Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 10:27 PM

773 posts, read 1,261,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
So - do you like making other people happy?
Only if they have a good heart and they enjoy making me happy, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 10:27 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,554,626 times
I like making other people happy.

I love to encourage, help, and do things for others.

I won't let anyone use me, though.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:40 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,169,868 times
I don't feel it's my responsibility to make others happy, but it makes me feel happy too, so I don't see why anyone would not want to make others happy, without going to ridiculous extremes. Something as a simple smile, or hello, or a thoughtful little something goes a long way...

Old 02-28-2012, 10:42 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,169,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut112 View Post
Only if they have a good heart and they enjoy making me happy, too.
Sometimes it's most satisfying when you make someone who seems miserable and bitter happy and it makes them a better person.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:42 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,563,006 times
no i dont. its a full time job and i have failed so many times at it.
i dont even make myself happy.
its like trying to fill the ocean with sand dollars.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:46 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,982,589 times
I think for the most part (besides so many people on CD) you will see many random acts of kindness, much more than people mistreating others. When I find myself in a bind and I'm in public, I am always helped by people. I don't know why so many people on here have such a negative view of the people around them, I do whatever I can for everyone I see and I feel that for the most part there will always be someone to help me when I am in need also.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:57 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,290,103 times
Quote:
It's a simple question. Do you like making other people happy? It seems that many people on here are so hung up on what others are doing or not doing for them. People scream "entitlement" constantly! "She thinks she's entitled to a good looking guy who makes a lot of money and treats her well when really she should settle for me!" "He thinks he's entitled to a hot wife you dotes on him when really he should settle for me!" People fight about who puts how much effort into dating and romancing. People fight about which gender looks better or acts better or does more... But I look at my own life - and I feel soooooo lucky - and I realize that none of these things ever come up in my life. And I wonder if it's partly because I like making other people happy. I honestly do. It's not a chore. I don't bemoan the fact that I have to dress up for someone or cook for someone or take care of someone. I enjoy it. I like having my friends and neighbors over for dinner. I like throwing parties. I like taking care of my husband. I like taking care of my dog. I like taking care of my baby. I like making other people HAPPY! It makes me feel good!
My philosophy is that if someone is a miserable wretch, there's nothing I can do to make him or her happy. True happiness comes from within.

However, I do like to give people a boost when they're being too hard on themselves or need encouragement.

"Yzette, YOU?"

I heard that.

No, really. I like being an ear for my friends and being there for them to bounce their thoughts off of. My friends are generally not pity-party types, so when they are blue, it's usually something really weighing on them and not that the store didn't have the desired Louboutins in the right size or something like that.

And I like bringing a little bit of beauty into people's lives. I'm forever posting nature videos to my FB, usually something that makes people stop for a second.

But my real M.O. is more to make people laugh. If I can crack someone up, I've done my good deed for the day.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:18 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,217,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I think for the most part (besides so many people on CD) you will see many random acts of kindness, much more than people mistreating others. When I find myself in a bind and I'm in public, I am always helped by people. I don't know why so many people on here have such a negative view of the people around them, I do whatever I can for everyone I see and I feel that for the most part there will always be someone to help me when I am in need also.
One of my most poignant memories is this -
When I had been living in New York for a year or two - I got a job doing a show in PA. To get there, I had to take a bus from Penn Station. I was going to be gone for a couple months so I had a big suitcase, a back pack, and a duffle bag (after 2 more tours and lots of traveling, I've since learned to travel much lighter!) and I was having a really hard time with all my crap. I wasn't sure which terminal my bus was leaving out of and I guessed wrong. So I had to lug all my crap up and down an escalator and across a walkway to the other building. Well, I was having such a hard time that I was ready to cry! As I was getting on the escalator, this guy comes up to me and grabs my stuff for me. I was thrilled! "Thank you so much!" I said. He said, "Oh, I'm not doing this for free." Well, at that point in time I was so tired and frustrated that it was worth a few bucks for the help so I didn't mind. We get to the line where I buy my ticket and I realize that I only have one single and then a 20 dollar bill. We were literally right across the way from a kiosk so I told him, "I want to give you $10 but I only have a 20. There is a kiosk right there and I trust you to get change and bring me back a ten. Thank you!" And he walked right out of the building while I stood there like the little idiot that I was. And like the little idiot I was - I kept looking after him like maybe he decided to go to a kiosk that I couldn't see and would come back with my change. The guy ahead of me in line said, "I'm sorry, miss, but I saw him walk out of the building." And I told him how dumb I was and that it was okay. Anyway, after that guy bought his ticket - he came back to me, gave me a twenty, and said, "That shouldn't happen to you. Have a nice day!"

This is one of my favorite memories. Just when I had lost faith in humanity - this guy steps in and gives it right back to me. Whenever someone is awful to me or when something bad happens - I remember that guy. I hope that someone stranger has some memory of me like that, too! But more than likely, some stranger has a memory of me in which I'm that idiot waiting for the bum to come back with my change!

Old 02-28-2012, 11:24 PM

244 posts, read 708,191 times
I like to make people miserable..to make them regret their everyday existence everyday whenever I make my presence known around them. :I

Joking ;p, i enjoy making people feel pretty good about themselves and i tend to be overly positive about things. I just like to see the good things in life than focus on the negative aspects. ;p

Old 02-28-2012, 11:31 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,508,779 times
Quote:
Yes. But I'm not going to exert any extra effort, time, or resources to do it.

[they'll have to be happy with Lazy Mike's Method]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships