Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2016, 06:37 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,322,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
In real life, we don't usually choose our own names (though I guess we could if we really wanted to). But on line, we get to do just that!

When we choose a user name, I think it can't help but represent some part of our psyche, whether we intend for it to or not. People will generally form some sort of opinion or first impression of us by our user name.

Personally, I chose my user name because I have great respect for Catherine of Aragon - in case someone out there doesn't know, she is a true historical figure, the first wife of Henry VIII, and I greatly admire her faith, her tenacity, and her dignity. She is an inspiration to me often, though I rarely reach her level of integrity!

However, sometimes people misread my name. I've had people think I was a big Lord of the Rings fan (Aragorn - LOL). If they're thinking that on the front end, they've already reached some erroneous conclusions about my inner life and my personality! Not that I don't like JRR Tolkein but it's not like I'm some sort of Lord of the Rings groupie!

I've also had people misread it - intentionally or not - as Arrogance. This always reminds me of an unfortunate tendency I have of coming across as arrogant when I write. I don't talk like I write, so IRL I don't get accused of arrogance, but when someone accuses me of it online, it's an indicator to me that perhaps that is a part of my psyche and I need to be aware of it and temper it. So though it was unintentional on my part, I have become aware that some people respond to me online with the thought of "Arrogance" bolstered by my user name.

What are your thoughts about user names online? Do you pay much attention to them? Do you find that they often indicate something about the user's personality? Do you think that yours is an accurate indicator of your own personality?

I remember the movie The Other Boleyn Girl so I was pretty sure that is where you got your user name from. Yes, if all the stories are true, Catherine was a great queen. I wonder what would have happened if she had been able to have a son?

I've used the same name in many places once I fell in love with Chihuahuas. The 1228 is my birthday.

Last edited by chiluvr1228; 09-08-2016 at 06:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 01:48 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,252,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
and yours always makes me think of glass beach

Hunting For Sea Glass Treasure In Fort Bragg, CA | FortBragg.com
Someone told me that before, that they read my name as SeaOfGlass. Not sure if it was you or not. I like it, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I've used the same name in many places once I fell in love with Chihuahuas. The 1228 is my birthday.
Ha, I was certain you were a chile pepper lover.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:40 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,592,028 times
I've had my screen name since the days of AOL, Prodigy and CompuServe. I'm from Alaska and my name is Erik, so I put the two together. I really don't recall putting much thought into it and even 25 years later I see no need to change it.

Old 09-09-2016, 01:46 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,441,687 times
I know that I'm a far left, bleeding heart, crunchy granola type and it shows, so I chose MoonBeam to poke a little fun at myself, show I actually do have a sense of humor about my weird liberal viewpoints.

Oh, and 3 is my lucky number!

Old 09-09-2016, 10:03 AM

649 posts, read 570,744 times
I couldn't think of a name and I looked at my baby daughter who was wearing a diaper with Cookie Monster on it so I came up with melovescookies. I do love cookies too so the name works.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:26 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
I enjoy serious conversation, which is often hard to come by in daily life. Since moving back to Tennessee, I'm not on here as much, but this was one of my few social outlets for real discussions.

Old 09-10-2016, 10:23 AM

867 posts, read 723,875 times
Yes, this is fun! It's given me some much-needed smiles this morning.

My City-Data name is a nod to my academic specialty.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:32 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,991 times
I use different names on different services and forums around the Internet as a matter of privacy. I'd already had names based on flowers, butterflies, weather, colors, birds, animals, stars and planets, my astrological sign, pets, and food, so I went with minerals/stones this time. And I like alliteration.

Old 09-10-2016, 04:39 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,125,198 times
One of mine on another forum, long ago, was Creepy Internet Person. people called me cip for short guess they weren't buying the username.

Old 09-10-2016, 05:19 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,929,030 times
When I made up my username I was in pharmacy school, and I was having a real hard time coming up with something. So, I flipped through a drug reference book I had and found the drug "basiliximab"--it's used for kidney transplants. I thought it sounded neat so I took it. A few years ago, I became involved in history research on D.H. Hill, a general who lived during the civil war time period. Now whenever I join message boards, I take the username dhh712 if it's available. (his birthday is 7/12).

Last edited by Basiliximab; 09-10-2016 at 06:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships