Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2012, 02:33 PM

301 posts, read 805,006 times

Advertisements

Okay. So I had a post deleted recently, which is fine. I'm not mad about that, but am a little confused.

My post was here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/u-s-t...ty-usvi-3.html and here is the comment left: "This message has been deleted by Annie of Oldsmar. Reason: Bumping a thread is against the TOS. Sorry about that. You might start a new thread."

So that makes sense... but underneath it I see a big message that says:
Quote:
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

If you reply, this thread will be bumped to the top of the forum.
The two seem very contradictory. If I had seen a notice saying not to bump it, I would have started a new topic, but because that notice was there, I figured I should just post on the thread. So can anyone clear this up for me? It's just that the notice encourages bumping, but it's actually against the rules.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:43 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,869,572 times
"Bumping" in the banned sense is replying to your own post just to make it move up on the page. No new info is added, people just usually write "bump" b/c they haven't gotten any answers. The kind of bumping in the announcement is for when you genuinely have new info or questions to add to the topic.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:43 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,806,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogax3Girl View Post
Okay. So I had a post deleted recently, which is fine. I'm not mad about that, but am a little confused.
If you had not started your reply with "Bumping this." I would have not said anything.... The remainder of your post seemed fine...

For the past 20+ years or so I have considered the definition of the word bumping to be "To bump a thread on an internet forum is to post a reply to it purely in order to raise the thread's profile. This will typically return it to the top of the list of active threads." I don't think you actually did that. You appeared to be adding more information and your opinion. Something I consider important in a normal conversation...

REFERENCE: Bump (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-23-2012, 12:20 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,273,952 times
You're right, we'll take care of this. My apologies for the trouble.

In the future, please, DM a moderator with such complaints, instead of posting them on the forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum