Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 10:18 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,795,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
But I was also just thinking in general, since so many peoples' lives are all on social media, that for many, if they deleted their social media, they would be deleting their life.
And don't you find that sad? I certainly do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 10:30 PM

4,610 posts, read 5,751,724 times
Lightbulb Deleting your public profile from Facebook doesn't stop FB rom profiling you.

I used to be a fan of LinkedIn, but I am not sure it has as much career utility today is it used to. Too much noise, not enough added value.

Quote:
I was just thinking of this today. I'm in my late 30s, and was late to get started with social media. I didn't have Facebook until 2011, and LinkedIn a few years later. I'm not very active on either. So, I wondered what the effect would be to just disappear from all social media. I remember some people thought it was unusual that I didn't have Facebook in 2011. So has anyone deleted everything?
I wouldn't delete everything, but there is certainly some value in stopping updating, logging out, and deleting all your cookies. Especially for low-utility sites like Facebook.

For most people, that folk from your past will have an easier time attempting to contact you if you maintain a minimal presence on social media is a positive. You still have the right to ignore them if you choose.

Same goes for not updating -- if you stop publishing to Facebook, it doesn't stop Facebook from building and selling your profile to advertisers, it just removes your control over that profile entirely. Better to keep the accounts around and use them to 'like' the occasional albino hedgehog.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:51 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,288,942 times
I tried Facebunk way back when it started, and quickly grew tired of it. I abandoned it when it became an obvious source of narcissistic supply to most using it. Twitter I never bothered with, and I can't see the point in the others either. If I want to contact someone I pick up the phone or email them.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:00 AM

11,180 posts, read 10,609,327 times
I have 20+ nieces and nephews, and 30+ grand-nieces and grand-nephews, scattered throughout the world. Loads of cousins. Facebook works for us, enables us to share photos and ups-and-downs of life. I love my family.

City-Data is the biggest social media time-waster in which I indulge. If I ever see the need to give up social media. C-D will be at the top of my list.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:26 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,574,494 times
Quote:
I was just thinking of this today. I'm in my late 30s, and was late to get started with social media. I didn't have Facebook until 2011, and LinkedIn a few years later. I'm not very active on either.

So, I wondered what the effect would be to just disappear from all social media. I remember some people thought it was unusual that I didn't have Facebook in 2011.

So has anyone deleted everything?
Considering the lack of activity, the effect would me minimal.

[or none]

Old 12-30-2014, 06:20 AM

7 posts, read 6,074 times
Quote:
I was just thinking of this today. I'm in my late 30s, and was late to get started with social media. I didn't have Facebook until 2011, and LinkedIn a few years later. I'm not very active on either.

So, I wondered what the effect would be to just disappear from all social media. I remember some people thought it was unusual that I didn't have Facebook in 2011.

So has anyone deleted everything?
I like Facebook. I don't post regularly but its nice to get photos from friends and family. I think if it is used responsibility it is a wonderful tool to enhance communication. I will add one thing that I have deleted though. Television. The first few weeks were hard but now even when I sit in a waiting room, if the TV is on, it is so incredibly abnoxious I do want h DVDs but I never have to here 'STRANGE NEW BACTERIA FOUND IN ON SPECIFIC VEGETABLE THAT U MIGHT B EATING FOR DINNER TONIGHT -- more details tonight at 5 lol

Old 12-30-2014, 08:02 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,781,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I've had FB since 2009. Wow! can't believe it's been that long. I've thought about not using it anymore at times. It's a time squasher. I also use twitter, instagram and pinterest sparingly. 2015 is coming up, maybe a FB sabbatical is in order as well as other social media.
Same here! I have all of the above except Instagram. I'm tired of Facebook, though if I were to delete my profile, people would probably think I'm weird for not having a Facebook. But yeah, I'm tired of Facebook. In fact, I'm more interested in viewing fan pages than I am in reading posts from people on my friends list.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:27 AM

18,530 posts, read 1,436,280 times
I have never bothered with any social media (unless C-D is considered a form of social media). It is a time waster for me, as well as an issue of protection.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:34 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,410,837 times
It's my fantasy, to delete all social media, but I cant. It's fun.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:55 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,045,706 times
Well I am a woman with no social media personally. But Due to my work I have to have twitter. so I keep it. Other than that I have nothing and I miss nothing either. my opinion there is no reason to keep FB or any other things to keep in touch. write an email send a miss you card. FB I had for few years. Every one added me because they were at my university either his or her sister or brother knew me,, at the end become a headache. Some were out of the blue started blaming that I hide information. So that it is I went right away to the setting and clicked "deactivate" and no single regret ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships