Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 03:40 PM

20,770 posts, read 20,010,846 times

Advertisements

Not everybody is social and able to present themselves well on semi casual lunch. Let's not forget, it is not a friend-to-friend conversation, where you can just blur out what you think. You always have to be cautious what you say and maybe for OP, this is too much.

I never go to lunches with other people, I rather want to seem mysterious as compared to awkward. When I am in situations where I don't feel fully comfortable, I start acting weird. This would have consequences on my job. Plus, you spend all day with these people anyway and have to have the workmood turned on. Lunchtime is reboot time and time away IMO.

Different story if you plan on getting promoted ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 03:51 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,016,066 times
I used to be more socially awkward, but I think age has made me have more of a "what the heck" attitude. Maybe this is something you will grow into (not sure about your age).

I just feel sad for you because I know a guy like you. He is one of the best at his job but ALWAYS turns down the social invites from management and I'm sure that's why he never gets the promotions. It isn't fair, but I guess that's the corporate game...

Old 09-11-2013, 05:02 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,649,088 times
I would ask for a quick meeting on her time. I would put it on the table. Just say that you feel your lunch is your time to decompress and recharge for the second half of the day and the way you personally do this is to have lunch by yourself. You feel more stress by these 'lunches with the boss' and unless there is a specific work reason, your personal boundaries are that work time is their time, and lunch time is your time. You like to keep that boundary and unless there is a mandatory company function, you are declining any further invites. Sometimes people just need to have you state it in black and white to accept it.

Be warned as others have said, this could give you a 'cold fish' reputation that could block any advancement plans you may have.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:17 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,252,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Not everybody is social and able to present themselves well on semi casual lunch. Let's not forget, it is not a friend-to-friend conversation, where you can just blur out what you think. You always have to be cautious what you say and maybe for OP, this is too much.

I never go to lunches with other people, I rather want to seem mysterious as compared to awkward. When I am in situations where I don't feel fully comfortable, I start acting weird. This would have consequences on my job. Plus, you spend all day with these people anyway and have to have the workmood turned on. Lunchtime is reboot time and time away IMO.

Different story if you plan on getting promoted ...
I'm sorry but this is not A Lunch, this is lunch. In the cafeteria.

If a grown man cannot prepare himself adequately for this insignificant event, he really has no place working in an office with other people, at all.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:33 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,639,516 times
Ironic that you talk about this person gossiping, yet here you are..

You should be able to say "no thanks" to a lunch request. If this person is going to burn you down for that, they eventually do it for something else. Also, I don't see what is so shocking about getting desert at lunch. I often go to the cafeteria and get meatloaf with mashed potatoes and a cookie. I guess I'm a freak in your eyes.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:29 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,088,688 times
Your boss is looking for an ally. My guess would be that her position is on shaky ground or at least she feels it is, maybe out of insecurity. A less than forthright person might use such a situation to her advantage.
Just saying.....

Old 09-11-2013, 06:39 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,660,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
I started working in a different department with new people & I find the new boss pushy. She comes to my office to get me for lunch and sits with us.

Today I finished work early & she said she wanted to discuss things with me. That was at lunch time so SHE FORCED me to go to lunch with her because she could not discuss things on an empty stomach. . In short, I was done but she would resume working after lunch. So when she asked me if I wanted to eat anything I said I was okay & she kept pushing. So I said I would get myself a coffee & she offered to pay for it, to my dismay. I hate to be forced to thank people for such trivial things as a looney worth of coffee, too much trouble for nothing.

Next Tuesday she mentioned discussing things over lunch with her & pretty much TOLD me I''m to lunch with her.

I want to keep her at arms length she gossiped about all the other rejected candidates after she hired me. So I do not trust her

During lunch time, I rather eat my own home made sandwich, for health reasons & I hate spending money unnecessarily. I noticed she even has dessert during lunch. I never saw anyone have a 3 course meal at a cafeteria before.

I do not want to lunch with the big boss or anyone else. As a rule, I prefer to walk around during lunchtime or if I have a good friend eat with them. Or just call the SO & the step son.

This company lunch feels forced & uncomfortable. I don't know how to avoid it diplomatically?
I think this is something companies need to keep an eye on and discourage. Unless you are getting paid for your lunch time, she is taking advantage of you. I used to enjoy my lunch alone. Being a working mother, this was my only quiet time of the day. The very last thing I wanted to do was eat with fellow workers. Lunches with these people always seemed to feel like work. Give me a good book, good food and time alone any day.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:13 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,442,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post
I would say that she is hitting on you and won't take no for an answer. I don't think there is a polite way to refuse. You just have to refuse. And then she may find a cause to fire you.

If there is a human resource dept (a person responsible for handling employee relations and stuff like that) then you should talk to them about it and ask for advice. Otherwise, I don't see anything else to do. You may have been hired in the first place because she liked you "a bit too much".
This is ridiculous.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:20 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,815,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Bahahahhahahhah!!!!

And your only problem is Lunch with the Boss?

Probably not the real issue here. It sounds like a social anxiety disorder. There are medications for that. Have you thought about talking to a therapist AM? I know some people with the problem and it can be overwhelming. Sometimes these things just work themselves out with time and becoming familiar with every one involved. All the best to you.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:41 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,769,079 times
Your problem is not the lunches, its the fact that you will never have secure employment if you faked your resume. They can come back years later and fire you for dishonesty. I fired someone who was dumb enough to have turned in two different resumes. Do whatever you want about the lunch but start looking you actually qualify for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships