Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2014, 06:39 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,230,913 times

Advertisements

My first girlfriend, that is about it. I haven't been to any reunions but will likely go to my 25th.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 06:42 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,884,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I guess some people really enjoyed HS and the people they went to school with, but I didn't. We had our 50th year class reunion last fall (I guess) but I haven't been to one of them.

About 15 years ago I considered going to one but after talking with the female classmate who was organizing it, I decided to not go. Everything she told me was too depressing, like who had died already, who was in bad health, etc. It made me feel old just listening to her, so I didn't want to go and see that for myself.

No, some things are better left in the past.

Don
Yeah, that's another thing. I can't believe how many of my former classmates are already gone and it's only been a little over ten years.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:15 AM

19,718 posts, read 16,968,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Yeah, that's another thing. I can't believe how many of my former classmates are already gone and it's only been a little over ten years.

Isn't that depressing ! When she started going down the list , as I asked her about various people I knew, she would say "Oh, he died, or she is now in very bad health, or he can't walk anymore." I looked at myself and thought how good my health is and how mobile I am, but it still made me feel old.

Someone once said that when they went to a class reunion there were all these OLD people there ! Now I understand.

Don

Old 02-11-2014, 07:19 AM

35,313 posts, read 31,715,968 times
I graduated almost ten years ago in 2004. I have maybe five to ten pretty close friends from high school that I talk to or hang out with on a semi-regular basis, and have many added to my Facebook, but don't really speak to. My closest friends in high school are still my closest friends now, but that's because we've all pretty much lived in the same town that isn't very diverse until recently when we've begun moving away for career progression. None of us are currently married or have kids - most are fairly nerdy or gay. I'd say last year was the end of the frequent hanging out and partying as the guy who hosted most of the gatherings is now dead and the rest of us have left or are in the process of leaving.

I do come from a traditional area where a lot of people marry and have kids young. I have some friends like this, and while I still speak to them and we're friendly, it's not like it was when we were younger. If I want to go catch a movie, they can't. Even meeting for lunch often results in a kid wanting attention from me. I'm diplomatic, but we're just too different now to ever be close again.

Once I wrap things up in TN over the next few weeks and move permanently, I doubt I'll see these guys again much. It's sad because we are pretty close for this many years after high school, but things change and people move on.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:27 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,939,787 times
I went to my 30th reunion this past summer, and it was well worth it. Kind of exercising some demons so to speak. I was kind of one of those middle of the road, kind of quiet, borderline athelete kind of guys. Didn't party much. Had few close friends. So I had it in my head that no one would have any clue who I was. But not so. It helped to reconnect with some ahead of time on Facebook.

So to me, it was worth it. I had a good time. If there is a mixer on Friday, that's even more fun and casual. After 30 years, people change and grow up.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:51 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,233,782 times
Everyone I wanted to keep in contact with I have. If I haven't said anything to you since he chances are I'm like totally ok with that lol

Old 02-11-2014, 08:19 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,808,613 times
I graduated almost 35 years ago and have been to one reunion, the 25th. However, I stay in pretty close contact with about 10 people I graduated with and consider them some of my best friends, even if we don't see each other as often as we'd like. I've made other friends since high school, but anytime I get together with this particular group it's very comfortable and feels like no time has passed.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:34 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,462,319 times
Facebook's enough class reunion for me.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:36 AM

4,538 posts, read 5,115,876 times
I graduated in 1960 and have not seen a single classmate since. Even when I visited my home town (which wasn't very often), I never looked any of them up. I have no desire to be in touch with any of them. I burn my bridges as I go.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:17 AM

552 posts, read 837,580 times
Life gets in the way....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships