would want to be there to support my sons, but considering my ex did not want me to attend the memorial services for either of his parents when they passed, I think he would not want me there. Most likely I will try to be supportive of my sons in other ways. But I can just imagine some of his family saying, "Can you believe it? Kayanne didn't even bother to be here for her sons."

Anyway, I just was wondering what others have done (or plan to do).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 11:01 AM

45,454 posts, read 60,666,498 times
Well, he won't care at that point probably. If he remarried, how will new wife accept your attending? Maybe just go to a viewing rather than the funeral?

Old 12-18-2017, 11:04 AM

741 posts, read 591,087 times
When the time comes and your ex passes, ask your sons what they want you to do, then act accordingly. If they’re indifferent, tell them you’ll avoid the funeral because you don’t think it’s appropriate (especially if your ex has a living spouse that will be there), but tell them you will be there for them in any other way they may need during their grief.

Old 12-18-2017, 11:23 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,146,486 times
No reason not to go and pay your respects if you feel it's right. Still the father of your children, whom you had a life with. No wrong whatsoever in going.

Old 12-18-2017, 11:28 AM

16,427 posts, read 12,533,205 times
If your sons were still young, I would say it's necessary for you to be there for them. But they're grown. Offer your condolences and support, but it's not necessary for you to actually be present at the service. And don't worry about what others think. Their opinion means nothing.

Old 12-18-2017, 11:42 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,035,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I would want to be there to support my sons, but considering my ex did not want me to attend the memorial services for either of his parents when they passed, I think he would not want me there.
Funerals are for the living. The dead will never know or care about who showed up to their funeral.

I would say it depends on your relationship with the rest of his family. If its going to cause them stress and unneeded drama, then probably sending a card or flowers would be better. Bit otherwise, I see no reason toat least not go to the visitation to be supportive of your sons.

Old 12-18-2017, 11:45 AM

20,409 posts, read 14,693,571 times
Given that my ex-spouse has stressed me out good, this last couple of days, when I first read the title of your thread, I said (not entirely seriously, and only in my head of course) "I wish."

But a real answer to your question... Funerals are not for the person who died, they're for the living who are left behind, to get closure and to begin to heal, and because mourning with others who share understanding of the relationship you had with the deceased...it's healthy. So I agree with the poster who told you to ask your sons what they want, when that time comes. You care more about what is right for them, than about what your ex's family thinks of you one way or another, yes? If having you there will be good for the sons, then do that, and if not, then stay away.

Old 12-18-2017, 11:53 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,204,631 times
Quote:
But I can just imagine some of his family saying, "Can you believe it? Kayanne didn't even bother to be here for her sons."
It is also possible someone would flip that around: "Can you believe it? Kayanne had the audacity to show her face." People are funny; they – even family – can have different perceptions of your life not always based in fact.

I agree with those who say it would be different if your sons were small. As grown men, they will handle it when the time comes. You'll be there for them, just not at the actual service.

Unless you want to go – it would not be my choice.

But I say this as the first wife and mother of an only (now grown) child of a man who is presently on his fourth marriage. I don't think Wives #2 and #3 would show up either.

Old 12-18-2017, 11:54 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,322,792 times
I agree with the others who advised checking with your sons and following their wishes.
Be sure to tell them you are fine either way.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:08 PM

2,673 posts, read 2,238,434 times
Quote:
I'm not in this situation now, but it's something I likely face at some point in the future. I've been divorced for 10 years, not at all on friendly terms with my ex, our three sons are all grown. If my ex dies before me, I don't know if I should attend or stay away from his funeral. I would want to be there to support my sons, but considering my ex did not want me to attend the memorial services for either of his parents when they passed, I think he would not want me there. Most likely I will try to be supportive of my sons in other ways. But I can just imagine some of his family saying, "Can you believe it? Kayanne didn't even bother to be here for her sons."

Anyway, I just was wondering what others have done (or plan to do).

Imagine what the family will say if you show up! I think you know what to do. Stay away, so you don't become the center of attention. You don't have to be at the funeral to support your sons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships