Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 05:30 PM

103 posts, read 164,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
If I had a bazillion items, I won't be using the self-checkout personally because that's a lot to bag myself, but I never really noticed people in the stores in my ares using the self checkout if they have a ton of stuff...probably because they're thinking like myself that they don't want to bag all that either. I've just never been in a lengthy line at the self checkout section.
I have stood by and exchanged glances with the supervising self-check cashier about people with full carts. Why? Why?! Why would you do that when the whole purpose of that line is to go in and go out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 08:26 PM

658 posts, read 1,557,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susie creamcheese View Post
what you think of the person who decides to use the self-checkout...

with a gazillion items in the cart--like full of stuff

What is the psychology of that? I have already talked to the clerks about the whole point of having self checkout and it being very zippy when it's just about 10 items or less.

One clerk told me they used to have '15 items or less' signs but took them down. I can't fathom why but perhaps it has to do with "the customer is always right."

Please help me with this. I am so not receiving.
I always use self-checkout if available. Even if I have 100+ items.
I prefer to do it myself than to deal with cashiers.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:41 PM

Default But WHY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by certsevtxert View Post
I always use self-checkout if available. Even if I have 100+ items.
I prefer to do it myself than to deal with cashiers.

And so you don't feel the least bit guilty about tying up the self-check line? For those of us with only three items?

Old 08-12-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
And so you don't feel the least bit guilty about tying up the self-check line? For those of us with only three items?
Nope, I don't feel the least bit guilty. Because there are like 8 other self-checkout, you can get the next one or wait until I'm done. Note I'm not in a 15 or less isle. I use the isle with unlimited items. Thus I am perfectly within my rights to use as many items as I want.

You have 3 items? Then there's like 10 or 16 lines you can get on, you don't have to wait behind the person with the most stuff.

I'm not going to be bothered by other people's impatience. They can suck it up.

That said, I try to do my best to respect people, and if someone's waiting I do try to speed up. Further, 100 is an exaggeration, I rarely get more than 30 things and often much less.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:11 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,594,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindiana View Post
Sometimes people check out a bunch of stuff at the self check-outs because it is easier to steal stuff.
You just reminded me of the Walmart clerk that told me about a customer that she had, that had changed the price tags on his items, after ringing up several and knowing what he had done, she called the manager. She said he ended up paying full price and walking out with no charges. That's theft to me, he just didn't get away with it. He should have to pay a penalty.
So what you just said makes perfect sense.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
You just reminded me of the Walmart clerk that told me about a customer that she had, that had changed the price tags on his items, after ringing up several and knowing what he had done, she called the manager. She said he ended up paying full price and walking out with no charges. That's theft to me, he just didn't get away with it. He should have to pay a penalty.
So what you just said makes perfect sense.
My grocery store has a camera at every self-checkout. So don't try to steal stuff or you'll get caught.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:07 PM

22,712 posts, read 47,922,292 times
Quote:
Why should anyone feel guilty?
Self-checkout is for everyone, unless designated otherwise.

If there is no limit posted, it does not matter if you have three items or thirty. No one is doing any wrong by using them.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:13 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,940,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
You could always set the soft stuff aside, or put it up last and ask them to bag it separately.
As a cashier I am ALWAYS appreciative of customers who put their stuff up the way I like to bag it. I WANT to keep the cold/frozen together, the produce together, boxes, cans, etc. separate and together with what GOES together. I figure it's easier on them when they get home too. I don't like it when they just strew everything from one end of the belt to the other and THEN dump a pile of clothes on top! I can't help but wonder, what ARE they thinking?? Obviously they aren't. I used to waste a lot of time reaching for the things that could be bagged together and then one day I decided to hell with it and just bag it the way they've got it up there. If they have any complaints they can start with themselves! I don't bag non-foods with food items either. I've had people tell me to go ahead and do it but I won't. I let THEM do it, if they want to though.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:27 PM

Default Do you need signs to tell you to do the considerate things in life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Why should anyone feel guilty?
Self-checkout is for everyone, unless designated otherwise.

If there is no limit posted, it does not matter if you have three items or thirty. No one is doing any wrong by using them.
I hear that a lot: "Well, there's no sign!" or "There's no law that I can't blast my car subwoofers through the neighborhood so it's my right!"

Everything is not in the books but it doesn't mean anything goes...

Old 08-15-2013, 09:34 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,940,528 times
Quote:
I hear that a lot: "Well, there's no sign!" or "There's no law that I can't blast my car subwoofers through the neighborhood so it's my right!"

Everything is not in the books but it doesn't mean anything goes...
Oh my! That sign thing... Last holiday season they decided to 'decorate' the signs at the 20 items or less registers and wrapped them up like gifts. You couldn't read the "20 items or less" but people who are in there all the time KNOW that just because it's covered it up doesn't mean they can come through with 50 items...and they did it anyway. Why? Because there was no sign!! Sheesh!! Well, they do it with the sign showing anyway so....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships