Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 05:00 PM

550 posts, read 969,447 times

Advertisements

I had a great class in HS (1993) and still stay in touch with quite a few people from there, including those who were in different grades. I credit much of it to how grounded the kids were...maybe shows how good their parents raised them.

College (1997) was loads of fun and I stay in touch with many friends from there as well.

As a result, I always look forward to my reunions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 05:26 PM

255 posts, read 408,596 times
I only keep up with one or two of them, the rest of them I really don't give a damn about. More than likely the class reunion will be coming up this year since I left High School in 2004 but I won't be going. I don't really care what's happened to most of them. I was supposed to have a grade 8 reunion in 2010 but I didn't go to that one either.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:30 PM

9,328 posts, read 6,463,824 times
I graduated from high school in the early 1990s. I attended college with two former classmates my first year but I switched to a different school the second year. From that point on I have had no contact with anyone from high school.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:36 PM

45,624 posts, read 61,049,926 times
Time has a way of smoothing out the pains of high school.

I went to my 40th last year and it was ok, hadn't seen many of them for 40 years. Life has a way of knocking people around and the ones you didn't care for then aren't so intolerable now.

Then again, I really never gave a **** what anyone thought of me so nearing 60 I care even less.

What was depressing for me was the number of people who were scrambling for $9/hour jobs in their late 50's. The economy went south in the 1980's and never came back there and some people didn't go South to find jobs as I, and many others, did.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:32 PM

719 posts, read 1,065,314 times
Wow seems this thread really hit a nerve! I didn't expect so many responses. So most of us here didn't care much for high school .I think one thing that affected who kept up with who after high school was the make up of the area I live in in Upstate South Carolina. This area was much more rural at one time and now it has more of a suburban feel. Consequently there is a divide between the locals and those who have moved in over the last 20 years. I think most of my classmates liked it here better when this area had more of that small town , evervbody knows everybody else, big fish in a small pond feel to it. Now that so many people have moved in here from all over the country all that is pretty much irrelevant now. Long before high school was over I was looking to get away from all that small town social politics and now that I live in this area again I am glad it changed and became more diverse.Having worked in different cities on the East Coast I find it easier to relate to newcomers than those I went to high school with. Just from the time I spent with them at our 20th reunion I could tell they had more invested emotionally in the way this area used to be than I did.

I guess for me like others have mentioned here going to college was the big game changer . Even though the university I went to was not all that far from my high school there might as well have been a million miles between them. It was two totally different universes. I met students from all over the country. The professors encouraged free thought. The first girl I dated there was from Philadelphia. I got an internship there to work in Washington DC . I met students from many universities while working in DC and while hanging out in DC and Alexandria after work. At my 20th high school reunion I made conversation but it was strained . I think I was basically a stranger to them so I didn't feel comfortable talking about things I had done and they didn't tell me much about what they had done with their lives. It was just superficial conversation. I know others have had good experiences at their high school reunions but for me personally I don't think things would change much at any future reunion. There has been too much water under the bridge and I don't care for all that looking backwards at the way things "used to be". It's not that this area is urban now so much as that its more Starbucks, pizza delivery and bagels than it was in the past .lol and to me that's a good thing.

Last edited by senecaman; 02-11-2014 at 08:39 PM..

Old 02-11-2014, 09:41 PM

17,728 posts, read 15,496,971 times
I graduated in '91 from a high school in NoVA.. There were over 500 people in my graduating class.

I keep in touch with one. And not that often.

I missed both the 10 and 20 year reunions.. Not for not wanting to go, but, just because life gets in the way.

I wish I had been able to go, even though I wouldn't have known 90% of the people there. We did start a facebook page from our class, and there's a good 100 people on it.. That has been more fun than anything for me. We all talked about favorite teachers, where they are now and what they're doing.. The fact that they've named a 'resource area' after one of the teachers who passed away. Only one teacher that I had in high school is still there, and that's the drama teacher.. And, if you know NoVA schools, you probably know what school i'm talking about and the drama teacher.

The other reason i'd want to go is that I was the fat kid in high school.. Now, I'm not fat and they are.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:23 PM

11 posts, read 10,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley868 View Post
I only keep up with one or two of them, the rest of them I really don't give a damn about. More than likely the class reunion will be coming up this year since I left High School in 2004 but I won't be going. I don't really care what's happened to most of them. I was supposed to have a grade 8 reunion in 2010 but I didn't go to that one either.
I've noticed that in more recent years, less and less people are going to reunions.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:25 PM

45,624 posts, read 61,049,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitoAlaska View Post
I've noticed that in more recent years, less and less people are going to reunions.
Well yeah, they're dying off. The one I mentioned upthread, out of 220 or so people, by the 40th roughly 25 had died by then. Within 2 or 3 months after it (end of 2012) another 3 or 4 had died. One the week after the reunion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships