Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 12:07 PM

35,097 posts, read 31,339,345 times

Advertisements

I like to strike up random conversations with strangers when I'm out in public places. I go to a lot of bars, coffee shops, and shows and talk to people. I get a wide range of responses, from people clearly uninterested in conversation and others I seem to hit it off with.

Do you enjoy talking to strangers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 12:15 PM

22,603 posts, read 47,707,443 times
"Do you talk to people in bars, coffee shops, or other public places?"

All the time!

Old 02-25-2014, 12:28 PM

16,102 posts, read 10,766,542 times
I meet the most interesting people. Inventors, race car drivers, old war veterans, screen writers, film documentary industry folks....I wish I had a tape recorder sometimes. I've always been open for conversation but more so now that I'm retired. Yesterday I met a lady that holds the USA 5K track record for her age group...I won't reveal her age, but she didn't look it.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:35 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,317,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I like to strike up random conversations with strangers when I'm out in public places. I go to a lot of bars, coffee shops, and shows and talk to people. I get a wide range of responses, from people clearly uninterested in conversation and others I seem to hit it off with.

We seem to attract people and animals. I guess we are irresistable, and look like folks others want to know.

We get a lot of invitations too. Sometimes it's great, and sometimes it's not.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:44 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times
Yes, if the cues are there.

Having conversations with a perfectly willing stranger is more than just a pleasant way to while away the time. It's almost a moment of grace in world where self-absorption has become the prevailing motive.

To me, the most rewarding conversation I had with a stranger came when I was on a long flight out to the west coast. I was on the aisle and a frail, elderly woman came down the aisle and indicated she was my seat mate. I helped with her bag and we waited for the plane to take off.

At first, I was reading over a speech I was going to give, but then asked the obligatory questions about what her plans would be in L.A. As it turned out, it was her very first plane ride ever. She was from Mississippi and was flying to the coast to meet her granddaughter, who promised her a tour of Hollywood and all the other attractions the city had to offer. And then I learned more about her.

She had gone out to Japan in her early 20s because her father was a general in the occupation, and she told me amazing stories about postwar Japan. She told me about coming home to marry her high school sweetheart and starting a chicken farm. She told me how she drove civil rights workers around at night during those terrible days in the early 60s, having them hide in the trunk of her car. She told me what farm people name the various cloud formations. Because of her, I use the term Buttermilk Sky ever since. She had known Eudora Welty and James Faulkner. And when we arrived in LA, she insisted I meet her son-in-law, introducing me as the "very nice man who listened to my boring stories all the way out here." I corrected her and said I wasn't bored at all.

Here's the thing. All people are interesting. Every single person. Both from their life experiences and what makes them tick. As someone once said, all people have their own private struggles and need the world to support them. To simply hurry past them because you can't be bothered is to rely deny yourself a deeper, richer, and more empathetic existence.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:51 PM

18,478 posts, read 31,656,752 times
no, I do what o have to do and go. I am usually pre-occupied with my thoughts and what I have to do next, and unfortunetely I am not interested in anyone.
I do not go to bars, ever, I hate them.
I do not make small conversation with people waiting on line or walking in the street

My partner however, talks to everyone and everyone talks to him.....

Old 02-25-2014, 12:53 PM

102,225 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post

Where I come from, this is normal (San Francisco Bay Area). People are friendly, neighborly. I had a hard time living in Seattle, where this type of friendliness doesn't seem to be accepted. People who aren't into this are missing out on some real day-brighteners, though. You can run into some real characters, if you're open to it.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:10 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,317,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Yes, if the cues are there.

Having conversations with a perfectly willing stranger is more than just a pleasant way to while away the time. It's almost a moment of grace in world where self-absorption has become the prevailing motive.

To me, the most rewarding conversation I had with a stranger came when I was on a long flight out to the west coast. I was on the aisle and a frail, elderly woman came down the aisle and indicated she was my seat mate. I helped with her bag and we waited for the plane to take off.

At first, I was reading over a speech I was going to give, but then asked the obligatory questions about what her plans would be in L.A. As it turned out, it was her very first plane ride ever. She was from Mississippi and was flying to the coast to meet her granddaughter, who promised her a tour of Hollywood and all the other attractions the city had to offer. And then I learned more about her.

She had gone out to Japan in her early 20s because her father was a general in the occupation, and she told me amazing stories about postwar Japan. She told me about coming home to marry her high school sweetheart and starting a chicken farm. She told me how she drove civil rights workers around at night during those terrible days in the early 60s, having them hide in the trunk of her car. She told me what farm people name the various cloud formations. Because of her, I use the term Buttermilk Sky ever since. She had known Eudora Welty and James Faulkner. And when we arrived in LA, she insisted I meet her son-in-law, introducing me as the "very nice man who listened to my boring stories all the way out here." I corrected her and said I wasn't bored at all.

Here's the thing. All people are interesting. Every single person. Both from their life experiences and what makes them tick. As someone once said, all people have their own private struggles and need the world to support them. To simply hurry past them because you can't be bothered is to rely deny yourself a deeper, richer, and more empathetic existence.
Great story!

It makes me think of the wonderful homeless vets and people who may be rough in speech, but have great stories to tell!

Unfortunately, the response of the majority is to stick their big arrogant schnozzes in the air in disdain and walk away.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:52 PM

313 posts, read 497,266 times
I LOVE talking to strangers! Here in the Bay Area, it's widely accepted to strike up conversations with strangers which is why I fit in so well. I can't even say how many times in my travels I've been saved by my friendliness. People are pretty amazing when you give them a chance.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:55 PM

102,225 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krawhitham View Post
I LOVE talking to strangers! Here in the Bay Area, it's widely accepted to strike up conversations with strangers which is why I fit in so well.
YESSS! I suffered some culture shock when I left the Bay Area, and discovered that in a lot of other places, people don't do that! I don't understand it. LOVE the Bay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships