Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 03:53 PM

3,383 posts, read 6,649,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Like the negative effects the Beatles had on society?
Since you went there....

The Beatles produced the White Album, which on it was the "iconic" song Helter Skelter, which in a drug filled stupor Charles Manson believed it spoke to him to help bring about the "great race war", which is one reason why the Manson family went on their killing spree.

Just sayin'.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Kids aren't being raised BY technology, they are being raised WITH technology. And, that isn't a terrible thing.
Maybe where you're from. Here, I have seen a group of kids eating fast food, and they are all texting while eating and hanging out, and the thing is they are texting to EACH OTHER! That's an issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
So people not wanting to talk to you is a symptom of a generational problem.
People unable to talk to ANYONE properly is an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchan View Post
Besides, why would you read while you go camping? You're supposed to enjoy the great outdoors.
There ARE books about the great outdoors ya know, not to mention; it's not like it's the best idea to explore at night in an unfamiliar area in the wild. Best to stay close to camp and occupy your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 04:08 PM

16,824 posts, read 17,817,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Judge and jury here?
OP posted something that seems to be a genuine concern to her. It is not to you. Is there a reason for an educator to lash out at someone who has an opinion not necessarily aligned with the own? Bad hair day?
Hyperbole can be used to show people who ridiculously hypocritical their claims are. And the OPs claims are hypocritical in the extreme. Who is she to be the arbitrator of all things digital?

And what does my position as a teacher have to do with anything in this thread?

Old 02-24-2014, 04:09 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,275,736 times
Well really we should just ban America, you're the ones who brought us Charles Manson and Apple.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:14 PM

Uh, did you read it? A p of 0.02 is NOT statistically significant at the medical threshold. Additionally even the authors say

"The implications are that exercise may influence lung function, but these findings need to be confirmed using a longitudinal study design."

And lets be clear you said "If kids don't get out and expand their lung capacity while they still have cartilege, they will end up with smaller rib cages and they won't be able to undo that damage later on."

Smaller rib cages is not remotely the same thing as having reduced lung function. Same issue with the second study. Says nothing about the size of rib cages. So once more, do you have anything that says that kids who don't get out will have smaller rib cages?

Quote:
Those are a couple -- now do you have sources to back up resistance to the first printing presses?
First, those did not remotely support your claim. Second, read carefully, I never said anything about a printing press.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchan View Post
mm...I would say the same thing for a book. Not many kids will actually hold onto a book for dear life these days, and while I agree that reading is good for academic development, interaction with others is equally if not more important. Quite honestly the average kid will turn out to be alright in terms of academics if the proper resources are given to them at school anyway. But you can't teach EQ. It's required for everything - at school, and in the workforce. Besides, why would you read while you go camping? You're supposed to enjoy the great outdoors.

I certainly wouldn't want my kid holding onto a book all the time. There is a time for learning, and there is a time just to live life. I like reading too to expand my knowledge but there is a time and place for that.
Who are you to say when that time and place is? And who are you to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't be doing while camping?

To be clear, my daughter had gone hiking, surfing, and spent hours spying on the ponies. She had been outside, as she is most of everyday, if she chooses to read for an hour before going to bed, even while camping that is a perfectly valid use of her time.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Experiment_2014 View Post
Great point

I vividly hate this "But my parents thought Elvis Pressley would ruin society" analogy. Utter crap

My sisters moved to Europe to have children, I will be doing the same. Last thing I want is my child glorying individuals like Jay Z and Tiger Woods.

Western culture is a rotting disease.
Right because One direction and the Daily mail are soooo much better.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:31 PM

13,982 posts, read 26,062,940 times
Here is the other side:
New book: Internet safer for teens than parents may think | Momania: A Blog for Busy Moms

Time to stop clutching those pearls people, and adapt.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:37 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,558,059 times
Frankly, with some of what I read right here on C-D, I'm more concerned with our current crop of adults than "kids today"....

Old 02-24-2014, 05:24 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,979,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Frankly, with some of what I read right here on C-D, I'm more concerned with our current crop of adults than "kids today"....
You and me both.......

Seriously. Criticizing for reading a book while camping. What next......

I notice most who are so critical of "kids these days" don't have them and get all their expertise from the internet, sensationalized news stories, etc. Those of us around them all the time don't know what we are talking about.

I'm amazed at some of the kids these days frankly. There are some pretty great ones out there.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:05 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,180,370 times
As a teen myself, I can understand that the path my generation is headed doesn't seem too bright. However, I'd say it's all for the better-the people who are doing dumb things now will have Darwinism get to them, or they will just live unfulfilled, empty lives, while the truly talented and dedicated individuals will excel beyond their wildest dreams. This isn't the America where you can be complacent with a small suburban home and a factory job anymore; this country is becoming a do-or-die nation. And that's ok with me, because it means the rotten ones either shape up or ship out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships