Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 07:17 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by owego View Post
Yeah, minimum is probably around .7% if they are all in the triple cities, which is probably the best bet.
If there are 500 in a county with just over 195,000 people(census estimate), then the percentage is around .4%. Like I said, if they were all in Binghamton, the percentage is 1.2%. With that said, I doubt that they are all in Binghamton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Well then there Vestal and Endwell which are both pretty wealthy and vestal has most of the shopping. But besides the triple cities, vestal and endwell, it gets pretty rural. A lot of country and farms besides the five main cities.
I think the OP could look at Port Dickinson, Nimmonsburg, Chenango Bridge and maybe Kirkwood too. After that, it is pretty rural and you have some other villages like Windsor, Whitney Point, Harpursville and Deposit.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:44 PM

54 posts, read 152,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If there are 500 in a county with just over 195,000 people(census estimate), then the percentage is around .4%. Like I said, if they were all in Binghamton, the percentage is 1.2%. With that said, I doubt that they are all in Binghamton.
Yeah, Im talking .7% if they are all in Binghamton, Johnson City and Endicott(pop around 71,000 combined), which is very likely IMO.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Yeah, Im talking .7% if they are all in Binghamton, Johnson City and Endicott(pop around 71,000 combined), which is very likely IMO.
Got ya'....I read that wrong.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaCoffee View Post
Right, thanks, I'm glad someone finally got in about JC. And now judging by many posts, I can tell Johnson City isn't AS nice as I speculated, but I still think it's defiantly a possibility, I'd just have to be careful what area in the coming years I'd go to. Maybe when I do look to move in a couple years or so, Johnson City will be a bit cleaner and Bingo will be improving, maybe in a couple years, JC will be dissolved and Bingo will be officially the Camden, NJ of Broome, I don't know, time will tell.

Also, Owego, check I posted a topic on Tioga County, and you can be the ice breaker.

How would you say Broome is apart from the Triple Cities?
It's not that serious right now. While the crime will be above the national average, which will vary due to the type of communities in the US, both communities have their nice areas too.

Actually, Johnson City schools are still good and graduate about 85% of their kids in recent years.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:25 PM

41 posts, read 239,519 times
Quote:
It's not that serious right now. While the crime will be above the national average, which will vary due to the type of communities in the US, both communities have their nice areas too.

Actually, Johnson City schools are still good and graduate about 85% of their kids in recent years.
Johnson City is kinda weird, The downtown neighborhood i believe was 43% below poverty last I checked then they have the Mall area which is very commercial, they have wealthy neighborhoods up by the school etc. They have a lot of very different neighborhoods jammed into 4 square miles. FOX 40 WICZ TV - JC Crime Out of Control [5/18/2010] - News, Sports, Weather, Contests and More - Binghamton, NY Heres an article about the neighborhood by the hospital.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamster View Post
Johnson City is kinda weird, The downtown neighborhood i believe was 43% below poverty last I checked then they have the Mall area which is very commercial, they have wealthy neighborhoods up by the school etc. They have a lot of very different neighborhoods jammed into 4 square miles. FOX 40 WICZ TV - JC Crime Out of Control [5/18/2010] - News, Sports, Weather, Contests and More - Binghamton, NY Heres an article about the neighborhood by the hospital.
I've noticed that too. There's like an older part and a newer part of JC. That's why I say it depends on where you are there. about 15,000 people in 4 sq. miles is pretty dense.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:42 AM

41 posts, read 239,519 times
Quote:
I've noticed that too. There's like an older part and a newer part of JC. That's why I say it depends on where you are there. about 15,000 people in 4 sq. miles is pretty dense.
Yeah the whole triple cities is pretty dense, Endicott has 12,411 in 3.14sq. miles Binghamton has 44,729 in 10sq. miles also.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:26 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,618,630 times
Hi I know a bit off here but is Owego in Tioga county, an ok area? Also, is there anywhere in Tioga county that we should avoid looking to live in? I'm not sure if Elmira or Binghamton, would be better to locate near? Is Waverly any better than Owego, crime-wise, or is the Tioga county all about the same no matter rural or closer to a bigger town/city? Thanks.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:16 AM

71 posts, read 212,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Hi I know a bit off here but is Owego in Tioga county, an ok area? Also, is there anywhere in Tioga county that we should avoid looking to live in? I'm not sure if Elmira or Binghamton, would be better to locate near? Is Waverly any better than Owego, crime-wise, or is the Tioga county all about the same no matter rural or closer to a bigger town/city? Thanks.
I started a topic on Tioga Couty. Direct your concerns and questions there if you don't mind, I just don't want to get into Tioga on a Broome County topic.

Here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...ga-coutny.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York