Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 08:08 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I find it strange that you were told someone was already sitting there, and refused to move. Was there no other empty seats?
I saw am empty seat and sat down in it. There were not any other empty seats that I could see. It was a very large and very crowded room with more people then seats.

Last edited by MissTerri; 01-13-2017 at 08:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 08:39 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
In the situation as described, it should be obvious that the seats were being vacated only for a temporary amount of time: for the people to get their employer letters, and that's it. In a case like this, I think that it should be assumed that the people who had the seats originally should still have claim to them. So, sorry OP, but I think you were in the wrong. Of course, when the people are called to go to the jury room, then it's equally obvious that they are finished waiting in the main room, so any seats vacated for this reason are up for grabs.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
In the situation as described, it should be obvious that the seats were being vacated only for a temporary amount of time: for the people to get their employer letters, and that's it. In a case like this, I think that it should be assumed that the people who had the seats originally should still have claim to them. So, sorry OP, but I think you were in the wrong. Of course, when the people are called to go to the jury room, then it's equally obvious that they are finished waiting in the main room, so any seats vacated for this reason are up for grabs.
Thanks for sharing your perspective. Seat saving is a murky issue for me. I lost my seat too when I got up to get my letter. It never occurred to me that it would still be open and waiting for me when I was finished. I assumed that someone who didn't have a seat would grab it. And of course, that is what happened. Most people lost their original seat and either found another or ended up standing. I did not feel like that was my seat for the day just because I sat in it first. That kind of thought never crossed my mind and wouldn't in the future. I figured if I was lucky enough to find another open seat, I'd sit down. If not, I'd stand. Clearly the other woman's thoughts were more in line with yours. And that's where our conflict came into play.

Last edited by MissTerri; 01-13-2017 at 10:03 PM..

Old 01-13-2017, 09:56 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
I have noticed a lot of your posts are "why do you care" or some sort of "holier than thou". Sometimes people want to talk it out. They want to know that the way they felt is the way others would feel. Seeking validation no matter how petty isnt a bad thing. That is the whole point of message boards. Folks want to talk about what they want to talk about. It is very easy to just move on from something you dont agree with.
*perhaps you should heed your own advice and move on since you appear not to like something you commented on*
Now, to the OP, I believe in saving seats for folks. If someone said "hey can you save this for me" I would be a little put off if someone (regardless of their situation) took that seat. By the same token if someone took my seat I wouldnt waste energy on giving folks the stink eye, That's just silly
Stalking me?
Life is not as complicated as so many make it if they would tend to themselves and not what others do or say or wear or save or........
The main question is why do you spend time focusing on something that is in the past, done, over and cannot be changed and why in the world does anyone feel the need for *validation* from someone else.
That is equal to asking someone's permission to do what you already did that cannot be changed.
If the little things mentioned are the biggest worry of your life at the moment you are having a pretty good life yet you spend time complaining and seeking validation from random strangers on a public forum.
Perhaps spending time seeking professional guidance would be a better use of time and validating...

Old 01-14-2017, 04:57 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
I think that you should have returned to the seat you had been sitting in prior to being called up.
If you didn't already have a seat, you should have waited like the others, pregnant or not....or spoken to the bailiff and asked for a seat.

I think since the lady asked the man to save her seat, stranger or not...your refusal to move put you in the wrong.

Aside, My sons are the type that would have offered you their seat. So, obviously there weren't any gentlemen there that day.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:58 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Stalking me?
Life is not as complicated as so many make it if they would tend to themselves and not what others do or say or wear or save or........
The main question is why do you spend time focusing on something that is in the past, done, over and cannot be changed and why in the world does anyone feel the need for *validation* from someone else.
That is equal to asking someone's permission to do what you already did that cannot be changed.
If the little things mentioned are the biggest worry of your life at the moment you are having a pretty good life yet you spend time complaining and seeking validation from random strangers on a public forum.
Perhaps spending time seeking professional guidance would be a better use of time and validating
Nope no stalking necessary. Some posters just stand out. Saw a trending topic on the right and clicked on it and sure enough a poster who always stands out was there.

To the bolded part it is because it is basic human nature right or wrong.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:03 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The thread about the women calling dibs on a table in a restaurant made me think back to something that happened a long time ago. I got called for jury duty along with hundreds of other people. We had to wait in a large room. Some people had seats, others did not. The clerk called everyone who needed a letter to give to their employer to the window. About half of the people in the room got up to get that letter, myself included. When I was done, I found an empty seat and sat down. The man sitting beside me told me that a lady (stranger to him) had asked him to save her seat for her. I was 8 moths pregnant at the time. I thought to myself, "everyone lost their seat in the shuffle and everyone had to find new seats and I'm not moving". I stayed put. When the lady came back she was furious with me. I ignored her. Shortly after people either got dismissed or called to different courtrooms. I saw her in the hall later that afternoon and she was still furious at me, the pregnant lady who stole "her seat".

Maybe I was in the wrong that day and I'm not sure I'd do the same thing again. It didn't occur to me to ask a stranger to hold a seat for me and it also didn't occur to me that I was entitled to have a seat the whole time in a room where many people were standing. In my view it was luck of the draw. If you found an empty seat, you got it, if not, oh well.

What do you think?
you poached the lady's seat...the "man" should have given you his...all the defendants were guilty

Old 01-14-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Stalking me?
Perhaps spending time seeking professional guidance would be a better use of time and validating...
You are reading way too much into things. It's not that serious.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:09 AM

3,300 posts, read 3,026,852 times
I have a physical condition that doesn't show, and sitting is infinitely preferable for my situation, but I would stand up till I fell down in order to give my seat to a pregnant woman. And when everyone shuffles around, it's a whole new game.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:33 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
I think it's a sad commentary on our society when no "gentleman" gets up to give a visibly pregnant woman his seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships