Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 07:21 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,192,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
family was better in the good old days in my opinion in MOST cases.
I don't know about that. Let's take Leave It To Beaver as an example

If Leave It To Beaver truly mirrored real life as it was back then, here's what the character descriptions might look like:
Ward Cleaver: Alcoholic, workaholic, beats his sons with a belt. Bones his secretary on the side. His country club won't allow minorities or Jews to be members. The neighborhood where he bought his home is deed-restricted to white Anglo-Saxon protestant homeowners only. Drives drunk.

June Cleaver: June would be banging Larry Mondello's dad, Pops prescription Nembutal, and has an unlimited refills script for amphetamine-based diet pills. Her woman's club membership restrictions mirror her husband's country club. Drives high.

Wally Cleaver: Wally would have the clap because he banged the town punchboard at a drunken football party and pretends to like girls because of what he faces from family, friends, church and community if he were to be outed.

Beaver Cleaver: As the baby of the family, he's spoiled rotten. Wally resents him and makes his life as miserable as he can. Beaver has been regularly sexually abused by his pastor and little league coach since he was 5 all the while torturing and killing household pets, but is afraid to say anything lest his abusers carry out their threats of killing his parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 07:45 AM

8,286 posts, read 8,699,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post

If Leave It To Beaver truly mirrored real life as it was back then, here's what the character descriptions might look like:
Ward Cleaver: Alcoholic, workaholic, beats his sons with a belt. Bones his secretary on the side. His country club won't allow minorities or Jews to be members. The neighborhood where he bought his home is deed-restricted to white Anglo-Saxon protestant homeowners only. Drives drunk.

June Cleaver: June would be banging Larry Mondello's dad, Pops prescription Nembutal, and has an unlimited refills script for amphetamine-based diet pills. Her woman's club membership restrictions mirror her husband's country club. Drives high.

Wally Cleaver: Wally would have the clap because he banged the town punchboard at a drunken football party and pretends to like girls because of what he faces from family, friends, church and community if he were to be outed.

Beaver Cleaver: As the baby of the family, he's spoiled rotten. Wally resents him and makes his life as miserable as he can. Beaver has been regularly sexually abused by his pastor and little league coach since he was 5 all the while torturing and killing household pets, but is afraid to say anything lest his abusers carry out their threats of killing his parents.
What a bunch of BS. I grew up in that time. No one I knew acted that way. You took a few extreme examples and think they apply to everyone.

In my grade school in the entire 6 years 1 kid had divorced parents. I never saw an intoxicated woman until I was an adult, and the woman was my age.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:50 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,192,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
What a bunch of BS. I grew up in that time. No one I knew acted that way. You took a few extreme examples and think they apply to everyone.

In my grade school in the entire 6 years 1 kid had divorced parents. I never saw an intoxicated woman until I was an adult, and the woman was my age.
I'm glad you qualified this.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:07 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,078,943 times
Quote:

That normally pertains to people that live in Western New York

Old 11-07-2013, 09:21 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,229,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Lemme guess...your friend is a white male.

Btw, they have shown in studies that we ALL romanticize the past.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Nice irrelevant toss of the race card.
Not really. It is relevant. White males had it pretty good back in the old days. Everyone else - not so much. Sometimes, where you stand on something depends on where you sit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelcake4 View Post
My mom has that attitude, but a bit more severe - along the lines of "today's society is terrible, perverse and nothing like it was in the past. I feel sorry for my grandchildren and what awaits them." I'm a big history buff and at times I am overcome with grief at what some people have had to go through (and continue to go through in some parts of the world) so I really lose my patience when people start lamenting the old days just because something is in the news about social media or nudity, etc.
I have heard people say this before - nudity or relaxed sexual mores mean we are worse as a society, blah, blah, blah, than we were in the good old days. There were things in the past (lynching come to mind) that were far worse.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:11 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,765,318 times
When people talk about how "the past was better" I don't think it's necessarily a sign of being stuck in the past or of dwelling on the past, but rather it's an indication of noticing the difference between the world of the present day and that of the past. Sure, in the present day, technology overall has improved. Nevertheless, certain things have changed for the worse.

If the past is all that a person talks about, then that's a different story.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:42 AM

1,484 posts, read 2,263,348 times
Some people who are older may prefer their past because they were more able-bodied - I get that. If you have arthritis and trouble walking, your spouse is dead, kids are gone and moved too far but you can't see them, etc... I could see why you might feel that way. But I agree that it gets annoying. What a waste of your current time. You could be having some great days if you weren't so stuck in the past.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:47 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,693,914 times
I just moved from a part of the country where all they do is talk family and the past. Like a mass pool of stagnating energy. Hehe. It's kinda how they see things, through the past. I understand it once in a while, but not a steady diet of it. Was pretty irritating!

Old 11-07-2013, 11:48 AM

18,760 posts, read 11,831,105 times
Quote:

Yikes. I'd like to go back about 8 months before my husbands retirement, a friends suicide, and now pending loss of my job. Those were the good old days when things were status quo.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:05 PM

624 posts, read 1,163,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
When people talk about how "the past was better" I don't think it's necessarily a sign of being stuck in the past or of dwelling on the past, but rather it's an indication of noticing the difference between the world of the present day and that of the past. Sure, in the present day, technology overall has improved. Nevertheless, certain things have changed for the worse.

If the past is all that a person talks about, then that's a different story.
That is the exact point of me starting this thread, my friend is obsessed with how he thinks the past was better, and all he talks about. Very good clarification you made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships