Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 03:45 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer_Rain View Post
This!

I wonder though, was it very obvious that you were pregnant OP? I can't always tell when somebody is pregnant versus overweight for example.I use public transport frequently and at every stop I will look around to see if somebody (e.g. older people, pregnant ladies) might need my seat . I will admit that I am super careful offering my seat to women who I think might be pregnant as I don't want to cause offence. Maybe the lady in question just didn't realise that you were pregnant?

This reminds me of an article I read a couple of months ago. About a badge that was being trialled by London Underground, that "will see disabled passengers and those with hidden conditions, illnesses and injuries receive a blue badge to alert fellow passengers of their need for a seat on public transport." https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/pr...-able-to-stand
I haven't heard anything about the trial since so not sure how successful it is!
I was a very obvious pregnant lady. All belly. Even so, I still think it was strange for her to expect to have her seat saved in that type of incidence. The pregnancy thing just made it even weirder to me.

Interesting about the badge. It seems like a good idea. Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
I had someone give me the death stare because I didn't give up my seat for her on a bus, I was actually much more heavily pregnant than she was, I just didn't have a cute little scarf tied around my 'bump' to make sure everyone knew it (the trend where I lived at the time I was pregnant and honestly, the only way I could even tell she was pregnant). I didn't feel like explaining myself to her, and just let her stew. She didn't feel the need to give any of the guys on the bus any kind of attitude, of course.

The day before I actually gave birth, 9 days overdue, I was the only person on the bus that offered up my seat to an elderly lady. I couldn't believe it!

What happened to women looking out for each other!
That's sad that she felt the need to take her anger out on you, another woman in her same situation. It is weird that no one else offered her a seat Maybe they saw how badly she treated you and they decided, "let her stand".

Old 01-13-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
If I were OP, I would've gotten been annoyed, but I still would've gotten up. And yes, I've been pregnant before, if that matters.

I've been in that jury duty situation before where everyone gets up, and what irks me is when I go back to my seat, someone else sat in it. I know it's open to anyone, but still. It's like in a college classroom after everyone gets up to turn in their paper, they go back to the same seat. I think it's only normal to expect your seat to still be there at jury duty. Guess not.
In retrospect I do wish I would have gotten up. Dramatically grabbing my back and belly and saying, "no, of course, you need this seat more then anyone" and waddled out of the row. It would have been much more fun.

I don't know what the proper etiquette would be in a giant waiting room type of situation would be for seats. That's one thing I'm curious about. About a hundred people got up to get in line and I don't know how many (if any) ended up in the same seat afterwards. I think a lot of people standing jumped in and sat down at that point in any empty seat they could find. We had no idea if we'd be in that room for a few minutes or a few hours so not a lot of patient people.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:42 PM

4,062 posts, read 2,140,022 times
I don't think anyone was assigned a waiting room seat for the day. If someone got up to use the bathroom or get the employer letter, then that seat becomes vacant for the next person to use..until s/he gets up and vacates the seat. I feel for the poor guy who she enlisted since he had to try to ward you off.

If she had placed something on the chair like her purse, I wouldn't have removed it. But if I was third-trimester pregnant I think I would have grabbed an available seat (and yes, in my mind, it was available).

Old 01-13-2017, 04:53 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
If she had placed something on the chair like her purse, I wouldn't have removed it.
Put her purse in the chair and walk away? Are you kidding??

Old 01-13-2017, 05:04 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,515,443 times
They had already been seated for the first part of the wait, and you all stood. Surely it was time to trade! Plus I'm assuming they did not tell you that you would be going back to your seats after getting in line.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I don't think anyone was assigned a waiting room seat for the day. If someone got up to use the bathroom or get the employer letter, then that seat becomes vacant for the next person to use..until s/he gets up and vacates the seat. I feel for the poor guy who she enlisted since he had to try to ward you off.

If she had placed something on the chair like her purse, I wouldn't have removed it. But if I was third-trimester pregnant I think I would have grabbed an available seat (and yes, in my mind, it was available).
I agree with all of this, including feeling bad for the guy she enlisted. He didn't know what to do!

When adults start saving seats (without using coats, purses, other physical indicators) I feel like I'm back in the elementary school cafeteria.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:27 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,092,300 times
Unless one actually sees a baby hotfooting it through the birth canal, one must never assume or ask a woman if she is pregnant.

Yes, I agree with a previous poster that said: (paraphrase)

As a gentleman saving a seat for another lady, I would've happily given up mine for the "seemingly" pregnant gal.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:32 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,730,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Is this honestly an issue to devote so much time and energy into attempting to figure out?
Leave it in the past and move forward, no one really knows what they would do in a specific situation until the time they are in the situation and have to make a decision.

I have noticed a lot of your posts are "why do you care" or some sort of "holier than thou". Sometimes people want to talk it out. They want to know that the way they felt is the way others would feel. Seeking validation no matter how petty isnt a bad thing. That is the whole point of message boards. Folks want to talk about what they want to talk about. It is very easy to just move on from something you dont agree with.

Now, to the OP, I believe in saving seats for folks. If someone said "hey can you save this for me" I would be a little put off if someone (regardless of their situation) took that seat. By the same token if someone took my seat I wouldnt waste energy on giving folks the stink eye, That's just silly

Old 01-13-2017, 08:00 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,029,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I was a very obvious pregnant lady. All belly. Even so, I still think it was strange for her to expect to have her seat saved in that type of incidence. The pregnancy thing just made it even weirder to me
I find it strange that you were told someone was already sitting there, and refused to move. Was there no other empty seats?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships