Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 09:23 AM

42 posts, read 69,292 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I do have a bit unusual situation. My ex wife and I got married 5 years ago and decided to go separate ways just weeks after signing marriage papers. The legal representative that I hired to handle my divorce, did pretty much nothing but lied that everything is much done ( trusted him, I even signed fake documents). Now, I am getting married and a months before bedding I am finding out that im still legally married. in the meantime crooked lawyer passed away and there is no one to blame or recover my $2000 back.
I was able to contact my ex and she agrees to sign anything needed to finalize divorce. We are not dividing anything, no kids, never claimed each other on taxes... So divorce should be very straight forward and simple. I called few lawyers and their charges going form $2,000 up to 5,000. I had an idea to fill the form my self and process personally... Unfortunately, have no experience or anyone who can give me any ideas what to do.

Is there anyone who did this or went to similar simple divorce. I am not in the situation to spend $xxxx. What would be cheapest option to get divorced having in mind that we are not sharing or dividing anything and there is no kids involved.

Thank you so much !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 09:35 AM

11,790 posts, read 12,025,773 times
You really don't have good luck with real estate agents, mortgage brokers, or lawyers, do you.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:38 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,812,088 times
Perhaps a paralegal?

Old 02-24-2014, 09:41 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 900rr View Post
Hi everyone,
I do have a bit unusual situation. My ex wife and I got married 5 years ago and decided to go separate ways just weeks after signing marriage papers. The legal representative that I hired to handle my divorce, did pretty much nothing but lied that everything is much done ( trusted him, I even signed fake documents). Now, I am getting married and a months before bedding I am finding out that im still legally married. in the meantime crooked lawyer passed away and there is no one to blame or recover my $2000 back.
I was able to contact my ex and she agrees to sign anything needed to finalize divorce. We are not dividing anything, no kids, never claimed each other on taxes... So divorce should be very straight forward and simple. I called few lawyers and their charges going form $2,000 up to 5,000. I had an idea to fill the form my self and process personally... Unfortunately, have no experience or anyone who can give me any ideas what to do.

Is there anyone who did this or went to similar simple divorce. I am not in the situation to spend $xxxx. What would be cheapest option to get divorced having in mind that we are not sharing or dividing anything and there is no kids involved.

In Illinois it is called a "No Fault" divorce.

In Illinois it is called a "No Fault" Divorce.

Thank you so much !

You and your ex wife need to go to the courthouse and tell them this story.
Depending on the state you live in you may be able to get a no fault divorce, file everything yourself with minimal cost and get the divorce legally done in a timely manner.

Again, it depends on what state you are in and what the requirements are.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You and your ex wife need to go to the courthouse and tell them this story.
Depending on the state you live in you may be able to get a no fault divorce, file everything yourself with minimal cost and get the divorce legally done in a timely manner.

Again, it depends on what state you are in and what the requirements are.

It's Florida. she is in NY now

Old 02-24-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
You really don't have good luck with real estate agents, mortgage brokers, or lawyers, do you.

Nope... it's been a crazy year

Old 02-24-2014, 01:28 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
I can't figure out how it was less work for your former attorney to draw up and have you sign "fake" papers than it would have been for you to sign "real" papers. I mean, papers is papers...LOL

Is your ex wife ever planning on remarrying? It's mutually beneficial for both of you to be legally divorced. You should split the costs.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:34 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,197,953 times
Plenty of do-it-yourself divorce forms online. I don't know what the law in Florida is, but in Virginia, I needed only a property settlement agreement, which cost about $1,200 for an attorney to put it in legalese. After that, I fired her, got a form online for $70, and did the rest myself.

No matter what, you will have to spend some money on this. You will need to talk to an attorney no matter what, because you will need to find out what the law is in your state regarding waiting times, and required paperwork. Sorry, but that's just how it is.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:12 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,769,150 times
Who would ever know if you married again without the benefit of a "legal" divorce.

If your ex thought you were divorced, and no one was the wiser, you could have just gotten "married" again.
And who really knows how many polygamists and "fake-married" people are out there? Probably hundred of thousands.

Easy peasy, yeah?

Old 02-24-2014, 02:30 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,072,055 times
More than likely when he went to get a marriage license for his new marriage, they did some type of search and determined he was already married and had never been divorced.

To the OP, it will depend on your state. I'd contact your family court and see if they have some type of "legal self help" center. In NV they have a place where they will help you fill in all the forms yourself. They provide everything for free and you just have to pay the filing fee, which is a few hundred dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
Who would ever know if you married again without the benefit of a "legal" divorce.

If your ex thought you were divorced, and no one was the wiser, you could have just gotten "married" again.
And who really knows how many polygamists and "fake-married" people are out there? Probably hundred of thousands.

Easy peasy, yeah?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships