Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 09:41 AM

2,028 posts, read 1,894,355 times

Advertisements

I don't get it, does this site have hired bots that bump old threads or something? Or are new members digging up old topics that relate to them and responding to them as their 1st and 2nd posts? It seems they never bump up current threads.

I only see this from posters with less than 20 posts, and I see it generally in the Relationships Forum.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:42 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,894,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
I don't get it, does this site have hired bots that bump old threads or something? Or are new members digging up old topics that relate to them and responding to them as their 1st and 2nd posts? It seems they never bump up current threads.

I only see this from posters with less than 20 posts, and I see it generally in the Relationships Forum.
instead of bumping, why dont they just create a thread that pertains to their issue?

Old 09-16-2011, 09:42 AM

29,805 posts, read 34,642,360 times
I think what happens is that the new poster has googled something, and the C-D thread comes up as a result. They don't look at the date before they post.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I think what happens is that the new poster has googled something, and the C-D thread comes up as a result. They don't look at the date before they post.
Thanks fleetiebelle, makes sense. This has bugged me since I've seen it for the past few years, even back when I was just a lurker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth
instead of bumping, why dont they just create a thread that pertains to their issue?
I agree.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:47 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,675,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
Because then people yell at them that "there's already a thread for this!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle
Yup, that's it.

I realize a few people get upset about this, but I don't know - maybe I'm in a mellow mood today but it really doesn't bother me much. Sometimes your point of view on a topic changes over time and it's good to revisit it.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:50 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,282,835 times
You even see members with lots of posts making mistakes and bumping old threads because they didn't look at the date. It should be expected new members are going to do this way more often.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:50 AM

25,899 posts, read 42,844,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
We generally encourage people to contribute to existing topics, rather than create a new thread about the same thing, especially when the existing threads are active at the moment. That makes more room for other topics.

If someone revives a topic with a post like, "I have a similar problem, which is ...," we might break that post off into its own topic so that people respond to it instead of answering the OP. As the new/resurrecting post falls off the front page, many or most responders will not see it and that person will not get much advice, while the original poster (who may not even be around) will.

If the reviving post is something like, "I agree and here's why," it doesn't need its own thread. If the OP is long gone, someone might say something. But if it's a general topic, who cares if the OP is around? It can still be a good discussion.

Also, I see this on lots of board, not just Relationships! It's an everyday occurrence.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:21 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,894,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
We generally encourage people to contribute to existing topics, rather than create a new thread about the same thing, especially when the existing threads are active at the moment. That makes more room for other topics.

If someone revives a topic with a post like, "I have a similar problem, which is ...," we might break that post off into its own topic so that people respond to it instead of answering the OP. As the new/resurrecting post falls off the front page, many or most responders will not see it and that person will not get much advice, while the original poster (who may not even be around) will.

If the reviving post is something like, "I agree and here's why," it doesn't need its own thread. If the OP is long gone, someone might say something. But if it's a general topic, who cares if the OP is around? It can still be a good discussion.

Also, I see this on lots of board, not just Relationships! It's an everyday occurrence.
you know JJ, it doesnt bother me either way i'm not one of those 'there's a thread on this already nazi's' or a 'why are you bumping this old thread' guys either...live and let live

Old 09-16-2011, 10:47 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,990,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post

I am not aware of any hired bots...

Many new members find City-Data through search engines. Older threads appear to become more visible.

If you read the Terms Of Service, "Bumping" is not allowed.

There has to be one post which is a "First" post, why does it have to be a newer shorter thread?

Rich

Old 09-16-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I am not aware of any hired bots...

Many new members find City-Data through search engines. Older threads appear to become more visible.

If you read the Terms Of Service, "Bumping" is not allowed.

There has to be one post which is a "First" post, why does it have to be a newer shorter thread?

Rich
Hey Rich,

"Hired bots" was primarily a tongue-in-cheek statement.

Everything else you and others said about search engines makes sense. With that explanation I'm fine with "first posts" being old threads.

Thanks for the reply, I'll brush up on the TOS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum