Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 08:24 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,403,310 times

Advertisements

I notice that teens and even people in their 20s are really judgemental, and love to mock people, call them names.etc. I think a lot of them get off on being really self-righteous. They also seem pretty angry, preachy - especially when it comes to labelling people. This can come from any direction. Whether it be homophobic, racist, or even against religion. Have people always been like this? Is it more the young or are older people just better at hiding it?

Facebook and other social media like twitter, youtube.etc just makes the rest of humanity seem so alien. They're so emotional, subjective, full of hatred. Sometimes I honestly think people are worse than I imagine. I'm far from that PC yet I find the casual use of the word '******' kind of disturbing. I have a friend who was called a '******' and 'homo' both by girls, mind you (not to say anything that girls are just as bad as the boys). I also recall an innocent where this young girl, maybe about 20, said, 'hurry up you f*cking fatty' to the server at McDonald's for taking so longer. In fact I've witnessed some ugly behaviour.

Not to mention I see a lot of latent hate coming out in racial, homophobic and other epithets. Sadly, it seems we're not really morally evolving as a species much, despite the technology. It just reveals how ugly we can be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 08:35 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,520,114 times
I have noticed it as well. I have noticed kids talking back to their parents quite a bit also. My kids never did that, and I don't think they ever would. They were raised to have respect for people and to treat them as they would like to be treated.

My son opens doors for women, and they both say thank you and yes ma'am, no sir, etc.

My sisters daughter talks back terribly and just is out right mean in the things she says to her mom sometimes, and she gets what she wants!

She tried that with me one time and then wanted me to do something for her, take her someplace. I put her right in her place.

No. There is no way she was going to talk to me that way and think I was going to reward her for it.

From then on, she has never done that to me, and has shown me respect, as I do her. I would do anything in the world for the child, and I love her to pieces, but I will not reward her or any child or person for bad behavior.

She continues to talk that way towards her parents, however.

I don't know what has gotten it to todays youth.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:45 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,429,213 times
Yes. The difference is that you were once the mocker and you are now the mockee.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:53 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,903,918 times
Agree, it has always been thus. Difference is that kids today have a bigger, more public megaphone in the form of social media.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:58 AM

But I was not that way as a young person..... I treated people with respect. Oh I mouthed off at my parents every once in a while, but nothing like I see these days....

Old 09-28-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I have noticed it as well. I have noticed kids talking back to their parents quite a bit also. My kids never did that, and I don't think they ever would. They were raised to have respect for people and to treat them as they would like to be treated.

My son opens doors for women, and they both say thank you and yes ma'am, no sir, etc.

My sisters daughter talks back terribly and just is out right mean in the things she says to her mom sometimes, and she gets what she wants!

She tried that with me one time and then wanted me to do something for her, take her someplace. I put her right in her place.

No. There is no way she was going to talk to me that way and think I was going to reward her for it.

From then on, she has never done that to me, and has shown me respect, as I do her. I would do anything in the world for the child, and I love her to pieces, but I will not reward her or any child or person for bad behavior.

She continues to talk that way towards her parents, however.

I don't know what has gotten it to todays youth.
I do wonder about kids these days. My niece has already learned to call people nasty names when she doesn't get her way. She also often throws tantrums. She's 4, so maybe there's still hope, lol.

But yeah, some parents let their kids get away with too much. A lot of totally entitled kids out there with no respect.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Yes. The difference is that you were once the mocker and you are now the mockee.
Even as a teen I was never like that. Well very rarely. It's just not in my nature to go out of my way to make people feel bad. Yet people do it so easily. I hear about cyber-bullying and just shake my head.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:32 AM

Entitlement.

Everyone thinks they have it.

I don't think I am entitled to anything. In life, things are earned. Maybe I am wrong. I do think I am entitled to proper treatment from people. I wouldn't treat them in any other way.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:29 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,632,040 times
Because there is no such thing as discipline and respecting and fearing your parents anymore.

We feared our parents, respected our elders, and were spanked if we misbehaved.

Now parents think spanking ruins the child's psyche, won't discipline the kid, and as a result, the kid never learns the things we did. Parents are too busy trying to be their kids friends instead of their parents. So now the kids do whatever they want and say whatever they want because they are not being censored, at least not at home anyway. Too many people are afraid it will damage the child to restrict them, to have them learn actual life lessons.

Or maybe I'm just old. But I do know none of my nieces or nephews act like this.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:32 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,579,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I notice that teens and even people in their 20s are really judgemental, and love to mock people, call them names.etc. I think a lot of them get off on being really self-righteous. They also seem pretty angry, preachy - especially when it comes to labelling people. This can come from any direction. Whether it be homophobic, racist, or even against religion. Have people always been like this? Is it more the young or are older people just better at hiding it?

Facebook and other social media like twitter, youtube.etc just makes the rest of humanity seem so alien. They're so emotional, subjective, full of hatred. Sometimes I honestly think people are worse than I imagine. I'm far from that PC yet I find the casual use of the word '******' kind of disturbing. I have a friend who was called a '******' and 'homo' both by girls, mind you (not to say anything that girls are just as bad as the boys). I also recall an innocent where this young girl, maybe about 20, said, 'hurry up you f*cking fatty' to the server at McDonald's for taking so longer. In fact I've witnessed some ugly behaviour.

Not to mention I see a lot of latent hate coming out in racial, homophobic and other epithets. Sadly, it seems we're not really morally evolving as a species much, despite the technology. It just reveals how ugly we can be.

I think every generation has had their own form of mocking and rebellious behavior however, in my childhood years it was kept between the teens involved and never, ever done while around adults. We would have had our faces slapped off by whichever adult was the closest for behaving that way and being so disrespectful to our elders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships