Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2013, 09:52 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,203,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I went for one night. Saw everyone I wanted to see. I'm not one of those bitter people who say, "I hated everybody I went to high school." That says a lot more about their own arrested social development as people than it does about their classmates. I mean, if you're still bitter about high school at age 25 or 28, go see a therapist because you're the one with major snakes in the head.

But, at the same time, high school wasn't the end-all, be-all time of my life. It was something I did for four years and then moved on. There are a handful of people with whom I really stay in touch from high school. 3-4 tops. The rest I kind of keep up with on Facebook.
People have the right not to want to revisit such a painful past. Despite what you'd like to believe high school wasn't a fun experience for everyone. The people I went to high school with aren't the only people on this planet so I really don't see the need to go checking up on them or going to a reunion full of people I don't have fond memories when I can just meet new people and I have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellious1 View Post
I know a few people that are like this and never understood it. I think the main reason is because they either weren't as popular as they wanted to be or they were just introverted and never tried to make friends.

I was introverted and still had a great time in high school. Matter of fact, me and 9 other high school friends had a bachelor weekend for a friend that is about to get married this past weekend. Were 28 years old and even though a lot of the guys are married and have kids, we acted like we were 18 years old again. It was a good time.

Our 10 year reunion is coming up this year but I'm not sure if I'll go or not.
So do you believe that we should have changed who we are to become more popular? Quite frankly being petty and excessively shallow was the norm in high school and if you didn't fit a certain mold you were going to be an outcast, point blank. Needless to say I didn't fit that mold. The thing is I actually feel better about life now then I did in high school. I have more responsibilities now and I'm not living under my parent's roof but I've also met a lot of awesome people who aren't petty and cliquish (and yeah I'm an introvert).

My question is that why are people in this forum so obsessed with high school?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 10:29 AM

838 posts, read 1,353,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
People have the right not to want to revisit such a painful past. Despite what you'd like to believe high school wasn't a fun experience for everyone. The people I went to high school with aren't the only people on this planet so I really don't see the need to go checking up on them or going to a reunion full of people I don't have fond memories when I can just meet new people and I have.

So do you believe that we should have changed who we are to become more popular? Quite frankly being petty and excessively shallow was the norm in high school and if you didn't fit a certain mold you were going to be an outcast, point blank. Needless to say I didn't fit that mold. The thing is I actually feel better about life now then I did in high school. I have more responsibilities now and I'm not living under my parent's roof but I've also met a lot of awesome people who aren't petty and cliquish (and yeah I'm an introvert).

My question is that why are people in this forum so obsessed with high school?
Ugh, no. What I meant was that some people that wanted to be popular and didn't become popular dislike high school because of that reason. I didn't hang out with the popular crowd nor was my high school stuck up. Even though people had their own groups, the groups got along with each other.

I'm not obsessed with high school. I'm 28 years old and couldn't care less about going to the reunion. I still talk to some of my friends from high school but we only see each other about once a year. Even though I probably won't be going to the reunion, my high school years were great. Sorry you had such a bad time. But people who did have a good time like to remember now and then. Is that such a bad thing?

Old 05-10-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Ugh, no. What I meant was that some people that wanted to be popular and didn't become popular dislike high school because of that reason. I didn't hang out with the popular crowd nor was my high school stuck up. Even though people had their own groups, the groups got along with each other.

I'm not obsessed with high school. I'm 28 years old and couldn't care less about going to the reunion. I still talk to some of my friends from high school but we only see each other about once a year. Even though I probably won't be going to the reunion, my high school years were great. Sorry you had such a bad time. But people who did have a good time like to remember now and then. Is that such a bad thing?
Of course not but at the same time is it such a bad thing for someone who didn't have fond memories of high school not to want to have anything to do with it ever again besides having their diploma? The problem with these threads is that people on both sides are trying to force their opinions and experiences down each other's throat. I've never done such a thing, I know people had good memories of high school and I respect that. But some people do not and that's all there is to it. Just because someone was a "loser" in high school doesn't mean they are going to be a loser for life. So really I don't see no reason to hassle people for having bad experiences.

Last edited by Ro2113; 05-10-2013 at 11:15 AM..

Old 05-10-2013, 10:59 AM

550 posts, read 1,282,178 times
I looked at some pics of my 10 year reunion on Facebook. It looks like maybe 25% at most showed up. I didn't go. I haven't kept up with anyone from highschool.

Quote:
I went for one night. Saw everyone I wanted to see. I'm not one of those bitter people who say, "I hated everybody I went to high school." That says a lot more about their own arrested social development as people than it does about their classmates. I mean, if you're still bitter about high school at age 25 or 28, go see a therapist because you're the one with major snakes in the head.

But, at the same time, high school wasn't the end-all, be-all time of my life. It was something I did for four years and then moved on. There are a handful of people with whom I really stay in touch from high school. 3-4 tops. The rest I kind of keep up with on Facebook.
I used to hate everyone from highschool. Now I nothing them.

I just don't have any reason to spend a day hanging out with people I never really liked and who never really liked me. I don't get the point. Heck, at this point I doubt I could name ten people I went to highschool with.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:04 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,380,607 times
Not even me.

I haven't got to any reunions.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Of course not but at the same time is it such a bad thing for someone who didn't have fond memories of high school not to want to have anything to do with it ever again besides having their diploma? The problem with these threads is that people on both sides are trying to force their opinions and experiences down each other's throat. I've never done such a thing, I know people had good memories of high school and I respect that. But some people do not and that's all there is to it. Just because someone was a "loser" in high school doesn't mean they are going to be a loser for life. So really I don't see no reason to hassle people for having bad experiences.
Exactly, people change. The person you knew 10 years ago might not be the same person now. But for someone to say they hated everybody and hated high school without a valid excuse is ridiculous.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:10 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
Well, if that's the case, then you really need to resolve the anger that's plainly evident here. Because it will affect every single relationship you have for the rest of your life, and your life will suffer because of it.
Pfft whatever. If anything, my anger helps to keep me on edge so people cant with me or take advantage of me. My edge is the best self-defense I have.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Pfft whatever. If anything, my anger helps to keep me on edge so people cant with me or take advantage of me. My edge is the best self-defense I have.
Don't bottle your anger, grow some balls and let people know where you stand.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:44 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,054,901 times
I went to my 10th reunion and had a great time. I went mostly to see if my high school boyfriend would be there but he wasn't. I went to one other one after that and he wasn't there either, so I gave up on the reunions. My fantasy was smashed to bits.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Exactly, people change. The person you knew 10 years ago might not be the same person now. But for someone to say they hated everybody and hated high school without a valid excuse is ridiculous.
And why does that bother you? It doesn't bother me. It's like I said, high school is not the end all be all to life. Might as well just let it go and accept that some people didn't like high school. It's not the end of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships