Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 10:38 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,561,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
I have a physical condition that doesn't show, and sitting is infinitely preferable for my situation, but I would stand up till I fell down in order to give my seat to a pregnant woman. And when everyone shuffles around, it's a whole new game.
I have a health condition that doesn't show on the outside either. When the condition flares up, it can be hard for me to walk 50 feet.

On top of that, I keep my appearance nice, and I'm in good shape. Folks get verbally outraged when I park Handicapped. It's like getting accosted when I go grocery shopping. Same with seats at DMV or Social Security. People get mad because I don't "look" disabled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 10:48 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,763,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
I have a health condition that doesn't show on the outside either. When the condition flares up, it can be hard for me to walk 50 feet.

On top of that, I keep my appearance nice, and I'm in good shape. Folks get verbally outraged when I park Handicapped. It's like getting accosted when I go grocery shopping. Same with seats at DMV or Social Security. People get mad because I don't "look" disabled.
That's horrible. I assume that if someone has a handicapped placard there is a good reason for it. Sorry that happens to you.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:50 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,380,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post

In all seriousness, you'll stop the rude comments if you put on a limp when you get out of the car. No one will bother you then.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:54 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,561,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
In all seriousness, you'll stop the rude comments if you put on a limp when you get out of the car. No one will bother you then.
Sad but true, that what my daughter keeps telling me.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:57 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,652,120 times
I go to music concerts where people put their coats of chairs to hold their seats. Boy oh boy you don't even THINK of moving something to claim the seat. Fans can be pretty nuts sometimes. Concert manners not to mess with the seats claimed.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:42 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,190,813 times
Oh sweetie, if you were 8 months pregnant you were entitled to a chair, IMO.

And, they don't excuse people from jury duty who are that far along in a pregnancy?

Appearing for jury duty is the pits, though. I don't know why they treat prospective juries like warm bodies that have no value, but they do. At least they did the time I appeared in St. Louis County Court.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:57 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,763,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Oh sweetie, if you were 8 months pregnant you were entitled to a chair, IMO.

And, they don't excuse people from jury duty who are that far along in a pregnancy?

Appearing for jury duty is the pits, though. I don't know why they treat prospective juries like warm bodies that have no value, but they do. At least they did the time I appeared in St. Louis County Court.
I ended up serving that day. I remember one prospective juror who had a baby at home and the judge would not let her go. She was breastfeeding and the judge did not care in the least. I felt bad for her. The lawyers on the other hand, did dismiss her.

I've been called several times with varying experiences. Some counties handle it better then others. Some judges are more understanding then others. That particular day was a mess from start to finish.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:06 PM

6,232 posts, read 3,614,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The thread about the women calling dibs on a table in a restaurant made me think back to something that happened a long time ago. I got called for jury duty along with hundreds of other people. We had to wait in a large room. Some people had seats, others did not. The clerk called everyone who needed a letter to give to their employer to the window. About half of the people in the room got up to get that letter, myself included. When I was done, I found an empty seat and sat down. The man sitting beside me told me that a lady (stranger to him) had asked him to save her seat for her. I was 8 moths pregnant at the time. I thought to myself, "everyone lost their seat in the shuffle and everyone had to find new seats and I'm not moving". I stayed put. When the lady came back she was furious with me. I ignored her. Shortly after people either got dismissed or called to different courtrooms. I saw her in the hall later that afternoon and she was still furious at me, the pregnant lady who stole "her seat".

Maybe I was in the wrong that day and I'm not sure I'd do the same thing again. It didn't occur to me to ask a stranger to hold a seat for me and it also didn't occur to me that I was entitled to have a seat the whole time in a room where many people were standing. In my view it was luck of the draw. If you found an empty seat, you got it, if not, oh well.

What do you think?
I think since we are no longer elementary school students in the cafeteria, there is no such thing as saving seats. And I think anyone who'd make an 8 months pregnant woman get up and move ought to be ashamed of themselves.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:28 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,311,201 times
The trams in Singapore has signs posted to give their seats to the elderly, women who were pregnant or with a young child. My dd never had to stand someone was always giving her their seat.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:36 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,509,876 times
Situations like that are very nebulous to me. People in those situations seem to either think like you or like the other lady, and it's always uncertain what will happen. In this scenario, just to give a letter to someone, it seems like people are entitled to retake their seat (first come/first served and all that). The bigger issue is that you were obviously pregnant and no one thought to offer you a seat. The even bigger issue is that they didn't have enough seats for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships