Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 10:28 AM

137 posts, read 173,864 times

Advertisements

Sadly, that is the way it is almost every where in America today. The television is largely at fault for that in many ways because all it shows you is FEAR. Crap crime dramas that are on every channel almost every day and the rest of that junk, like Nancy Grace on CNN and the Dateline-type non-fiction crime shows. The local and national television "news", ALL of those are only showing you how and why to fear other people.
Maybe some people are very lucky and they might live in nice 'hoods where people are friendly and they talk to each other and so on, but they are likely the exception to the rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 10:32 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
Get a taller fence-6 foot or more, with no space in between posts so that they can't look into your yard (vinyl works great). Or put trees in front of the fence. You said they are calling your husband within 5 minutes of him walking in...do you mean calling out loud or on the phone? If over the phone, block their number. If out loud...ignore them. They sound like total trash. I'm sorry you have to deal with them. If they bug you while you're outside, wear head phones (while doing yard work, etc) and again ignore them.
Here's the fence I ended up building. No gaps, board and batten with red cedar 2x6s for extra sound deadening. Vinyl/pvc is usually hollow and lacks the mass for adequately blocking sound in my experience. I also put in a hardie board footer below ground level so there's no gap at the bottom either. In front of most of it is a bamboo hedge in raised beds. I wasn't pleased about having to drop close to $10K to screen off the neighbors (and this was a DIY job), but it was worth it.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:34 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
That looks beautiful!

Old 11-04-2014, 03:27 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
There was a guy working for the NYC Health Department who would talk in a "robot voice" when he had to answer the call line. He did this in hopes that the callers would think they got a machine and hang up. In many cases I guess it worked, until he was suspended for 20 days for insubordination.
That made my day. He should have been promoted for being a clever problem solver who thinks outside the box (and then demoted for shirking his duties).

As far as the topic of this thread, good fences make good neighbors.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:35 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Here's the fence I ended up building. No gaps, board and batten with red cedar 2x6s for extra sound deadening. Vinyl/pvc is usually hollow and lacks the mass for adequately blocking sound in my experience. I also put in a hardie board footer below ground level so there's no gap at the bottom either. In front of most of it is a bamboo hedge in raised beds. I wasn't pleased about having to drop close to $10K to screen off the neighbors (and this was a DIY job), but it was worth it.
This is quite lovely, will you come help us with our yard?? LOL

Old 11-07-2014, 06:14 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,508,467 times
I love the fence and the yard, too. What a beautiful job.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:16 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
The fence looks good!

Old 11-08-2014, 07:03 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Fences make the best neighbors. It looks fantastic, and clearly raised the value of your home too...while blocking out the crazies

Old 11-08-2014, 10:14 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
I don't know why when someone has a problem with neighbors who are clearly being an annoyance someone will try to blame it on the victim. Some people have no empathy for others.
And some people have no common sense. The boyfriend had to go over right away and get "chummy", found out quickly these weren't the kind of people you would want to associate with and what does he do, gives out his phone number. Brilliant.

This is why you can go over and introduce yourself when you see a new neighbor outside and talk briefly and see if down the road either one of you have anything in common or there is any interest other than just waving hello and goodbye.

I'm all for knowing and saying hello to neighbors, doesn't mean you have to going to each other's houses and socializing.

You don't go into their house right away, find out a large number of people live there who are unseemly and than give them your phone number, which indicates you want contact with them....ugh. Rather you excuse yourself as soon as possible, realize you made a mistake and inform you other half as to what you found and that we need to avoid these people.

And who buys a house and doesn't drive through the area a few times at different times to see what and who is living around you. Ten people in one house is a red flag.

Sounds like these meth heads spend a lot of time hanging outside, how do you miss that when house hunting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
The OP could contact the local DEA and tell them of their situations and invite the DEA over for a BBQ! Tell them all to wear uniforms. Then do the same thing with local law enforcement, have the cops show up in uniform for a BBQ. This might force them to move.
Yes, because that's what DEA does, you call them up an invite them to BBQs so they intimidate the people next door. Same thing with the local law enforcement.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:21 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Sounds like you move next to nut .Maybe why others moved out if not new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships