Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 09:01 PM

16,223 posts, read 25,742,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
So, sometimes my wife and I are frustrated, and we can get a bit noisy. Volumes are raised, we're sharing our frustrations with each other. Not top of the lungs yelling.

I'm wondering - can our neighbors hear us when they are inside their house?

Our houses are separated about 20 feet. We have good insulation. All windows are closed.

I can hear them on occasion when they are in their garage and their voices are raised, and I can hear the children in the street when they are playing loudly - or yelling at each other. Rarely do I hear people or music from inside their house while outside, and we've never heard them while inside our house. So I think the answer is no.

I'd appreciate your opinion.
I would say that if your worried about it, then go elsewhere to argue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 09:15 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,287,221 times
I would worry more about whether your toddler can hear you.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:55 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,128,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post

More importantly, to the OP, do you need to raise your voices so loudly? You describe it as venting frustrations, but I'd honestly never allow someone to scream at me at a level which would be heard by others. I just wouldn't wish to live like that.
We've got 2 white trash neighbors that inherited their homes. Both of them prefer this method of family communication. I think for them, not engaging the other party with a full wail is a sign of submission.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:49 AM

23,396 posts, read 29,280,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Play music at the same volume your voices would be at. Go out side and listen. If you can hear it outside, then assume your neighbors can hear it too.

This is one of the reasons I don't understand why people spend big $$$$$ for townhouses, and new urban crap homes with cardboard walls. You have zero privacy.
Great idea!

As far as townhouses, I live in one, with concrete walls between the units, never hear any noise from my neighbors. In the older 60's/70's style apartment buildings, they used to put concrete walls between the units, but no longer. I lived in a older apartment building in Minneapolis with poured concrete walls between the units, and you could play a piano at 2am, and no problem!

I, too, worry about how much the neighbors can hear. I inherited a habit from my father of swearing at inanimate objects. Loudly! And I wonder, often, when the windows are open what my neighbors are thinking. Am I swearing at my pet, my roommate? Nope! All I did was put some eggs on the counter, which were threatening to roll off the counter top onto the floor! Or, I'm trying to unscrew a lid from a jam jar with no luck!

Old 12-18-2013, 04:33 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,551,825 times
The only way to know if they hear you is to ask. If you do not hear much yourself when you are indoors then there is a good chance they don't, but you'll never know if you don't ask.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:17 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,970,860 times
My humble opinion is,,,,,no.

If they have heard you then they would have sent the police to your door for disturbing the peace. On the other hand, they may be writing a screenplay or novel and are using your "discussions" as book material.

So, let the words fly and be happy you can express your mind to each other! Very healthy!!

Old 12-18-2013, 07:39 PM

23,396 posts, read 29,280,247 times
If you're going to engage in any noisy S&M activities, I say do it far out in the country somewhere!

Why? Back in the 70's, working as a male prostitute, I got a call to someone's trailer in a trailer park one night, this guy was into that, S&M. He loved being paddled! OMG! I had no idea how noisy that could be! And the screaming, yelling, and? Don't stop! Don't stop!

I was so petrified, by the noise, I feared a neighbor had called the police! When I left that night, I ran like a deer to my car and laid rubber to get out of there! Never again would I pull that stunt, not even for $1000!

Old 12-20-2013, 09:16 PM

14,490 posts, read 26,660,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Play music at the same volume your voices would be at. Go out side and listen. If you can hear it outside, then assume your neighbors can hear it too.

This is one of the reasons I don't understand why people spend big $$$$$ for townhouses, and new urban crap homes with cardboard walls. You have zero privacy.
location , location.

In the summer voices carry, depends if the windows are open. When my ex and I argued it did carry across an acre of backyard. lol.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:32 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,994,879 times
YES..YES..Yesssssssssss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships