Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 08:58 AM

1,139 posts, read 3,467,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
What year is your Altima? (I have an '07)
Its a 1999, GLE

Are you sure the noise is coming from behind the instrument panel and not actually coming from the engine or under the hood?

Yes. Pretty sure.

What speed does it occur?

15mph or more. It may occur at lower speed but its not audible.

Does it do it sitting still? Nope.

When holding the brake? Nope.

When accelerating? Yes. when accelerating.

Engine cold or hot? It happens as soon as I start the car and hit the road.

Heater on or off? OFF

When did it start ticking and did anything else start acting up then?
I noticed about a week before the brake light and battery light came ON.

Is it a quick ticking or is it slow or random? Its a ticking sound that's fairly steady.

Anything else you can think of?

The only thing I can think of is my odometer doesn't work and if this ticking sound could be something that's trying to get it going again?
Reply in BOLD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 09:27 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times
Sound like you've narrowed it down to the speedometer/odometer. Next thing to do is to unplug the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) and take it for a drive. This will stop the speedo/odo from working. If the ticking is gone you've isolated the problem.

The VSS is located on the transmission, most likely on the top. Just unplug it being careful not to break the sensor or the plug. Be aware that the check engine lite will come on but you can clear the code later.

It should look similar to this with only the top half exposed.
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan Altima - Brake Light and Battery Light ON-speed-sensor.jpg  

Old 10-02-2011, 12:34 AM

926 posts, read 1,256,226 times
Quote:
TampaiteQuote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps
What year is your Altima? (I have an '07)
Its a 1999, GLE

Are you sure the noise is coming from behind the instrument panel and not actually coming from the engine or under the hood?

Yes. Pretty sure.

What speed does it occur?

15mph or more. It may occur at lower speed but its not audible.

Does it do it sitting still? Nope.

When holding the brake? Nope.

When accelerating? Yes. when accelerating.

Engine cold or hot? It happens as soon as I start the car and hit the road.

Heater on or off? OFF

When did it start ticking and did anything else start acting up then?
I noticed about a week before the brake light and battery light came ON.

Is it a quick ticking or is it slow or random? Its a ticking sound that's fairly steady.

Anything else you can think of?

The only thing I can think of is my odometer doesn't work and if this ticking sound could be something that's trying to get it going again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
Reply in BOLD
Did you get a resolution to the 'ticking' problem?

I have a 2009 Altima SL with 29,000 miles and it does the same thing.

The ticking noise occurs just after taking off and the car is cold. It seems to happen when turning left and now the brake light is coming on randomly. My brakes were checked a month ago and pads and rotors were fine. But my battery light has not come on....yet. I will have my alternator checked.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:06 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,467,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redd1skng View Post
Did you get a resolution to the 'ticking' problem?

I have a 2009 Altima SL with 29,000 miles and it does the same thing.

The ticking noise occurs just after taking off and the car is cold. It seems to happen when turning left and now the brake light is coming on randomly. My brakes were checked a month ago and pads and rotors were fine. But my battery light has not come on....yet. I will have my alternator checked.
I replaced my battery, alternator, tie rods and put in an instrument cluster(bought from junk yard) and I don't hear the 'ticking' noise.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:39 PM

926 posts, read 1,256,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
I replaced my battery, alternator, tie rods and put in an instrument cluster(bought from junk yard) and I don't hear the 'ticking' noise.
tie rods? that sounds expensive.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 8,358 times
Hi i have issue on my deskboard battary light on. I saw battary light during driving and i avoid this light. During the driving my car automatic lock up and it shutdown whole system. I can not do any thing except tow. Please help me what i do so at least i will go at my home location to garage.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:14 PM

3 posts, read 27,484 times
Default 99 Nissan Altima

I just replaced my AC condenser and the receiver dryer. Everything went well except when I started the car and found the battery light and brake light on. I just replaced the alternator about 7months ago. Everything was fine prior to me putting the condenser in. Anybody have any ideas what this could be. Does the computer have to reset itself?

Old 05-25-2012, 07:01 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times
^^First thought would be you've left something unplugged.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:02 PM

3 posts, read 27,484 times
Alternator is not charging the battery. Put the multimeter on the battery and once the car was turned on, it never jumped up to the volts. The alternator that was in there I just replaced 7 months ago. Went back this morning and they gave me a new one. Put it in and got the same results. Checked all the fuses, getting power to the alternator with the test light, but does not seem to keep the battery charging. Have no idea. Been on the Internet looking for some help. Anybody?

Old 05-25-2012, 05:50 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Did you get all the ground wires hooked back up? Exchanging the alternator is an example of "Easter Egging" and is bad technique. Like 3-steps said, it's very likely you removed a wire, or unplugged a connection, during your work on the A/C and didn't get it back together or didn't get it back together right or tight enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti