Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 08:54 AM

54 posts, read 152,647 times

Advertisements

Heroin Busts on the Rise In Broome County | WBNG-TV: News Sports, Weather Binghamton, New York | Local Top Stories (http://www.wbng.com/news/local/70409897.html - broken link)
heres an articles addressing drugs and property crime
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 09:19 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owego View Post
Heroin Busts on the Rise In Broome County | WBNG-TV: News Sports, Weather Binghamton, New York | Local Top Stories (http://www.wbng.com/news/local/70409897.html - broken link)
heres an articles addressing drugs and property crime
I'm not surprised, as a similar incident occurred in Syracuse not too long ago. There was an article in the newspaper here about how a pastor from Newark NJ, I believe, was getting people bus tickets to Syracuse and the Salvation Army here for treatment. Unfortunately, there has been a low recovery rate and many just going back to the same life. I'm sure the same thing is occurring to some degree in Binghamton, but a lot of it depends on one's choices and lifestyle.

A lot of this could be due to the gentrification of cities like Newark and NYC, the prison system in which most are in Upstate NY and the affordable housing.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:23 AM

71 posts, read 212,155 times
Quote:
Broome County is top 5 highest crime rate in New York State. What counties had a MUCH higher crime rate?? Not to mention Binghamton, Johnson City and Endicott all more than double the state crime rate.
Are you kidding me? I just wanted to say.

Look up Erie County (Buffalo, what a trip!), look up other counties before you talk about Broome. From what I've seen, Broome is somewhere in the middle, somewhere between below average is some areas, average in some areas, and above average in some areas. Just because you're from a "spotless" little village in a county your happy with, stop hating the Southern Tier. I will talk about Poughkeepsie below, which I like, the city is ghettosih, but the town is nice. Look it up on these forums. It gets criticized HORRIBLY, I can't stand it, but that's why I'm not surprised about the Southern Tier haters, same as the Poughkeepsie haters. Picking the bad on purpose because they, what, grew up there and hated it? Get over yourself. I'm guilty of some bias, but I try to say those were my opinions. Also, I don't make it my City-Data career to go and ruin other's posts because you don't like a place!~

And near me, look up Poughkeepsie.

City and Town of Poughkeepsie. Look up their crime rates. Look up what people have to say about that area. That's one of the biggest cities in the Hudson Valley.

My hometown matches with Town of Poughkeepsie's crime rate pretty close in most areas.

For example I was interested in say Johnson City, that's a good example.
VL=VIOLENT CRIME MUR=MURDER FR=FORCIBLE RAPE RBRY=ROBBERY
ASSLT =AGGRAVATED ASSAULT PR=PROPERTY CRIME BRLY=BURGLARY LARC=LARCENY MV=MOTOR VEHICLE THEFT
Johnson City Vg PD 2009 (Index Crimes Reported: 2005 - 2009 - NY DCJS (http://criminaljustice.state.ny.us/crimnet/ojsa/indexcrimes/broome.htm - broken link))
INDEX VL MUR FR RBRY ASSLT PR BRLY LARC MV
944 62 1 7 11 43 882 82 789 11
(Index Crimes Reported: 2005 - 2009 - NY DCJS (http://criminaljustice.state.ny.us/crimnet/ojsa/indexcrimes/dutchess.htm - broken link))
Poughkeepsie Town PD 2009
1,479 49 0 2 19 28 1,430 93 1,333 4

The Town of Poughkeepsie has the Poughkeepsie Galleria mall and the dead and like trying to survive but got blocked off and is being rebuilt South Hills Mall. Also, the Town of Poughkeepsie itself is generally spotless, but see it has a mall and along that route it has car dealers and stuff and restaurants, so if someone tries to tell a shirt, one for the town, someone steals a car, one for the town, someone chews and screws, one for the town. So I defend Johnson City AND Binghamton. I am used to the crime rates like I said under Poughkeepsie, that's generally is the way it is around my county of Dutchess.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:57 PM

Yeah the town of Poughkeepsie has a low crime rate.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:01 PM

Where do you live?

Old 06-14-2010, 03:27 PM

Have you ever been to Johnson City and Binghamton for more than a day?

Old 06-14-2010, 04:21 PM

71 posts, read 212,155 times
Quote:
Yeah the town of Poughkeepsie has a low crime rate.
Compared to the conditions for Johnson City, not really.

Quote:
Have you ever been to Johnson City and Binghamton for more than a day?
Quote:
Where do you live?
You're just trolling. 3 posts in a row! Again, don't expect any personal information. That includes where I live. I have not been to these areas, I want some information about them, and in the coming month I will be in that area again.

I appreciate you bug off so I can get some real posts! Thanks!

Old 06-14-2010, 07:34 PM

Compared to the conditions of Johnson City not really? They have simillar crime numbers, but the town of poughkeepsie has 30,000 more people.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:42 PM

41 posts, read 239,490 times
There is no doubt that the City of poughkeepsie has a higher crime rate than Binghamton, but I think the crime rate for Binghamton gets blown out of the water because I have lived in both the city of poughkeepsie and the city of Binghamton and Bingo seems a lot poorer, slummier to me than Poughkeepsie. Poughkeepsie might have higher crime but it seems wealthier than Binghamton to me. and people always associate poverty with crime.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:56 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamster View Post
There is no doubt that the City of poughkeepsie has a higher crime rate than Binghamton, but I think the crime rate for Binghamton gets blown out of the water because I have lived in both the city of poughkeepsie and the city of Binghamton and Bingo seems a lot poorer, slummier to me than Poughkeepsie. Poughkeepsie might have higher crime but it seems wealthier than Binghamton to me. and people always associate poverty with crime.
Great point and I agree. I don't think Binghamton or Johnson City are as bad as people make them out to be. Binghamton's metro is one of the safest in the country and eventhough it looks rougher due to always having a blue collar nature anyway even in more prosperous times, that doesn't make it the Wild West. I also wonder if "demographics" has something to do with this too.

Again, most of the crime is property related and there might be a homicide every 4 months.

Crime can be subjective, as drunk or distracted driving is a crime, but you hardly hear people mention that in terms of crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York