Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 08:10 PM

192 posts, read 249,851 times

Advertisements

That's your half of the story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 09:23 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,124,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
I know your posting is well-meaning, but from my experiences people who behave this way would be very offended by this. They can't be reasoned with anymore than telling them to stop taking meth and go get a job to become a productive member of society. The thing is, they don't see themselves as being abnormal or wrong what they are doing. Given that, if someone came over to you out of the blue and said those things you would be offended even as a normal person. Those neighbors are going to see any such discussion as a threat. I wouldn't do this, because they will just increase what they have been doing to annoy them like it's a game to them.

Good Fences Make Good Neighbors". If you don't want to see them tall trees is best. It's privacy and it changes their behavior too. If they can't be outside and see into the OPs yard all the time, they won't find being outside as interesting as they did. Adding fences and trees goes a long way to make a place even nicer to live in.
Spot on. People don't realize when someone is heavily using meth they're in a different reality, their brain chemicals are severely out of balance.

When I saw the problem brewing next door I immediately wanted to fence it off, but my wife thought it would make us look like bad neighbors who move in and cut themselves off. In retrospect, shutting it out was the right thing to do. I'm not sure whether it would have prevented all of the problems that came, but it would have removed us from the line of sight.

Now, of course we have a fence and hedge. I just wish I would have put it in at the start instead of after we tried, and failed, to handle the problem as if we were dealing with rational people.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:11 AM

732 posts, read 972,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGen SFan View Post
Give reverse psychology a try. Act obnoxious, weird, nosy and whatever other way you can think of that might make them want to avoid you & your boyfriend.
Escalating a situation like this is usually a very terrible idea. These people sound like a bunch of unemployed losers who are probably alcoholics or druggies. The last thing someone should do is further interactions with people like that.
I didn't mean in a way that looks deliberately offensive but act annoying, weird, etc. in ways like the type of people others normally choose to avoid without conflict. For example, if you were to argue out loud with yourself and occasionally throw punches at the pugnacious, invisible land octopuses & lobsters people who see you acting that way may want to avoid you (at least if it doesn't backfire to cause them to want a hit of whatever they think you're on).

Old 11-04-2014, 06:37 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,452,902 times
If theyre peeping over your fence then that's actually illegal. Its "peeping Tom."

Old 11-04-2014, 07:44 AM

3,655 posts, read 3,308,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Spot on. People don't realize when someone is heavily using meth they're in a different reality, their brain chemicals are severely out of balance.

When I saw the problem brewing next door I immediately wanted to fence it off, but my wife thought it would make us look like bad neighbors who move in and cut themselves off. In retrospect, shutting it out was the right thing to do. I'm not sure whether it would have prevented all of the problems that came, but it would have removed us from the line of sight.

Now, of course we have a fence and hedge. I just wish I would have put it in at the start instead of after we tried, and failed, to handle the problem as if we were dealing with rational people.
I think the next home we live in, the first thing I'm going to do even before closing on the house is talk to a company about planting trees and possibly getting a fence if needed immediately. There are some neighborhoods where you don't need to do this, but it also depends on the individual. I have a neighbor who loves to hang outside and talk to everyone, and maybe the people who live around him like that. If there was someone there who engage me in conversation each time I left or entered the house I would find that annoying, but to some that gives them a sense of community.

We lived next door to a couple who sold their home to a young couple with kids. Shortly after they moved in, they fenced in their backyard with a privacy fence. No one complained. They have little children and didn't want them wandering outside the yard. I was happy they did it, because when the previous couple were in the backyard the neighbor would talk to us and while I liked them, I prefer to spend a quiet time outside. So this new fence saved me the problem of putting one up and/or planting tall trees on the property line.

I know some people object to having to spend money, but you are improving your own environment so it's money well-spent. Home ownership requires spending money on things you don't want to, but you have to such as a new AC, new roof, new driveway, and the list goes on. You wouldn't sit there with a leaky room because you think it's unfair to have to pay for it. So if you have "leaky" neighbors who are bothering you, plug them out. ;-)

Old 11-04-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetsui View Post
That's your half of the story
And what would the other half be that justifies their actions to be normal?

Old 11-04-2014, 09:07 AM

4 posts, read 8,405 times
Default Find Out About Your Rights

That's abuse. Find out if you can file harassment charges, as it sounds stalkerish! I'm sorry you're dealing with such *******s.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:30 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,124,526 times
Quote:
I didn't mean in a way that looks deliberately offensive but act annoying, weird, etc. in ways like the type of people others normally choose to avoid without conflict. For example, if you were to argue out loud with yourself and occasionally throw punches at the pugnacious, invisible land octopuses & lobsters people who see you acting that way may want to avoid you (at least if it doesn't backfire to cause them to want a hit of whatever they think you're on).
Did you miss the bit about the meth? If they're trying to avoid conflict, they're obviously not heavy meth users. Any tweaker will JUMP at the chance to get into a conflict, especially with a crazy dude.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Give reverse psychology a try. Act obnoxious, weird, nosy and whatever other way you can think of that might make them want to avoid you & your boyfriend.
The neighbors want more interaction, and this would give them exactly what they want. These meths neighbors will pay even more attention to them because now a show is being put on for them. That's why they hang around outside, because they are looking to be entertained. It's better to put up a fence and tall trees and get on with your life than put on a theater show for them.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:23 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,069,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mally123 View Post
Ok so my boyfriend and I moved into our first home in March of this year. We have neighbors on both sides and we adore the ones on our right but the ones on our left are so obnoxious. They watch everything we do and are extremely rude. We live in a brick house and can hear them yelling when we are inside. We were doing yard work the other day and my boyfriends dad came over to help because my boyfriend had just had surgery and he couldn't do a lot but we were having some issues that could not be put off. Well being that my boyfriend couldn't do a lot the neighbor was calling him lazy and just basically putting him down. He ignored her but she would not shut up. She is always like this. We have tried being nice but they just like to start drama and talk bad about people and we try to stay away from that. She knew he had surgery but that doesn't matter. There 10 people that live in the house and they all stand at the fence and watch us regardless of whether we are in the front or the back. They just stand and watch us, except for the one that can't keep her mouth shut. We had family over a few weeks ago and we were having a bbq and they stood at the fence the entire time, telling us to give them some food. We have tried to be nice and now are ignoring them but it is so frustrating. We can't even walk our dog without them watching us. When I leave for work they are watching us. As soon as my boyfriend gets home from work they are calling him within 5 minutes of him walking in. It's really annoying and he's tried to be nice and tell them that we can't come over or are too busy to talk but they don't care. They won't leave us alone and it is quite aggravating. What should we do?
Get a taller fence-6 foot or more, with no space in between posts so that they can't look into your yard (vinyl works great). Or put trees in front of the fence. You said they are calling your husband within 5 minutes of him walking in...do you mean calling out loud or on the phone? If over the phone, block their number. If out loud...ignore them. They sound like total trash. I'm sorry you have to deal with them. If they bug you while you're outside, wear head phones (while doing yard work, etc) and again ignore them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships