Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 11:09 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,925,903 times

Advertisements

Yup I do get that often. Someone was joking I should just become a spy or something. I get it all the time it is very strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 11:50 PM

676 posts, read 1,262,749 times
Yep same here, strangers & acquaintances tell me a lot. I also get the dogs/cats following/being affectionate with me. And kids often come up to me/approach me. I'm childfree, but I do usually smile/wave at them. My therapist mentioned within the first few sessions that I have a lot of empathy. I think that, combined with my ability to keep confidences leads a lot of people to tell me things.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:56 PM

12,792 posts, read 15,031,263 times
Heck no, this never happens to me. Only a very select couple of people know me well. Strangers sure never open up to me. I guess I'm unapproachable, but the reality is, I'm the sweetest, most genune person anyone will ever know & I make an excellent friend.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:11 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,443,360 times
Story of my life.
Maybe I look like I am going to be non-judgy (faaaaaarrrr from the truth).

Old 10-04-2012, 01:49 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,547,234 times
My husband should be a therapist, everyone shares everything with him. And he is not afraid to offer his opinions either. The only exception to that is with regard to couples that are fighting. He knows that they usually get back together again and will remember every thing he said.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:54 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,403,014 times
Yes they do, especially when I'm traveling.
People who really don't like me don't do this.
If opening up to me turns into chatting me up for MLM, I will make a scene that will embarrass the hell out of this person.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,240 times
you are a heart healer. It is cleansing and healing to release the story you carry in secret or that is heavy on your heart. My advice is to let them release, be kind but only listen. Say you hear what they say and feel their pain. You are not suppose to fix. Someone else will so that. You are a heart healer...a listener and receiver. After they leave starting at your toes, push all that energy up through your body and out your head up to God. Sage and wash your hands with cold water. Love and light to you.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:07 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,776,354 times
Yep. I think it's that easy going personality.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:02 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,849,553 times
Yes, when I was younger, this used to happen to me ALL.THE.TIME. Now it happens so much less and frankly I'm just fine with that. I am empathic and I do "get it", which are great qualities to have, but I have much stronger boundaries now. I learned to strengthen those boundaries because I found that I was attracting anybody and everybody, and I was getting enmeshed in their problems.

When you're a naturally compassionate person, it's hard to shut it off (or at least wall it off), but you must learn how to do this for your own sake.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:43 AM

53 posts, read 51,091 times
Happens to me too. I've had colleagues who I'm not even close to tell me about suicides, misscarriages and all in between.
When I was younger I really cared, I felt honored that they'd trust me with these highly personal things.

Nowadays I listen, and I pretend to care. Why should I let a stranger's problem be mine?

The only issue that bothers me today is that my best friend is sleeping with a married man... That is NOT something I support in any way, and it's a burden for me to know. And she'll end up getting hurt. Plus, she's helping to ruin a family....She knows my stance here, but keeps reminding me of it. I started a thread about it in the Relationships forum, so I won't bore you with that here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships