Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 01:44 PM

103 posts, read 164,171 times

Advertisements

what you think of the person who decides to use the self-checkout...

with a gazillion items in the cart--like full of stuff

What is the psychology of that? I have already talked to the clerks about the whole point of having self checkout and it being very zippy when it's just about 10 items or less.

One clerk told me they used to have '15 items or less' signs but took them down. I can't fathom why but perhaps it has to do with "the customer is always right."

Please help me with this. I am so not receiving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 02:59 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,485,072 times
Maybe they enjoy it? I don't find it hard to use and the only problem is the limited space to fill bags.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
Maybe they enjoy it? I don't find it hard to use and the only problem is the limited space to fill bags.
That's a definite possibility. I sure do. Okay, rant over.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:12 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,968,218 times
It depends on who the bagger is at the regular checkout. My local grocery store hires developmentally delayed teens and adults to do the bagging, and some of them are really awful, as in, put 5 lbs of potatoes on top of the bread awful. If I have the time, which I usually do, I will help them bag and keep an eye out. They really are sweet, and I'm glad the store gives them jobs. But, if I'm buying a lot of fresh produce to make a meal for guests, or a fabulous dessert, I want to bag it "my" way. That's when I head to the self checkout. Our store has 8 of them, so it doesn't matter how many others are doing it too, nobody is ever waiting.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:16 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,260,016 times
The only time I did this was the cashier wasn't at her register. I stood and waited, she was just... gone. I got sick of waiting. So I went to the self-checkout. Otherwise I am guessing some people prefer to do it their own way. I don't care, but I prefer that there is at least one other free lane available for those of us with just a few items.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:20 PM

Default Yup. We got those, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
It depends on who the bagger is at the regular checkout. My local grocery store hires developmentally delayed teens and adults to do the bagging, and some of them are really awful, as in, put 5 lbs of potatoes on top of the bread awful. If I have the time, which I usually do, I will help them bag and keep an eye out. They really are sweet, and I'm glad the store gives them jobs. But, if I'm buying a lot of fresh produce to make a meal for guests, or a fabulous dessert, I want to bag it "my" way. That's when I head to the self checkout. Our store has 8 of them, so it doesn't matter how many others are doing it too, nobody is ever waiting.
Although there is one girl who bags and has Down's Syndrome and she is so smart and good about bagging and she even shelves. So important to give the mentally disabled work. But I hear you. Even with any bagger, there is the risk of smashing the tomatoes.

I used to cashier and would get people that wanted to do the bagging.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:29 PM

112 posts, read 212,827 times
Don't have to worry about me cloggin your line. Don't like 'em. Won't use 'em.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:59 PM

22,603 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Self-checkouts in my area have no limits on the number of items... so anyone can use them (even if it annoys you ).

Old 08-11-2013, 04:14 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,291,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susie creamcheese View Post
what you think of the person who decides to use the self-checkout...

with a gazillion items in the cart--like full of stuff

What is the psychology of that?
the psychology is easy...they hate waiting in a lineup with a bunch of carts (with a gazillion items in the cart)...whatever proves quickest for them...don't blame them, and understand completely.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:36 PM

Default LOL! How come?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher777 View Post
Don't have to worry about me cloggin your line. Don't like 'em. Won't use 'em.
When I am waiting to use self-check, I glance over to the regular lines and always wonder why people want to use them. I suspect that those with large loads are likely to prefer having a cashier do it. Although some people like other people to do the work. I also like to check myself out at the library.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships