Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 03:47 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,798,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Really? People you barely knew were suddenly asking you for jobs and you claim to have no idea they weren't just being friendly to you for the hell of it?

This is story is nonsensical.
Yes, I knew these people and I admit I was naïve. They just became so friendly and familiar when they found that I was NOW in a position to help them. I did not expect them to be friends with me after I helped but at least show me courtesy after they got the job. But after I got them the job they went cold on me and would not even say hello when I saw them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 05:18 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,747,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
At one time I was responsible for staffing a huge government contract, which offered lots of very high paying job...

I was too naïve at that time to realize that they did not like me but instead liked what I could do for them.
In a post today you said that this position you held where you were responsible for staffing a "huge government contract" was just a couple of years ago. Likely one of the positions from which you were fired, to now say that, "I was too naive at that time" and "pretty women would flirt with me" seems disingenuous if not yet another flight of fancy.

There is no prerequisite for you to be friends with someone in order to help them find a job, as there's none for someone to befriend you in turn when seeking a professional favor. I've helped many, many people who weren't my "friends" find jobs over many years. I've steered them to jobs because I knew they were good candidates - and others have done the same for me.

Based on the content of the multitude of threads you've created you seem not to have ever been "naive" in context, just extremely self-centered generally and thus incapable of picking up on the nuances of basic human nature.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:29 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,514,556 times
I have learned No good deed goes unpunished.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:38 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,848,167 times
It's rare that you find someone with real integrity in the workplace. You might find people who think they have it, but they actually don't.

Of course these people sucked up to you when they knew you had the power to pull strings - it's like the rich kid in school who has a ton of friends, but isn't confident that any of them really like him for HIM, but rather for what he can get them.

Sad but true fact: Most people are greedy little sh*ts who think the answer to all their troubles lies in "the next best thing".

Old 02-23-2014, 12:13 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,544,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
It's rare that you find someone with real integrity in the workplace. You might find people who think they have it, but they actually don't.

Of course these people sucked up to you when they knew you had the power to pull strings - it's like the rich kid in school who has a ton of friends, but isn't confident that any of them really like him for HIM, but rather for what he can get them.

Sad but true fact: Most people are greedy little sh*ts who think the answer to all their troubles lies in "the next best thing".

So true. I have worked in the same place for 20 years and I can count on one hand how many people I have worked with who had true integrity. I strive to have integrity by not using people, not throwing people under the bus, not spreading malicious gossip about people, and you know what? People know they can trust me, and they respect me.

You get what you give. I"m not saying people necessarily like me, they just respect me because they know I won't screw them over. You want people to treat you well, then treat them well. And my number one rule is this: Don't let other people dictate your behavior. You cannot control what others will do, but you can control how you will react to it.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:10 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,752,495 times
Quote:
But after I got them the job they went cold on me and would not even say hello when I saw them.
Why do you think so many people dislike you so much? What is the common denominator?

Old 02-23-2014, 01:30 PM

24,633 posts, read 10,958,690 times
Quote:
Back when I was a business executive for a very large employer that lots of people wanted to work in, I was used a lot by "so called friends," relatives, neighbors and coworkers. I had lots of authority and clout in the hiring process. At one time I was responsible for staffing a huge government contract, which offered lots of very high paying job.

As soon as the word got out that I was in a position to help people get a job and move ahead in their career lots of people I knew who previously did not give me the time of day acted like we were best friends and they did what they could to get on my good side. Pretty women would flirt with me, men would act all buddy buddy, and I got lots of attention.

I was too naïve at that time to realize that they did not like me but instead liked what I could do for them.

Have you been used often by people, tell us your stories!
Maybe that is why your neighbors do not chat at the mailbox with you.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:57 PM

120 posts, read 212,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post

Right on.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:37 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,849,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
So true. I have worked in the same place for 20 years and I can count on one hand how many people I have worked with who had true integrity.
I just go in, do my job, and leave at the end of the day. I don't trust any of my co-workers. In fact, the more friendly they are towards me, the more wary I am of them. Oh, I'm fake friendly back to them so I won't make an enemy, but I definitely watch what I say.

Never ever have a BFF at work who you feel you can tell anything to. At my last job, I had one who was buddy buddy with me, and she started passing on some things I said to a higher up and I got laid off not too long afterwards. A lot of people will befriend you in the work place so you will let your guard down, and then knife you in the back.

Trust no one.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:08 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,798,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Why do you think so many people dislike you so much? What is the common denominator?
Because I look like a nerd and see the world differently than most people. People are afraid of people that are different and while they may tolerate me and act friendly if I can help them, but once "I serve my purpose" they can cut me off and know there is nothing I can do about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships