Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 02:04 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times

Advertisements

I'll start off by saying I generally don't like or engage in gossip. But I'm not one of those self-righteous people who get all indignant about it, like I'm above it or something. My reason is that I generally don't care that much about other people's lives, to listen to or spread gossip about them. But that being said....

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of spending over an hour alone with my Mom before the rest of the family showed up for Christmas. This is unusual, as mostly when I interact with her, there are lots of distractions by others, so it's not just us one-on-one. But yesterday she spent most of the hour telling me what amounts to gossip about people I don't even know. One story was about her co-worker. Another was about a couple who are friends with my sister and brother-in-law. Another was about some acquaintance of hers.

This wasn't just "venting," which I could understand ("ugh, let me vent about this person who really bugs me..."). But it was actual gossip: someone is cheating on a husband, someone lied to someone else, someone has a mental illness that they keep a secret, someone squanders their money and is deeply in debt. Now, even if I knew these people, I probably wouldn't care about these things. But I can at least grasp, intellectually, how for people who enjoy gossip, such stories could be scintillating & stimulating when they're about a person you know. But about total strangers? What's the point?

On my long drive home afterward, I was trying to think if this was just my Mom who does this, or have I encountered it elsewhere. And I realized, that yes, I've seen this with a few other people I know (several colleagues). Most recently, a co-worker was telling me about her mother-in-law having a substance abuse issue, and her sister-in-law doing something sneaky. And I care about this why?

Have you encountered this phenomenon? What could possibly be the motivation? At least if a person is gossiping about people the listener knows, they are carrying out their gossiping agenda (which, I guess, is to be malicious and turn others against the subject by spreading something scandalous about them). But what satisfaction can one derive from gossiping about a person the listener has never met? Is it more than just talking to hear oneself talk (yes my Mom can do that too, so no need to introduce the gossip about strangers).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 02:26 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,208 times
Ive seen it and its just not something important to care about.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:38 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
It may be that she has spent her entire life engaging in these types of "observations" about everyone around her -- and it is just now that you have been in a situation where you noticed it.

My mother is the same way but I realized it when I was still very young . . . it is just how some people are. They amuse themselves with "stories" and gossip about everyone around them. And they tend to think others will find the "stories" (gossip, observations, rumors -- whatever you want to call it) interesting.

It is how their minds work . . . it is of great interest to them and they simply think everyone else is going to be enticed, too. Plus, it gives them something to talk about, which is really, really sad . . . b/c I would rather do anything than hear what is often maliciousness and speculation (and second and third hand gossip) - whether it is about someone I know or not. I just find it a terrible way to spend one's time when there are so many other uplifting things that can be the topic of conversation -- especially with a family member!

Your mom enjoys having an audience, for whatever reason . . . could be something to do with aging (if she this is actually something new) . . . but it most likely is that she just wanted to be entertaining and since that is how she is entertained (talking about others) she thought you would find it entertaining, as well.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:50 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Yeah, mom has always been very interested in the business of other people

I'm trying to compare her with the co-workers I know who do this, and yes, they all seem to be very interested in the personal lives of other people, even people they don't know. Sometimes there is malice to it, but sometimes, it just seems like a weird fascination. Probably the same people who love reality TV shows with all kinds of interpersonal drama as opposed to documentary-like reality shows.

I tend to be very empathic, and I always try to put myself into other peoples' places, and see things from their point of view, in order to understand them better. My mom and I have always been very different apart from maybe 2-3 traits, but I do at least try to understand her. I just can't see myself ever grasping why this kind of stuff seems interesting to her or others like her. If she had an empty, boring life, that would be one thing, but there's plenty about our own experiences to talk about. I just have no room in my brain to care about the scandals that strangers involve themselves in (I can barely even scratch together any concern for scandals about people I know).

Old 12-26-2013, 05:04 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Yeah, mom has always been very interested in the business of other people

I'm trying to compare her with the co-workers I know who do this, and yes, they all seem to be very interested in the personal lives of other people, even people they don't know. Sometimes there is malice to it, but sometimes, it just seems like a weird fascination. Probably the same people who love reality TV shows with all kinds of interpersonal drama as opposed to documentary-like reality shows.

I tend to be very empathic, and I always try to put myself into other peoples' places, and see things from their point of view, in order to understand them better. My mom and I have always been very different apart from maybe 2-3 traits, but I do at least try to understand her. I just can't see myself ever grasping why this kind of stuff seems interesting to her or others like her. If she had an empty, boring life, that would be one thing, but there's plenty about our own experiences to talk about. I just have no room in my brain to care about the scandals that strangers involve themselves in (I can barely even scratch together any concern for scandals about people I know).
Totally relate . . . I think my disinterest in this type of speculation/gossip probably evolved from being turned off to my mother's continual need to dissect, rumor-monger, etc. So I go the opposite direction -- give people the benefit of the doubt (until they have proven to me that they are not to be trusted) . . . and I always think - my oh my - we just don't know what the "real" reasons are behind why people do what they do -- and it is so wrong to jump to conclusions.

I agree - it is very much like the whole "reality tv" thing . . .

Now, I am fascinated by figures in history but they are typically dead when I am doing the digging on info about them. I really enjoy finding out about their lives, relationships . . . so maybe I am not so far off from my mother as I like to think I am, lol. Just something kind of "icky" about engaging in discussions about folks who are living that I don't feel when reading about folks who are deceased. I feel like people who are living are "on trial" with all the discussion behind their backs -- and not able to defend themselves.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:17 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
I know a couple of people like this. They talk about reality TV characters as if they are real people.
They also talk endlessly about people they know. I really don't understand it at all. They are not very intelligent women but they've both married well so live upscale lives.

I've always assumed they have such empty lives that others' lives, even made-up ones, are really fascinating.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:48 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,781,694 times
Sometimes when people talk about others it seems they are just trying to make sense of the human condition. And, truly, people do interesting things.

Other times it seems they are filling a void either in interests or companionship.

I get uncomfortable if someone starts making fun of strangers. Appearance, physical movement, hardships, even good fortune.

Recently worked with a woman like that. Attempts to redirect the conversation were to no avail.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:08 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
I've got a coworker that does that, he gossips about people he knows and people he doesn't know.

Makes me wonder what he says about me behind my back.....

Old 12-26-2013, 10:24 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
My Mom does that, and it is boring. I ask her what that has to do with me, or us...and I flat out tell her that listening to her talk about people I don't know makes me bored with her.

I learned to always keep conversations in the "here and now", and express my feelings...I confront my Mom when she is acting boorish...after all, if I don't, she may bore other people too...better from me than others,

Old 12-29-2013, 01:26 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I'll start off by saying I generally don't like or engage in gossip. But I'm not one of those self-righteous people who get all indignant about it, like I'm above it or something. My reason is that I generally don't care that much about other people's lives, to listen to or spread gossip about them. But that being said....

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of spending over an hour alone with my Mom before the rest of the family showed up for Christmas. This is unusual, as mostly when I interact with her, there are lots of distractions by others, so it's not just us one-on-one. But yesterday she spent most of the hour telling me what amounts to gossip about people I don't even know. One story was about her co-worker. Another was about a couple who are friends with my sister and brother-in-law. Another was about some acquaintance of hers.

This wasn't just "venting," which I could understand ("ugh, let me vent about this person who really bugs me..."). But it was actual gossip: someone is cheating on a husband, someone lied to someone else, someone has a mental illness that they keep a secret, someone squanders their money and is deeply in debt. Now, even if I knew these people, I probably wouldn't care about these things. But I can at least grasp, intellectually, how for people who enjoy gossip, such stories could be scintillating & stimulating when they're about a person you know. But about total strangers? What's the point?

On my long drive home afterward, I was trying to think if this was just my Mom who does this, or have I encountered it elsewhere. And I realized, that yes, I've seen this with a few other people I know (several colleagues). Most recently, a co-worker was telling me about her mother-in-law having a substance abuse issue, and her sister-in-law doing something sneaky. And I care about this why?

Have you encountered this phenomenon? What could possibly be the motivation? At least if a person is gossiping about people the listener knows, they are carrying out their gossiping agenda (which, I guess, is to be malicious and turn others against the subject by spreading something scandalous about them). But what satisfaction can one derive from gossiping about a person the listener has never met? Is it more than just talking to hear oneself talk (yes my Mom can do that too, so no need to introduce the gossip about strangers).
That's not gossiping about strangers. That's gossiping about people that the gossiper knows but the one listening doesn't. Happens all the time.

Now as far as gossiping about strangers, I have friends who do that and it makes me very uncomfortable. She will point to someone that neither of us know and comment on their body, clothes, hair. It's so rude and I put it up with almost bully like behavior. Stuff like that I will refuse to engage in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships