Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 12:03 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Why lower? She's sticking her nose into someone else's biz. I don't know the OP but I am a sarcastic person. I would say an outrageous amount.

Say it's really $2000 per month, I would tell her I make $10,000 per month while rolling my eyes. It's an obvious exaggeration so when she looks confused... Shrug and walk away. If someone told me that I would naturally assume they didn't want me to know or it's none of my business (not that I would be rude enough to ask).

Lying about a lower amount is an actual lie and could backfire (can she afford to live there, will rent be late, etc.).
Because the OP thinks the landlady is hoping to hear the OP is making more money so that she can raise the rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 12:07 PM

4,848 posts, read 2,667,243 times
when she asks, just say "not enough"

Old 12-02-2015, 02:17 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,567,013 times
Dude, if I'm you, I"m moving ASAP. too many psychos like this in the world now.

Old 12-02-2015, 03:35 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,234,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburned_in_seattle View Post
Hello, yes it is me again.

Is there a polite way to ask my roommate (also technically my landlady though - I pay my rent to her ea month) to stop asking me re: starting salary for a new job (which I already told her, is more hourly salary than last job..) I have lived here only three months and have paid my rent early ea month (plus the security deposit) so there have been no issues, in that regard. We work for the same company (kind of), but different locations, but basically the same role...I believe she is getting a raise Jan 1 (I will not get a raise until I work there for a number of months...)

salary is sort of a "sort spot" w me, in this job only because (and I wonder if she senses this...and does this just to be mean? you know, human nature- pick on the weak one to feel better about oneself...I am just the "poor renter" in this housing situ ) yes, it is more hourly salary but at the same time, I was hired at the "minimum" that they start people at...(Also, a simple "Glassdoor" google search - and landlord/roommate could easily look up my salary range...she doesn't need to ask me...she could just be polite, in that regard) When I went to my interview, I had the flu bug (should I have rescheduled?) I guess I was just kind of weak that day and didn't have very much "fight" in me...So when it came to salary negotiations I just got taken to the cleaners...kinda my fault b/c - I did not research online what the range was...plus I thought they would offer me something better, due to my experience and being such a reliable employee at other location (HA HA, I am so naive!!) So, they gouged me starting salary and I accepted. In a number of months though, I will be back up to making decent.

Anyhow, I am not sure how to tell her to stop asking me how much I make. Like I said, could easily google search it. There is no reason she could be nervous I will not pay my rent on time - I know how to budget and if she checked my last several rental references, she would know that I never paid late for any of those places. I think she just does it to be mean/degrading...but like I said it is sore spot with me...I should have negotiated better...

Thank you for your time and/or thoughts/suggestions.
LIE to shut her up. Acceptable to shut her down.This business! This the real world. She just wants info to get more of your money! Act like they actually screwed you and you might need time to pay! She is not your friend. She is now your adversary.

Old 12-02-2015, 03:39 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,234,137 times
Quote:
"I was raised not to discuss personal finances with others." Gonna go with that one...Next time landlady asks, that is going to be my answer..thanks ; )
Or; i was warned by management to not reveal how much i make. How much do you make.

The person that asks the questions controls the conversation.

Old 12-02-2015, 05:34 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,333,368 times
I don't see it as any of her business how much you are making.

1. With a new job the only reason the land lord should have a problem is if you can not make the rent. As long as you are paying your rent then no problem. To fish for a reason she may be asking, you could say; I don't understand why you ask me all the time how much I am making, I still have enough to pay the rent each month."

2. Your income has no bearing on how much the rent is going to be. Do you have some kind of rental agreement? Does it say how much the rent is for your room? What is the time frame? IS the rent set in stone for a year?

3. In the event that she can increase your rent check the rental laws in your state. In California she would need to give you 30 days and if it is a 10% or higher increase a 60 day notice. (I think it is 10%, not sure on that, Still, time frames apply.) You have the freedom at that point to say you will then turn in your 30 day notice.

What I would do if you don't have a rental agreement, is to get something in writing. If you plan on staying there get that in writing if she does increase your rent. You always want to protect yourself.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:12 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,646,068 times
Yeah, the technical term for this is "none of her damn business".

I have heard of employers who establish policies prohibiting workers from telling other workers what they get paid. Those policies are illegal. The only reason an employer would want to do this is to avoid pressure to raise pay. Clearly illegal as concerted activity related to wages, hours, and working conditions even if you don't have a union.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:13 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Quote:
p.s. She is a "bugger" in general (a.k.a., nagger...)

Tell her you make enough to pay your rent early each month.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:30 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,605,248 times
Next time she asks you what you're making, say "You first." That should shut her up.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:49 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,102,333 times
I really don't understand why it's such an issue to you. The answer you give is simple:

Because we work for the same company now, it would be an ethics violation for me to tell you. Additionally, since I pay my rent on time without issue, there is no reason for you to know. Do not ask me again.

Not a please do not ask. It's a statement and a line in the sand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships