Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 07:05 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,119,687 times

Advertisements

Are people who are always happy and outgoing like that because the world is a bit nicer to them in comparison to most people? Maybe they were blessed with a great family, friends...tend to get more positive reinforcement about their looks or personality than most people...or are they just putting on an act? I find them fake. Especially the ones who are super good looking. Of course its easy to smile and be happy if you are always being told you are attractive. They just rub me the wrong way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 07:19 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Are people who are always happy and outgoing like that because the world is a bit nicer to them in comparison to most people? Maybe they were blessed with a great family, friends...tend to get more positive reinforcement about their looks or personality than most people...or are they just putting on an act? I find them fake. Especially the ones who are super good looking. Of course its easy to smile and be happy if you are always being told you are attractive. They just rub me the wrong way
No. Not at all. The world has not been any nicer to me than it has to anyone else. Blessed with a great family? Not sure about that either, as much as I love them. Of course I have lost my parents, so that can't be a good thing, or happy thing. Friends? I have a couple.

I am a very happy and outgoing person and I am not putting on any act. I do have days where I am not as happy, but that is human nature.

I am not super good looking, so I don't have that going for me either.

I'm sorry I rub you the wrong way. Maybe you need to take a more positive view on life and fill your glass half full next time instead of half empty....

Old 09-27-2012, 07:49 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
I'm a big believer in positive thinking. How happy you is probably 80% dependent on how you see things, how you 'roll with the punches.' In psychology we call it the 'internal locus of control' rather than the external locus of control. We're all somewhere in between these two extremes, but the more your happiness depends on internal things, the better off you tend to be. Of course there are the obvious things basic for survival and happiness like food, water, love.

Attractive people are not always happier, of course. It's just one variable among many and it can often be a double-edged sword.

A bit of personal advice you can take it or leave it. I think your obsession with your appearance/beauty has more to do with what's in between your ears than your skin colour or anything else. I reckon even if you could magically turn into whatever our ideal was overnight, you'd find something else to be unhappy about. I speak from personal experience here.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:56 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,119,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
No. Not at all. The world has not been any nicer to me than it has to anyone else. Blessed with a great family? Not sure about that either, as much as I love them. Of course I have lost my parents, so that can't be a good thing, or happy thing. Friends? I have a couple.

I am a very happy and outgoing person and I am not putting on any act. I do have days where I am not as happy, but that is human nature.

I am not super good looking, so I don't have that going for me either.

I'm sorry I rub you the wrong way. Maybe you need to take a more positive view on life and fill your glass half full next time instead of half empty....
I didn't mean to offend you personally. It's just that I was watching a youtube video of this woman who has a very happy go lucky attitude...and she is always trying to convince others to be the same way. Well, it's easy for her to have a positive outlook on life when she has a husband who adores her, tons of friends, and very attractive.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:49 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
I don't think they are fake at all. There are people that are naturally positive and happy. Not everyone is like that, but certainly there are many people like that. They have probably been like that their whole life and will for the rest of their life.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:04 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Happiness can only come from yourself, if you are not happy with you and allow what others or society deems required to be liked, loved, beautiful, respected, accepted, etc. etc. etc. you will never be happy with yourself and you will always compare yourself to others and continue to stay jealous, envious or have negative emotions regarding most of the rest of humanity. Not every human is happy every moment of every day some are just happy more often than not because they rely on themselves to dictate what makes them happy and they do not care what the rest of society thinks of them.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:55 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
On the flipside, don't you find people who use the excuse of 'keeping it real' to be rude *******s? You don't have to on an act but maturity means respecting and being polite to people you may not like, unless there's a good reason not to be.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:30 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,414,746 times
I tend to put on a happy face at work and am very talkative, because that's my job. Sure, I rub some people off the wrong way, but so what?

What I dislike are people who are happy in a forced happy talkative way that's either extremely grandiose or conformist.

I don't dig fake and much prefer people to keep it real.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:48 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Quote:
I didn't mean to offend you personally. It's just that I was watching a youtube video of this woman who has a very happy go lucky attitude...and she is always trying to convince others to be the same way. Well, it's easy for her to have a positive outlook on life when she has a husband who adores her, tons of friends, and very attractive.
I wasn't offended. I am one of those positive people who rubs you the wrong way, as in your initial post, and basically I was breaking your post down, answering each sentence. I was not offended. I know that I am not fake just because I lead a happy and positive life. I am who I am and there is nothing I need to change about that.....

Those are the things SHE has, but you don't also need those things to achieve happiness....

Old 09-28-2012, 07:47 AM

3,983 posts, read 5,014,989 times
Quote:
How do you know that's why she's happy? I used to be that way (the way you think now) when I was younger. I was just sure I'd be happy if I had (YOU NAME IT - good looks, more money etc.). My dad told me on more than one occasion that no matter where you go, there you are....people tend to take their problems and attitudes with them so exterior changes won't fix that. You really have to dig inside to find what you're looking for.

I didn't always agree with him but now I do. I HAVE to find it within...

So, when you're looking at people and they put off the happy vibe, they're finding it in themselves. Do you know what I mean? Life is hard...very hard...for MOST everyone on the planet. Some people are born with the natural talent of seeing things in a positive, happy light. It's harder for many others but you really have to work on that, IMO. It doesn't come easy for everyone but it's totally worth it to shed all that extra "worry" and just accept who you are.

I really want to stress that you cannot tell what a person is going through just by looking at them. You can't assume someone "has it all" because they're nice looking or whatever reason. Ya just can't....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships