Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 08:36 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,707,853 times

Advertisements

Just say NO......very simple!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 08:41 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,299,734 times
How about the old standby, "Oh, I couldn't imagine discussing that."

Followed by changing the subject abruptly.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:53 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,376,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Asking people about their income is so rude. Just tell her you don't discuss financial things with people.

The more you say the more I want to help you look for a new room
The above is the correct answer. Don't beat around the bush. Directly and unequivocally look her in the eye and tell her you don't discuss that subject.

I never understand why people want to be nicey-nice in their replies to rude questions. And the next time she asks you, say "I already answered your question." Because you did. You told her you don't discuss financial things.

"Why do you ask?" is also an appropriate reply to MANY nosy, inappropriate questions. The questioner can't usually articulate a reasonable explanation (because there isn't one). But in the case there is some pressure applied, just say the subject isn't something you are interested in discussing. If she says, "I told you how much I make," the reply should be, "You volunteered, I didn't ask."

Old 12-02-2015, 09:16 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,681,895 times
I think it is important to not be confrontational if you want to stay there. It gets uncomfortable really fast with roommates, if there's a confrontation.

If you didn't live with her, it would be easy to be "pointed" in your response. But, you do live with her.

I think my favorite suggestion so far is "Why do you ask?" You could say it in a nice way. Maybe add, "Are you worried about something?"

Then she will have to come up with some response, and it would probably be easy to skirt around whatever she says.

I'd probably take a joking stance if she really pursued it and say, with a twinkle in my eye, "I'll show you my bank statements if you show me yours." And then wink.

Then, the issue is total worth and not about the company salaries. And she's probably not going to want to show you her bank statements.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:43 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,707,853 times
I make a million dollars an hour....happy?

Yup, I'm THAT snarky!

Old 12-03-2015, 07:21 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,635,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilypad1126 View Post
This is really cynical of me, but is she asking because she maybe wants to increase the amount you pay her each month now that you make more? One would hope not, and that you have a proper lease, etc etc, but that was the first thing I thought given how you described her (your roommate who is technically your landlady).
I was thinking the same thing.

I would move out. This is harassment!

Old 12-03-2015, 09:00 AM

16,287 posts, read 32,451,889 times
Another response that i like is:

"I can understand why you would like to know, and more than likely like you I am working full time hours for part time pay, but do not worry, I can still afford the rent."

Old 12-03-2015, 09:04 AM

5,707 posts, read 5,975,916 times
Little BILLY was sitting on a park bench munching on one candy bar after another. After the 6th one, a man on the bench across from him said, "Son, you know eating all that candy isn't good for you. It will give you acne, rot your teeth, and make you fat." Little BILLY replied, "My grandfather lived to be 107 years old." "Oh?" replied the man. "Did your grandfather eat 6 candy bars at a time?" "No" replied Little Billy, "he minded his own damn business!!"

Old 12-03-2015, 10:26 AM

439 posts, read 520,293 times
Thank you for your responses!! After reading all of them (and upon further reflection...) I think it would be totally inappropriate to tell her my hourly salary, like it was said above - it invites trouble.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:00 PM

774 posts, read 750,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburned_in_seattle View Post
Thank you for your responses!! After reading all of them (and upon further reflection...) I think it would be totally inappropriate to tell her my hourly salary, like it was said above - it invites trouble.

I would turn it around on her and ask if she anticipated anymore utility outages in the near future or when she was going to get another renter. Or I would flat out ask her why she wants to know. The one thing I would not do is give her that information. I assume she didn't ask you to fill an application out which would have your salary on it. If she's worried about people being able to pay their rent she probably should get that info before she lets them move in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships