Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 07:07 PM

71 posts, read 212,366 times

Advertisements

Let me say first off

-This is out of curiosity
-I am not planning to move to upstate New York anytime soon
-I am simply interested in Broome county
Thanks!

Alright, I'm into Information Technologies / Engineering with Computers. Like I said, I'm not planning to move here, I'm just interested in Broome county, alright cool.

I'm a very quiet person. I've never had any close friends, and I'm not outgoing AT ALL. That's the way I am, sorry if you feel sorry for me. I had to get that out, sorry. A fourth sorry for effect, lol Anyways, I'm independent. I happen to be Autistic (Aspergers) and Atheistic, just to throw that out there. I don't talk about religion, Simple as this: If you try to suck me into your cult, I turn into a VERY not happy person. Okay, anyways. I'm very into technology. Make sure there's a Best Buy and a Radio Shack within 15-25 minutes and I'm golden (Symbolism for Vestal, I suppose for what I've looked up *end symbolism*).

I was interested in Johnson City (among other places in the county), which will get a spotlight shone upon it as compare it to my hometown. it looks like a quaint little village. I, for laughs and giggles, looked up it's crime rate, and comparing it with my home town, Johnson City is slightly safer in all areas, same in property crime, an actually decent amount safer in violent crime. My hometown has like 50-55 assaults a year minimum, a murder or two a year, gangs and stuff, etc., but I live in an awesome area, so I know what rough areas and good areas are like.

I've heard others say good things about Endwell, Endicott, Windsor, I don't know, I'm probably spitting out stuff, can natives let me into about your county.

I know upstate New York is rough with jobs, but I'm a little bit nervous about Informations Technologiesish opportunities in Broome, but you can never make assumptions or judge a book by it's cover. Okay thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 08:22 PM

93,782 posts, read 124,493,435 times
This might help: Southern Tier Jobs

You might want to look into Binghamton's Westside and Port Dickinson too.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This might help: Southern Tier Jobs

You might want to look into Binghamton's Westside and Port Dickinson too.
Thank you replying, but Binghamton and Port Dickinson is a bit of a slim suggestion, and you simply seemed to just throw a website for jobs as if I had to move there and you didn't seem to read my post... Can I get some information about other places in the county? If I am not mistaken, you can live in several places in that county within a 15-35 minute driving commute. Where I live, a normal commute can be just anywhere from 30-50 minutes to about or a little over an hour or so. I also stated Johnson City was one of the villages that seemed to catch my eye in Broome.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:11 PM

3 posts, read 9,235 times
I assume you are from a larger metro area than Binghamton. First of all, there's nothing "quaint" about Johnson City. It's a gritty factory town. Second, no, there are no skilled IT jobs. Third, no one mentioned religion and no one would care. Fourth, how old are you?

Old 06-05-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parlorcity View Post
I assume you are from a larger metro area than Binghamton. First of all, there's nothing "quaint" about Johnson City. It's a gritty factory town. Second, no, there are no skilled IT jobs. Third, no one mentioned religion and no one would care. Fourth, how old are you?
Hey big shot, I think a response to this post is well deserved, at with your attitude, I will likely ignore all your future posts to keep a positive enough attitude in this thread going.

First off, I am from a metropolitan area is bigger in POPULATION than Binghamton's metropolitan area, but there isn't really a lot more opportunity here than can possibly be in Tioga and Broome. I live in a rural area which is described officially as "mostly agricultural". We have bunnies, raccoons, deer, bear, snakes, bugs out the ass, tons of mosquitos, everything in these counties around where I live. You can't grow in my area and not get at least a few dozen mosquito bites, a few bee stings, and not see a bear or deer or any of the creatures and animals I listed above.

1.) Thanks for your opinion. Judging by your other posts and your opinions on places, I may actually like Johnson City, and it probably is fairly quaint, I just need a capable human being to tell me that.

2.) That's bull****, I don't care how bad the Broome County economy is, there's IT opportunities everywhere, even at even hospitals. You know nothing. May it be too rough for me and I don't consider the area, possibly, but I find it really hard to believe coming from a gutter-mouth troll like you.

3.) Good to know, I didn't expect any different anyways. That's the usual New York attitude of Separation of Church and state, I was just making a statement

4.) This was my favorite part. My age is absolutely none of your business, and judging by my post, it does not even matter. I simply asked competent Broome County natives or those who know the area for some information, and I will wait for a response for someone not like you who brings their bigoted attitude to my posts.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:16 AM

961 posts, read 2,508,736 times
Broome and Tioga counties comprise much of what is known as the southern tier. Route 17/86 cuts through the main housing and commercial areas of both. Using any of the popular net mapping sites...you would want to look at those towns(using Binghamton as some sort of epicenter)...as far west as Owego....as far east as Windsor....south to the Pa. border..north to the Cortland county line. As far as individual housing suggestions, that would be influenced by your spending limits, preference for urban/suburban/rural location, and other requirements. It's no shock that the southern tier has gone through it's own "trial by fire" over the last 15-18 years...but...it still has it's pluses - cost of housing, closeness to both urban business/rural outdoor activities.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
Broome and Tioga counties comprise much of what is known as the southern tier. Route 17/86 cuts through the main housing and commercial areas of both. Using any of the popular net mapping sites...you would want to look at those towns(using Binghamton as some sort of epicenter)...as far west as Owego....as far east as Windsor....south to the Pa. border..north to the Cortland county line. As far as individual housing suggestions, that would be influenced by your spending limits, preference for urban/suburban/rural location, and other requirements. It's no shock that the southern tier has gone through it's own "trial by fire" over the last 15-18 years...but...it still has it's pluses - cost of housing, closeness to both urban business/rural outdoor activities.
Thank you. Can you provide how well the quality of life is there? Are the communities around the area fairly clean, known to have some decent people, Etc. That would be golden.

Thank you for responding.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:34 PM

41 posts, read 239,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaCoffee View Post
Thank you. Can you provide how well the quality of life is there? Are the communities around the area fairly clean, known to have some decent people, Etc. That would be golden.

Thank you for responding.
I have lived in the Tioga Broome area my whole life and I think it has a great Quality of life. It's a middle class area alot of the residents are a little rough around the edges but I think there are a lot of genuinely good people here. I have ecountered ALOT of kind people here and wouldn't think of going anywhere else. PLEASE don't listen to the people that love to label Broome County the little bronx and things like that, they way over exaggerate the crime here. As you will see in the link below there has been a recent uptick in crime, but you will also see that the crime has gone down for a lot of the agencies in 2009.Index Crimes Reported: 2005 - 2009 - NY DCJS (http://criminaljustice.state.ny.us/crimnet/ojsa/indexcrimes/broome.htm - broken link)

Old 06-10-2010, 09:51 PM

93,782 posts, read 124,493,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamster View Post
I have lived in the Tioga Broome area my whole life and I think it has a great Quality of life. It's a middle class area alot of the residents are a little rough around the edges but I think there are a lot of genuinely good people here. I have ecountered ALOT of kind people here and wouldn't think of going anywhere else. PLEASE don't listen to the people that love to label Broome County the little bronx and things like that, they way over exaggerate the crime here. As you will see in the link below there has been a recent uptick in crime, but you will also see that the crime has gone down for a lot of the agencies in 2009.Index Crimes Reported: 2005 - 2009 - NY DCJS (http://criminaljustice.state.ny.us/crimnet/ojsa/indexcrimes/broome.htm - broken link)
I believe that the Binghamton metro is one of the safest metros in the country most years.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:02 PM

39 posts, read 142,716 times
I have family who live on 17, as a long islander, this is nothing like what I am used to. However, we enjoy our stay there. The communities are clean from my experience, larger shopping areas with everything you need. The area is beautiful, winters are harsh, summers can be cooler than where I am but muggy nonetheless. i know nothing about the area aside from my visits but it is looks like a great place to live and the people are friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York