Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 04:45 AM

17 posts, read 26,172 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I nee your opinion.
I live in another continent than my parents and only come home twice a year.
I'm planning to visit them very soon, all flights are very expensive except of one- I would arrive at another airport though and at 10.30pm in the night. The airport is an hour by car from my parents house.
At that time I won`t be able to go by train or so because public transport stops at 10.30pm so I would#t be able to make it. My parents live in a village so without a car it#s basically reallz difficult to get there, especially at night.
Well, I asked my parents if they can pick me up at that airport at 10.30pm... so we would be home at 11.30 or maybe midnight. My parents have to work the next day, but I mean I?m just coming twice a year and usually they never have to pick me up because I always found a flight to the airport from where I can take a train (which is also closer to my parents).

What do you think? I find it really not nice at all that they definitely dont wanna pick me up although Im flying 11h just to see them. only because they don't wanna go that far at 10.30 (1h drive). My mother of course says that my expectations are crazy. Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 05:01 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times
You didn't mention their age, country...health, if they have a decent car...could you
have landed at a better hour on a different day? So they could feel you're being
inconsiderate? I dunno, Guessing here.
Just all part of the story to get a better picture.

Yes, it is very nice you are visiting them...hmm, other questions...do you always
pay for your own ticket? Are they unhappy you moved away? Do they approve or
disapprove of anything in your life....so that they could have chip on their shoulder and
are just acting out?

I told my sister I won't pick her up an hr and a half away when she can fly into "our" airport.
She now gets why ...traffic, sudden mountain snow storms in MAY!
Tho I will give her half for her ticket. We take turns visiting. She gives me half also.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:29 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,716,485 times
When I lived overseas I came back to the US 4-5 times a year. The intl airport is almost 2 hours away from my US home. I simply ordered a car service to pick me up from the airport each time.

You have to remember that a 1 hour trip for you to get home is a 2-3 hour round trip for them. Be an adult and arrange your own transportation.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:31 AM

830 posts, read 1,665,874 times
Like Miss Hepburn said, it would be nice to know a few more details.

Can you get a taxi to take you to your parents' house? It's an extra expense, I know, but you might have to do it.

Is this something you told them a while ago or only a few days ago?

Honestly I have been in a situation like yours and I agree with you more. I understand the inconvenience but you only come over twice a year, not twice a month. It makes you wonder if they want to see you as much as you want to see them. Did they say having to get up for work was the reason they won't pick you up or is it something else?

Old 04-02-2014, 06:32 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,391,230 times
If it's too much hassle for all involved, maybe you should just cancel your trip.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:10 AM

24,481 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Just get a cheap rental or have a friend pick you up. You come in at 10:30 IF everything goes according to schedule, immigration, baggage, get their car, an hour home. So at best they will get to bed at 2:00 am.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:09 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,755,535 times
Just have a car service take you to them. They may not see as well at night as they used to, they may not feel comfortable driving to an airport they are not familiar with at night, may not know the roads, etc.
As previous poster said,it's going to take a lot longer than hour to get you home from the time your plane lands and they to be at work the next day. Either pay extra for a car service, or change your plans and arrive at a different time at a different airport.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:16 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
How old are they? Can they see well at night? What are the roads like?

They may be really uncomfortable driving at night.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:24 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,312 times
How about staying at a hotel close to the airport the night you arrive and making driving arrangements for the next morning? It is not likely that there will be much visiting that late at night anyway.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:26 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
Why not stay at a hotel near the airport overnight and have them pick you up the next day after everybody has had a good night's sleep? I suspect you'll need it after your long flight. Then you'll be re-energized and ready for a great visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships