Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 10:31 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,983,801 times

Advertisements

We've all had this happen at some point, and my apologies if this has been covered. From time to time a post will be deleted with a comment from the mod as to why. There have been a couple where I've wanted to question why, but I'm not sure if I would get an infraction, or get in trouble. In the event a post is deleted am I allowed to refer to the mod who deleted it, and obtain a better explanation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 10:37 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,845,629 times
You can ask but don't insult or yell.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:03 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,333,392 times
Certainly you are welcome to ask for more information, just please do so by DM to the Mod rather than a post in an open thread. Your general inquiry here is perfectly fine as you don't include any specifics, but when you ask about a specific post, that should be done through the messaging function rather than in a thread. Discussing specific Moderator actions in the public forum can indeed earn you infractions.

Also, the Mod is far likelier to be able to respond if you are very specific about which post you are inquiring about. It may seem obvious to you, but that isn't necessarily the case for the Mod. Expecting a Mod to go picking through the last 100 or so posts you've made looking for one that he or she deleted is unrealistic, so try to be clear about what you are referring to. It helps a whole lot if you include the URL to the thread in question, and even more if you include information like "I had a post immediately following post #97 in this thread, and I see that my post got deleted. I am curious about the reason for deletion."

Old 01-21-2014, 01:29 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,496,596 times
Yes, always include a link!!

Old 01-21-2014, 04:02 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,653,607 times
Of course you can ask, as Debsi says we need the link!

Old 01-21-2014, 04:17 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
We've all had this happen at some point, and my apologies if this has been covered. From time to time a post will be deleted with a comment from the mod as to why. There have been a couple where I've wanted to question why, but I'm not sure if I would get an infraction, or get in trouble. In the event a post is deleted am I allowed to refer to the mod who deleted it, and obtain a better explanation?
Here is a list of all the forums and which moderators take care of moderating each forum: https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/1...ator-list.html

If you have a question about a deleted post, you can contact the appropriate moderator. Also, the deleted post appears with the moderators name and a brief reason why the post was deleted.

You should not get an infraction by sending a DM to the Moderator and asking about the deleted post.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:41 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Of course you can ask, as Debsi says we need the link!
How do you provide a link if the post was deleted? What exactly do you link to..?

Old 01-22-2014, 05:11 AM

10,006 posts, read 15,653,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
How do you provide a link if the post was deleted? What exactly do you link to..?
Link to the thread at least. Many members send dm's only asking "Why did you remove my post?". If it's a long thread, try to provide the approximate post # or where it is in the thread.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:17 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,270,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Anything that might help us get a clue. Seriously. I've had such questions where a poster managed to write 30 more posts in various forums since the deletion. Or, they had several posts removed recently in different threads. Or nothing was deleted, just moved to another thread (if something is moved it's more diffcult for us to trace than a simple deletion). Just don't assume that we know (or even remember) every single post that appears on the boards.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:04 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,829,556 times
If I post something and a staff member doesnt like it and removes it,I just PM them and ask what was wrong.. And I apologise for having to cause them to feel they have to delete it in the first place..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum