Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2012, 04:58 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this is a gift or a curse, but, I find many many people just totally open up to me. I have lots of people tell me in a short verbal exchange that their parent, spouse or loved one is an alchoholic or that they are in an abusive relationship. I have co-workers just that I don't know well start telling me how their step father sexually abused them and I'm pretty surprised at how much he spilled out to me. I guess I really don't mind at all and I try and be loving and caring and offer good advice and tell them to get some proper help. This happens to me at least three or four times a week....anybody else experience this
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 05:47 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I don't know if this is a gift or a curse, but, I find many many people just totally open up to me. I have lots of people tell me in a short verbal exchange that their parent, spouse or loved one is an alchoholic or that they are in an abusive relationship. I have co-workers just that I don't know well start telling me how their step father sexually abused them and I'm pretty surprised at how much he spilled out to me. I guess I really don't mind at all and I try and be loving and caring and offer good advice and tell them to get some proper help. This happens to me at least three or four times a week....anybody else experience this
I often get this as well, And people seem comfortable with me for the most part. It's usually typical stuff about their problems, And less often deep secrets. part of this phenomenon is that they are less worried about a stranger of someone not close to them making judgements I think.

I never repeat things with what they tell me though. I value privacy highly so I apply this for that situation. Not a gossip person.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:49 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,953,487 times
Yes, I have had strangers tell me all kinds of deep stuff. That happens a few times a week.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:33 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,662,358 times
Quote:
This has been my burden for years, maybe I'm too nice to ignore them, they start unloading their whole life and I don't really care, but I'm dumb enough to listen.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:54 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,023,382 times
Quote:
All the time. People are always telling me I'm easy to talk to and that they feel better after talking to me- even people I don't know. It can be exhausting sometimes but I leave that vibe open to people.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:25 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
This has been my burden for years, maybe I'm too nice to ignore them, they start unloading their whole life and I don't really care, but I'm dumb enough to listen.
Me too. It seems I'm always the one people are coming to with their problems lol.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:30 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,953,487 times
Offtopic: I also have animals that do not belong to me follow me and befriend me.

I wear earbuds in public when I want to be left alone because unwanted confessions wear me out.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:31 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,705 times
Absolutely; it used to happen constantly. Then I realized that people I don't even know were confiding some of their most personal stories to me. It became draining- to the point I realized I didn't want people laying their trips on me anymore. (Some of the stuff they'd confess was much too disturbing)
So now I put on my ice cold ***** face in public. It doesn't happen as often anymore, thank God

Old 10-03-2012, 07:48 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
For some reason strangers or people i barely know tell me about their personel life (in person/face to face). Im a good listener but i rarely give advice even when asked.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:19 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,249,400 times
Nothing that personal but I do get people who like to be chatty with me. I'm usually just very agreeable and I think I have that look about me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships