Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 09:59 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,834,730 times

Advertisements

Is there are a car rental service near the airport and close to your parent's house? It may be cheaper to rent a car for a day than to take a taxi. You could rent the car, drive to your parent's house, and the next morning, drop the car off at at the nearby rental place.

Or, you could look into the cost of staying at a hotel that night, and taking the train the next morning. You may prefer staying in a hotel anyhow, since you just flew 11 hours.

Is the cost ultimately that much less to fly into an airport an hour away? If you're only saving $100-$150, then it's probably not worth the savings to fly in an hour away. Is there another flight that will land earlier in the day and is only $75 more, or so? That way you could take the train before it stops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 10:03 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,155,096 times
Are they elderly or disabled in some way? There isn't a close airport close to where my parents live, so when I lived across the country, my parents always drove two hours to get me and bring me home. And they drove me back to the airport as well. I offered to get a rental car, but they always refused. I would think your parents would be happy to see you that they wouldn't mind picking you up. Two hours total isn't that far, geez.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:09 AM

6,321 posts, read 4,367,751 times
I say cancel your trip.

You are their CHILD for crying out loud.

They should be willing to do handsprings to see you - especially if you only come home once or twice a year.

Your arrival should be an event, almost a celebration.

Sure, there may be extenuating circumstances we're not aware of, but without knowing them, I would say that they aren't all that excited about you coming to visit them. As if your presence will be a major disruption to their daily routine.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:21 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,984,883 times
I don't know your exact situation, as others stated more details would be helpful. But I think I'm more inclined to agree with you that they are being unreasonable. This is based on having first hand experience with a situation exactly similar to yours.

First of all, lets just look at one factor: Safety. Why would they be ok with a woman taking public transportation in the middle of the night?

Here's my situation: My sister stays at my house when she has a break at her school. This is 3 times a year. In order to save money she books flights that are cheaper but they come at irregular times. She comes by one of two airports based on which one is cheaper. One is one hour and 20 minutes away and the other is 50 minutes away.

I have picked/dropped her off: At 10:30 PM, 2:30 AM, 5:50 AM, etc. I have even done this after working all night and even in the middle of the night while I was at work. In fact her arrival and departure for the latest break will be 11:30 PM and 4:30 AM.

However, she always pays me for the gas and always lets me know 1-2 months in advance so I can plan ahead.

Now if your situation is similar to the above and your parents are refusing to pick you up; I think your not overreacting by complaining about it.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:44 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,870,670 times
Get a car service.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:47 AM

13,982 posts, read 26,102,518 times
Still no followup from the OP, but my mother won't even drive 20 minutes to the airport after dark now. She isn't comfortable doing so, and given her age, it's completely understandable. I know she would if she could, at one point I booked the wrong airport in error, and my parents drove 4 hours one way to get me, and then took me back after the visit.

If your parents have always picked you up in the past, I would chalk it up to advancing age and difficulty seeing at night.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:38 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,633,955 times
Have they also stopped peeling grapes for you and tucking you in?

Honestly.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:40 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,633,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Still no followup from the OP, but my mother won't even drive 20 minutes to the airport after dark now. She isn't comfortable doing so, and given her age, it's completely understandable. I know she would if she could, at one point I booked the wrong airport in error, and my parents drove 4 hours one way to get me, and then took me back after the visit.

If your parents have always picked you up in the past, I would chalk it up to advancing age and difficulty seeing at night.

Yea -as one ages, night vision degrades more quickly than daytime vision does.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:05 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,536,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I say cancel your trip.

You are their CHILD for crying out loud.

They should be willing to do handsprings to see you - especially if you only come home once or twice a year.

Your arrival should be an event, almost a celebration.

Sure, there may be extenuating circumstances we're not aware of, but without knowing them, I would say that they aren't all that excited about you coming to visit them. As if your presence will be a major disruption to their daily routine.
I agree with this completely. It's sad, but it seems they don't want to see him/her.

OP, I think you need to have a talk with your parents about your relationship before going.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:47 PM

13,982 posts, read 26,102,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I agree with this completely. It's sad, but it seems they don't want to see him/her.

OP, I think you need to have a talk with your parents about your relationship before going.
Oh please, this is not the issue. No parent wants a kid who comes home as a "favor" to them. Stop in at your local senior center, and survey how many are comfortable driving anywhere at night. I guarantee you, it will be a minority, if there are any positive responses at all.

The OP is an adult, he/she can figure it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships