Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 11:07 AM

122 posts, read 349,183 times

Advertisements

This is about a “work place” relationship. I work in an office that is part of a warehouse. (Office is upstairs, warehouse is downstairs). Anyways, theres about 7 people in our department. Two supervisors. One of them (my supervisor) is also a supervisor/manager for our other warehouses located in Tennessee as well as one in Canada, so he travels a lot and is rarely here. Another one of the supervisors, is the supervisor to the people who work in the warehouse downstairs.

This woman (the warehouse supervisor) has got to be thee most annoying person E V E R. I sit in a cubicle about 15 feet away from her. She always has her door open. No biggie right? It is when she takes every single one of her calls including those on her cell ON SPEAKER. She is loud as it is, taking all your calls on speaker just makes things even worse. One of the guys who works in the warehouse comes up here about 15 times a day to chit chat with her and he’s just as loud as she is. I can hear them as if shes right next to me!! Throughout the day, people who work in other departments who she’s friends with come up to visit her and chit chat… again very loud. You would think we are at a bar with all the laughing and gossiping. They laugh/ talk very loud. I have had to hang up with customers because I cant hear them over all the commotion. She’s in her mid 40’s but talks like a 14 yr old girl yelling “OMG DUDE NOO WAY” “LIKE.. IT’S SO BUSY!” People from other departments can hear her screaming and laughing and assume we aren’t working here just playing around. (FAR FROM IT). She's closed her door a few times, but we can still hear her as if it wasnt closed at all

How can I approach this woman about her being so loud? She is higher than me, but not my supervisor. It’s getting out of hand because the only time shes quiet is when she goes out to lunch (which sadly is the same time I have to go out).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 11:18 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,372,767 times
Personally? I wouldn't but that's me....the next day after talking with
her wouldn't be worth it...that I said my peace...I would feel tension.

Conflict resolution starts with me, I feel...what can "I" do? Unless dealing with a teenager
in my home, that is...

I'd buy the foam earplugs, not the putty kind....that way it softens everything, but
you can still hear.

It may help you emotionally to say to yourself...they are insenstive awful people and obviously
will burn in hell for being this way....or something else...

No. 2...an alternative?....the big ole anonymous letter...oh yeah...

Old 10-31-2013, 11:19 AM

451 posts, read 769,606 times
Sounds like most of the people in my office. I feel your pain! Are you allowed to wear headphones? I have the "marshmallow" kind that go inside your ears and also act as ear plugs. Or you can purchase noise-cancelling headphones.

If that's not allowed, I would probably ask her to close her door and tell her that it's too loud for me to concentrate on doing my job. If that didn't work, I'd probably get up and close it for her. If you're not comfortable with going to her directly, then go to her boss or your boss.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:42 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,961,186 times
Ask if you can have a desk somewhere further away from her because the loud noise from her office is disturbing with customer calls.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:46 PM

122 posts, read 349,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Ask if you can have a desk somewhere further away from her because the loud noise from her office is disturbing with customer calls.
Theres no more open cubicles for me to move to. She used to be in a cubile right next to me and I asked to be moved. She later moved to her office but the noise is still there :/

Old 10-31-2013, 03:15 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,920,589 times
Just go close her door.

Lean in, give a friendly little smile, and pull the door closed. If she says ANYTHING, tell her you can't concentrate on your work when you can hear her phone conversations.

It's the truth, and it's not personal.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:43 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,275,560 times
Wmsn4Life's right, when she's got her speaker on, just gently close her door...Miss Hepburns suggestion about the ear plugs is a good one too...sure would dull the noise some.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:48 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,961,186 times
Headphones! Useful when you are on the phone with customers. Useful when you are not on the phone with customers (let some nice music play). If somebody questions it, point out the loud noises coming from Ms. douche.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:54 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,405,620 times
Noelle, if you weren't in TX I'd think we were talking about the same woman.
This lady I work with is the LOUDEST person on our floor. She talks loud and stomps when she walks (only person that does it. everyone else manages to walk quietly.). She went on travel about a month ago, came back with a cough and has been constantly coughing ever since. LOUD, hacking coughs. She walks around the office coughing and doesn't cover her mouth. I've gotten sick as well as a couple of other people. I was washing my hands in the bathroom, she comes in, goes into the stall and slams the door. Maybe the door slipped, maybe she was angry and slammed it, I don't know. But it seems she does everything at a higher noise level than others. I wonder if maybe she does it for attention, or she just doesn't realize how loud she is.
And yes, she is in her late 40s, early 50s and talks like a teenager. Even has that valley girl twang to her speech - "Like, seriously? Like, dude. Like, toootally, seriously, dude". Annoys the heck out of me.
I use my headphones but I don't interact with customers. Since it is disrupting your talking to your customers, in other words, you can't effectively do your job because of her loudness, you could bring it up to your supervisor. Phrase it so that you're not telling on her but you kinda are. "I really want to provide top level service to my customers; however, I'm finding it difficult to conduct business on the phone with them because of the excessive noise in the office. What do you suggest?" Maybe he'll ask you to elaborate and take it from there.
I also like Wmsn's suggestion on closing her door. She should get the message then.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:03 PM

639 posts, read 1,963,591 times
I have 2 coworkers who like to walk into my cubicle and have loud conversations while I'm on the phone with customers. I still haven't figured out what to do about them! The earplugs idea will not work for anyone who is struggling to hear customers on the phone. If I ask them to quiet down they will either ignore me or stay quiet for about 30 seconds before the volume goes back up. I've literally pushed my coworkers out of my cubicle for talking so loud and they thought I had gone crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships