Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 11:46 AM

943 posts, read 3,162,005 times

Advertisements

Recently I have been receiving some emails and phone messages from people I have not talked to for years. The fact that I have not communicated with them for years indicates to me there must be a reason for the lack of contact. I would just as soon cut off my communication with these people but do not want to be rude.

I look at the email from two people every day and try to decide what I should do. Reply, ignore, or give a terse reply to say I am not interested in future contact. I do not want to be rude and am mixed if I want to start communication with these people again.

My Mother always told me to be honest with people and if spoken to respond. Otherwise you are being rude. But...

Can you relate, what have you done in a similar situation?

Last edited by Weekend Traveler; 05-06-2009 at 11:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 11:49 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,055,320 times
I just don't respond...SILENCE IS GOLDEN.

And, in my phone, people I don't want to speak with are named "DO NOT ANSWER", so when they call, I know NOT to answer the phone. I have at least 3 people in my phone, right now, under DO NOT ANSWER 1, DO NOT ANSWER 2, & DO NOT ANSWER 3.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:09 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,859,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Recently I have been receiving some emails and phone messages from people I have not talked to for years. The fact that I have not communicated with them for years indicates to me there must be a reason for the lack of contact.
You must have a very small circle of friends. There are people I haven't contacted in years. I'd be happy to re-establish contact. Who's got the time anymore?

When my Father died and my Mom then had time to do this, I'm happy to say that no one turned her down.

Perhaps you are limiting this to old flames who didn't cut the mustard? They obviously only get one chance with you!

Old 05-06-2009, 12:10 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,967,001 times
u are genius!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post

And, in my phone, people I don't want to speak with are named "DO NOT ANSWER", so when they call, I know NOT to answer the phone. I have at least 3 people in my phone, right now, under DO NOT ANSWER 1, DO NOT ANSWER 2, & DO NOT ANSWER 3.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:32 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,345,835 times
No I don't.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:44 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,406,814 times
Depends.

I've accepted friend requests from friends/ex-boyfriends on Facebook & MySpace and we've exchanged a couple of messages through the system with life updates, but that's pretty much where it ends. I take it for what it's worth. Chances are if we haven't spoken in years, I don't expect the friendship to exactly blossom again.

I've had guys I dated for a short time try and get in touch with me through phone & emails years later and I did not respond to them. In my mind, we didn't have a "friendship" per se, so they were calling for other reasons and I didn't want to mislead them.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:25 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,687,289 times
Yeah there are some people I know 10000 miles away and we email each other every year or so. No big deal.

There have been some ex girlfriends that have contacted me but I was honest and just did the wish you all best.

Last time I was in New Zealand word got out and a few ex girlfriends contacted me to come and visit for some fun but I had moved on and told them so.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:41 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,721,748 times
I used to get e-mails and IMs from my ex, wanting to be friends. In a few months, I'll probably start getting them again under his new username. He just doesn't seem to understand that I don't want anything to do with him, but for now he's blocked.

I had two really close friends for many years (one of them since elementary school and the other since junior high) and the three of us used to be really close. Since college though, we seem to have gone our separate ways, only managing to stay in touch for a few months after our graduations (plural because we went to two different high schools). I think part of this was that our colleges were hour away from each other.

One of the friends didn't like technology to begin with and would disappear from the Internet for months at a time and didn't have a phone of her own last I spoke to her. The other I just lost contact with due to busy schedules and distance, and last I checked they both changed their e-mails at some point.

Long story short, I can't contact them easily and wish they'd contact me. My mother has run into the one friend's grandmother a few times, but that's about the only time I ever hear about her. I'd love to hear what they're both up to and how they've been doing!

OTOH, I'd accepted friend requests on facebook of high school acquaintances that I still see every now and then around town or at college and occasionally chat to briefly. Online we never talk though, or really acknowledge each other at all, but it's sort of nice to know that there's a link/quick contact if I need it.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:45 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,450,951 times
I am 42 and I am still in contact with my grade school and high school friends and happy to be so. If there was someone from way back when that got in contact and it was unwanted then I would just not respond. Its not like I LOVED everyone.

I have found that someone I didn't care for in high school is a completely different person now, or maybe I am a completely different person and I am glad to be in contact with her now. The petty, childish thing that bothered me so much is a thing of the past.

I cherish my friends from way back when. I sometimes believe they are the only ones who truly know me.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:46 PM

37,627 posts, read 46,045,092 times
No. I've never had any unwanted contact from the past. I have many people in my life that I consider life-long friends. The others that have faded away - they have no reason to contact me at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships