Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 11:06 PM

439 posts, read 521,262 times

Advertisements

sorry, last comment (sorry for 20 comments in a row..) I think it could be financial...about a month ago internet went out for two days - which was stressful for me to survive without it... I think they forgot to pay bill (and/or did not have enough money to pay bill)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 12:51 AM

8,000 posts, read 5,443,812 times
Just tell her it is minimum wage

I always think if people are being too nosey it gives me an excuse to make up an answer.

Old 12-02-2015, 05:17 AM

5,044 posts, read 7,517,267 times
As others said its SO rude to ask about someone's finances.
It's like asking someone how much they weigh!

Get her a book on manners

Old 12-02-2015, 07:03 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,850,230 times
If your landlady has an empty room she should not be ruffling your feathers to the extent that you will move out but then you don't know her super-well and maybe her personality keeps people moving out. 2 adult daughters to support? wow. They probably do a lot of talking amongst themselves and may (stupidly) push their momma into raising your rent so they can continue to freeload.

Landlady will continue to ask you until you politely tell her to stop asking that's personal. People do what works for them and you have not told her to stop.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:15 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,654,239 times
Don't ever give that information out even to those who you are friends with at work. Over the years have seen total ridiculousness kick in when someone finds you got a raise or amount you make. People you least expected didn't get a raise and feelings are hurt or worse. Tell her three things you never discuss and that's income,politics,religion. Nosy people asking personnel things drive me nuts.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:48 AM

1,242 posts, read 1,699,869 times
Under no circumstances should you tell her what you make. It could come back to bite you at work, or in your rental situation. Furthermore, its none of her business. Next time she asks just say..

"I'm not comfortable discussing it."

If she prods you or gives you a hard time just followup with...

"That's not something I want to talk about", "I don't discuss my personal finances, by the way, what's the story with the internet going out?"

Old 12-02-2015, 08:16 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,806,039 times
If you tell her you don't want to talk about it and she persists, just lie and tell her a lower number than you're making. Normally I would never tell someone to lie, but it's none of her business and she probably just wants to raise your rent anyway.

In the meantime, save as much as you can and try to find a better place to live.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:02 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,644,187 times
Are there really people who rent out rooms who don't pull a credit check and require proof of income? I think you are imagining this person is an equal, when they are above you on the rental food chain. She isn't your room mate, she is your landlord, regardless of where she lives. Do you have a signed rental agreement or not?

Old 12-02-2015, 11:11 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,577,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
If you tell her you don't want to talk about it and she persists, just lie and tell her a lower number than you're making. Normally I would never tell someone to lie, but it's none of her business and she probably just wants to raise your rent anyway.

In the meantime, save as much as you can and try to find a better place to live.
Why lower? She's sticking her nose into someone else's biz. I don't know the OP but I am a sarcastic person. I would say an outrageous amount.

Say it's really $2000 per month, I would tell her I make $10,000 per month while rolling my eyes. It's an obvious exaggeration so when she looks confused... Shrug and walk away. If someone told me that I would naturally assume they didn't want me to know or it's none of my business (not that I would be rude enough to ask).

Lying about a lower amount is an actual lie and could backfire (can she afford to live there, will rent be late, etc.).

Old 12-02-2015, 12:00 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,209,834 times
Say, "I'm not comfortable talking about money".

Also, if you tell her you could get in big trouble with your company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships